Penrith 3.5 tunnel race

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like I can't make it on the 6th guys - have fun and if anyone needs anything, send me a PM.

Hi Guys

Just a quick update from today the 6th,

Mark ran his tunnel with a new K&B and after a little bit of adjustment let me say it was going pretty well.

There was no racing today but some good laps put down by both myself and Mark and no bouys hit etc,the more laps we do the more we learn.

I ran both the 3.5 and 7.5 and both went well i felt my 7.5 went better today than ever not sure why just seemed to.

Weather was great , water was flat , Tunnel boats in the water not a bad day.

Mark how did you end up after that last moment? all well.

Greg

Mate,

I should hve left when you left, why is it that you always do damage on the last run of the day?

Boat ws stopped (dead) and was run over.

Damage yes....

Oh well, I am sure that I will do it to someone, some day, its all part of the fun of day at the pond. I cant wait for the new boat to arrive. I think the nex SX is going to be a strong very motor now that I cn run it on higher ratio fuel after running in.

Lots of fun

Mark

Unlucky Mark. :(

Hows your boat? Did you only smash the cowl, or the hull too? Ill bet it was one of them petrol mono boats that hit you yeah?

Sorry i couldnt make it today everyone. Wish i could have been there. My new boat is coming along well though, and if all goes well, i should be there next weekend with it(ill let you all know). Probably wont be painted but. Good old primer and guidecoat! :D :D When is the next meet? its the 13th hey? :huh:

Oh no! Thats bad news Mark! It really sucks when that happens. Doesn't happen very often if that is any consolation at all.... You really have had a bad run lately, but it can only improve from there.

I gotta tell you - it feels 10 times worse when you hit someone else.

andrew_v said:
Probably wont be painted but. Good old primer and guidecoat! :D   :D When is the next meet? its the 13th hey? :huh:
88699[/snapback]

What, no "Macca's" paint job? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Grey primer and guide coat - "Holden Racing Grey" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think the next club day is the 20th? Last chance before the State titles. I have to get my act together :blink:

I hope you guys have some sort of sun shade organised for the event - mine's too small to fit all of you in there! :p :p :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Not good to hear Mark! :(

I had this happen to me on my first run of my freshly painted old hotshot hull. IT was run over by a 1/8 scale GAS hydro - chopped the cowl to pieces it did. I tell you, I felt pretty down - but the dude than ran me over felt much worse!!!!

Tim, shouldn't be a problem with tents/canopies - half of us under yours and the other half in under Craig's Ute cover LOL :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Next club day is "practice day" on the 20th. Does this mean us poor tunnel guys are going to be swamped by Gas monos - not much of a practice for us if that's the case with that much chopped up water around the place.

Gino

I hope not Gino - I have the same problem with the 20 rigger. I don't get to test on the same sort of water conditions that I race in when there are big boats out there, and I can't hear the boat over the gas guys. I have mentioned this to the committee previously. I guess if it's affecting 6 or more people instead of 1 or 2 then it might carry more weight.....

Maybe CONTROLLED practice is an option we should ask for. 15 minute intervals broken up into small nitro (and electric if they show up) / large nitro / gas.

Sound fair?

Hi guys, we have had a couple of requests from members about having more controlled practice as they are having the same problem with the 'bigger' boats constantly running - their noise and the fact that they stay out for 20 minutes doing lap after lap.

We would be happy to offer 'controlled practice sessions' in class or engine sizes if we can get one thing. More people to be 'CONTROLLERS'. We get stuck up there enough now without being their all day while you all run your boats. We want to run ours as well.

So we need some more volunteers - anyone from the audience? Tim has offered so if we get a few more their is no reason that we can't do sessions. How about it - any offers. All you have to do is watch and call the dead boats, it's easy and you get the best view from the judges table.

Let me know if you are interested and we can go for it on Sunday. Might do it on the Friday practice as well if we can get the help.

Bill Annabel.

MBC of N.S.W.

I'll Volunteer to do it for the gassers only, 'cos I want to run my 20 rigger and 67 rigger at some stage. I waited all day last weekend for nothin'....

Bring out the dB meter too Bill - if there is anyone who is a bit loud - it gives them time to fix it before the Easter weekend. That way there are no "surprises" come race day. B) B) B)

Hi Guys.

I would help but at the moment I get confused with the turn numbers! I don't mind helping out in any way I can.

