Food for thought!!

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lets not kill a positive thread -
If I for one pushed it to hard , Im sorry - But you know the rest of the deal.

Back on track folks, looking forward to what Rod G and Fred @ Lawless have come up with - lets keep it that way.

Hi everyone:
We, in Spain together with Portugal, are trying to do something similar to this ...
I will follow this post with great interest, because I find it very interesting...

(...and I've seen my friend Manuel Xavier around here ... that's very good):):):)

Hi everyone:
We, in Spain together with Portugal, are trying to do something similar to this ...
I will follow this post with great interest, because I find it very interesting...

(...and I've seen my friend Manuel Xavier around here ... that's very good):):):)
I am around here that´s true. And I would like to see a good option for a .21 outboard.Two options :direct drive or geared. Direct drive is described here. I am about to build a direct drive outbouard as shown here (I will show what is necessary soon). A geared outboard will probably offers more advantages but it´s just my opinion (an opinion is worth what it is worth).

Attachments

• _DSC0490.JPG
    _DSC0490.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 346
Rod,

Wow! I Never knew the whole story. Thank you for posting, I wish I could do more. I have always appreciated your input, and support! D8 in the 70's & 80's was the bomb. Ed Was the King! I was the underling to you Giants Your recent posts have inspired me to give you a call and get that Winston going. For you and Jim!

It looks like I will be using CMB Power! :-0

Best Always, DJ

Keep me posted on the new O/B plans. I may become a wam-wam guy afterall! Hearts!

This sounds like a great project to get RC boating alive again. Thanks for thinking of the greater good!

I think its worth noting again.... its important to outline its INTENT.

The idea of this motor combo is to OPEN THE DOOR for new boat modelers and has VERY LITTLE to do with racing.

Please so we dont loose focus lets continue to keep that in mind.

We do get excited about racing and can easily loose focus on intent..

Grim

I am around here that´s true. And I would like to see a good option for a .21 outboard.Two options :direct drive or geared. Direct drive is described here. I am about to build a direct drive outbouard as shown here (I will show what is necessary soon). A geared outboard will probably offers more advantages but it´s just my opinion (an opinion is worth what it is worth).
If I can help in any way let me know :)

I agree with Grim. It is ALL about getting people into the hobby at an affordable beginner price. At some point in the future, this MIGHT morph into a "Beginner" or Novice class, which would be a good thing for more clubs to consider reviving. I cannot remember the last time I went to a race where there was any Novice class offered. People come look at the races, and as mentioned before, the first two questions are usually "How fast do they go?" and "How much does one cost?". You start reeling off numbers and you see them adding them up in their head and the look on their faces turns from "This is really cool" to "This is freakin' expensive". A beginner-level boat setup RTR for under $200 might convert some of the lookey-loos into "I wanna, toos". Which is precisely the point that we're trying to make with this setup. Got a friend who has shown some interest, but has a limited budget? Maybe this would whet his appetite. Got a kid you wouldn't trust with your $$$$$$ boat? Maybe you could turn him loose (with supervision) with this setup. The possibilities are many, and the downside is almost non-existent. I imagine there are many, many older 20 tunnels sitting on shelves with a blown motor or some other problem that could be put together with this setup and made pond-worthy again. Not for racing, but for having some fun and introducing someone to R/C boats who otherwise would not get into the hobby. I've heard from a "hardcore" car racer that car engines can cost as much as a boat engine. True enough, but that is not the type of engine that you would use here. If you're going to spend AS MUCH AS the cost of a boat motor, buy a boat motor, but, again, that is not what we're aiming at. Think "Cheap", think "Down and dirty" and most of all, Think FUN!

"UPDATE"....I thought it was about time to update all that are interested in the .28 outboard.....
David Hall mounted the adapter with the .28 on a O.S.lower and Lynx tunnel for the initial test session.....
David fired the engine at home prior to going to the pond and all seemed to go well...motor is tight but it fired up and ran well....
David went to the pond and tried to test the new .28 outboard + adapter and as usual there was a hiccup...lol
At the initial start-up at the pond David launched the boat and the needle was lean and so it died on launch....
The boat was retrieved and on the re-start a small internal piece of the roto-start broke.....
The replacement parts are on order and the boat will be going back to the pond in a couple of weeks.....
After some more research I discovered the Hobao motor I chose for the test has a very complicated roto-start adapter...
After a bunch more of .28 car motor research I found that Dynamite engines has a pull start / roto-start system all in one enclosure....
The photos I posted with this update shows both starting systems in the one adapter....pull cord and hex drive all in on system....it is called a spin/pull start system...
After you buy a add on roto-start as an accessory , the cost of the motor is within $10.00 of the Dynamite .28 engine...

The posted photos are of the Dynamite .28 mounted on a K&B lower ..... The photos show the dual starting system....
This motor is finished and is just waiting to be mounted on the prototype tunnel .....The boat is about 50% done...
I am still learning and will update you on any pitfalls I experience......
I see right now a good break in procedure will be a big help with these motors....more on this to follow.....
I will update everything we learn as we continue through this project...So far it is all looking good......

Attachments

• .28 Dynamite 001.JPG
    .28 Dynamite 001.JPG
    127.7 KB · Views: 386
  • .28 Dynamite 002.JPG
    .28 Dynamite 002.JPG
    128.2 KB · Views: 372
  • .28 Dynamite 003.JPG
    .28 Dynamite 003.JPG
    127.6 KB · Views: 403
  • .28 Dynamite 004.JPG
    .28 Dynamite 004.JPG
    128.4 KB · Views: 397
Dont look like you need to "lower the tank in the boat".. I like this more and more...

Grim

Evening everyone,
This has been an interesting thread. I've been racing for fun for a few years now, all of it at SOWEGA until I finally went to Atlanta last fall. As usual I finished mid pack but if I'm having fun I don't care. Although I have a JAE 21 STILL under construction and hope to finish it some day, I race all tunnels. I started with a couple of HotShot .21 glass hulls that my dad built in the 80's. Still have them and the original K&B engines and they run just fine. I also have a couple of the wood HotShots in .21 and two more in the class D size and one or two others. I plan to update power heads on two of these this year, one with a Nova Rossi in D class and probably an OS in B.Oh yeah, there is a VS-1 in the fleet. I'm liking Rods idea of a beginner class. It's affordable and could bring in some new racers of any age. A real problem here is absolutely no interest in boats. There is not one other person in this college town that is interested in RC boating. There are plenty of places to run, several large ponds close by but no interest. Anyway if JAE puts out a new kit for this class I'll buy one. May have to look around for the powerplant but I'd love to try it.

Rick H.

Rick,

I ran boats by myself for years before I ever had someone join me. It is more fun running with a friend sometime but I had a lot of therapeutic time at the pond when it was just me and my model. You would be welcome to come to our pond anytime. We are about a 3 hours drive west of you. You can find our site location under "Clubs and Ponds / Central Alabama Pond.

Update- Turns out Rick was only a little over an hour away. He came to our pond and met some of our members and ran his boats. Sounds like he will be back to run with us.

Last edited:
Rod,

thanks for all you do for the hobby! as much as everyone hated on the tt outboards, it was an affordable in for the new comers back in the day... but as you know could be modified to run with some decent engines in the race scene.. its to bad they finally killed it off...Jerry wyss would enjoy this thread if he was still around, and im sure he would have been right here to share his ideas... i appriciate your efforts to the fullest! you are and have been for a very long time a large part of what makes this community great! i appriciate all the conversations we had years and years ago.. keep on keeping on my friend and dont change a thing...

Alden Cost

Shazaam!!!!......I am very pleased...first runs with a .28 car motor ..... motor right out of the box....

Specs....164 EXH - 118 INT with at .015" ...23 degrees of blow-down right out of the box.....I haven't checked the crank timing but you know it has to be very user friendly......

K&B stock Gold .312" carb.....We changed the carb to a rotary K&B carb for ease of rigging on this test platform.....no 3rd channel.....

This motor was run on David Halls Lynx on a O.S. lower unit....... The set -up was still a bit tight on the boat with the 1515 ABC prop.....

All the .28 car motors have a ton of bottom end performance so bigger props are probably in the works but we will have to see....

Muffler was a $13.00 car pipe off of ebay.....I am working on a lot better quieter muffler......... This whole project is still evolving as we speak and we are just getting started.....

$70.00 motor..... $40.00 adapter motor mount..... Pipe is a modified $13.00 car muffler of of Ebay...... for a grand total of a $123.00 in this outboard powerhead....

There remains a lot I want to try and test but I am confident there is a strong 50+mph boat here with a " box stock pull start .28 car motor"...... These size car motors mounting platform is also available in .21 size....just saying...

I really want to thank David Hall ,Fred Howe of Lawless and Mike Walker for their help.....I couldn't have done this without their help......

1st run

2nd run

The motor is still tight but you can hear it wants to run....a good break in regime is very important on these car motors.....

The Zippkits 30" tunnel effort is still going forward at W.O.T...... The initial boat is about 90% done....waiting for a ABS cowl from dumas for the prototype....
I still have a ice covered pond so I have time to get the new tunnel ready to test.....

Maybe we can cultivate some new interest in RC "nitro" boat racing.....this all remains to be seen.....

Awesome! Thanks to all involved.

I got a new boater lined up, and showing interest...this would be perfect as I have an older hull to mount this plant to, so it'll be very minimal cost. At the very least, I'll have someone local to run with.

Latest posts

Back