The wof is not going very good. It's turning out to be a lot of $$$$$ I think that I'm better off getting a Villain. I'm trying to get the foam and no one wants to help me out when I ask around. I got a Quote on the foam (PVC) $150, west systems epoxy $110, wood $80, and I’ve all ready cut the wood. +hard wear. I wanted to put a Lawless lower on it $160 and I think that I'll need to run a tuned pipe $150+.

Would it be ok if I used Pollystyrofoam? The epoxy may melt it?

TTYL

Hi all

Im in aggreeance with the controlled Practice i thinks its a good idea,

I know we are talking about the 20th and im not sure if im there yet or not as my son has a league game but not sure what time,if im there ill help where ever i can Bill.

Just on the controlled practice whats the normal on a race Day?Do we have a set time we try to start racing,Can we look at controlled practice prior to normal race days?It seems 9.00am all in run around mayhem.could we look at say the same thing on a normal day.Do the same thing 10 min time slot based on whatever eng,class gas etc if your late for your time unlucky, and then 10.00 race start,lets some guys get in and have a practice then they help set up the equipment etc.just using times as a example.

Greg

Wild Bill said:
Hi guys, we have had a couple of requests from members about having more controlled practice as they are having the same problem with the 'bigger' boats constantly running - their noise and the fact that they stay out for 20 minutes doing lap after lap.
We would be happy to offer 'controlled practice sessions' in class or engine sizes if we can get one thing. More people to be 'CONTROLLERS'. We get stuck up there enough now without being their all day while you all run your boats. We want to run ours as well.

So we need some more volunteers - anyone from the audience? Tim has offered so if we get a few more their is no reason that we can't do sessions. How about it - any offers. All you have to do is watch and call the dead boats, it's easy and you get the best view from the judges table.

Let me know if you are interested and we can go for it on Sunday. Might do it on the Friday practice as well if we can get the help.

Bill Annabel.

MBC of N.S.W.

88813[/snapback]

No worries Bill, I'll help out where I can - can't guarantee you'll understand what I'm saying over the PA system but - come to think of it, I have a hard enough time trying to understand myself.

Yeah, but deal me in - "Ground Control to Major Tom"

cjm102 said:
Hi Guys.
I would help but at the moment I get confused with the turn numbers!  I don't mind helping out in any way I can.

The wof is not going very good. It's turning out to be a lot of $$$$$ I think that I'm better off getting a Villain. I'm trying to get the foam and no one wants to help me out when I ask around. I got a Quote on the foam (PVC) $150, west systems epoxy $110, wood $80, and I’ve all ready cut the wood. +hard wear. I wanted to put a Lawless lower on it $160 and I think that I'll need to run a tuned pipe $150+.

Would it be ok if I used Pollystyrofoam? The epoxy may melt it?

TTYL

88837[/snapback]

$110 for west systems - how many litres are you trying to buy? 1 litre with the hardener will cost you $40 - and it goes a long way.

Polystyro foam should be OK but don't quote me - Jerry Dunlap would know for sure - perhaps post a new thread.

Gino

Hi guys

Dont know much about the wof but could you get the foam blank from the local

Surfboard maker down there.

By the foam blank they use to shape there boards.or the off cuts.There easy to shape etc and the resins etc wont melt them.

cheers

greg

CJS,

I have some blue insulation foam (600mmX500mmX3") sitting around here that i bought a few years ago to make cowlings out of, but it was too much work LOL i think i paid about $50 for a 800X500X3"...

Anyway ask for blue insulation foam at the insulation places, it was so long ago that i forget the name of the place i got mine from...

Kris

If you want to use Polystyrene I have a large piece of it at home you can have. Epoxy should be OK but polyester or contact adhesive eats it.

The blue closed cell insulation foam is better to work with. You can cut it with a hot wire.

$38 for west systems resin and hardener - FMS @ Seven Hills. I'm only on my second lot in 5 years! And that has built a few boats!!!! I have the metered pumps but they aren't essential. I think they were about $25 from memory.

Tim.

Hi guys.

I've had heaps of help from fellow boaters but the general community....... well let's just say that they just don't want to help if there is nothing in it for them. I have made heaps of calls and visited many companies, but today I met a very nice feller who many years ago was an rc boater :D . He went through his cards and made a couple of calls and found a place where I can get some foam from. I will go and see them on Tues. I'm now a happy camper :D :D :D :D

I'm not going to be able to finish the Wof off for the Titles(Girlfriend get's the ****'s if I spend to long on the boats :angry: ) but I'll try.

TTYL

Chris

Chris,

You may need a new girlfriend(just kidding) :lol: :lol: :lol:

They gotta love the boats or they will fill you up with guilt.

Good Luck,

Mark Sholund

Latest posts

Back