Alaska's Newest Twin 84 MAC SGX

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aron Alleva

Many of you guys know Charles Siler and his Evil Twin 90 SGX he's been running since 2011. His build can be seen here ---> http://www.intlwaters.com/index.php?showtopic=52753. Well I'm his cousin to say the least and my name is Aron. I've been running boats with Charlie for about five or so years and he actually got me started into boating when he gave me one of his old 45 K&B powered outriggers when I quite young. Fast forward to now, since getting into rc boating over the last five years I've come to acquire a few boats with my fleet consisting of: SG Eagle 67, SGX 45 and Pro Boat Miss Budweiser, until about now. Last season I was able to run one of Charlies twin 45 outrigger on our pond, needless to say I fell in love with it and thought to myself "I gotta have one of these" well that thought turned into a reality as my twin arrived up here just yesterday. I took some photos to show what it took to get this boat to where it is at currently and hope you enjoy this thread as much as I will enjoy beating my fellow members into the icy depths of our pond this race season.

Before the hull arrived we blew apart four and yes you read that right. Four MAC 84 motors to best decided which pair we want to use for this build.

Pulled each one down to nothing and checked all the bearings to make sure they were good, we polished the crank to ensure everything was rotating freely without any snags or high spots.

Here we started modifying the blocks, liners and pistons. Remember we did this to all Four motors. It took us almost 12 hours to complete start to finish.

Everything done, cleaned and polished ready to go back together.

All back together, put on some billet headers and called it a night.

The next big project day was when the boat arrived in Alaska. I had waited quite some time as shipping does take a bit to get up here and the previous owner of my boat was out of town during the transaction of many e-mails between him and Charlie.

Hull wrapped up in his cocoon of bubble wrap and pillows.

Unwrapped and doing a once over, this boat is amazingly beautiful in person. I hope to continue to keep it as nice as it is right now.

Continued on next post!

Last edited by a moderator:

Test fitting motors, re-routing lines, putting in starter belts & test cowling clearance on the motors.

We were having a problem with the Andy Brown black pipes fitting over the billet headers we had on the motors but after a quick run at them with a hack saw and grinding stone we got them to slide on like butter.

Test fitting the cowling on the pipe. This is when it became all too real for me and was extremely psyched to see this come together.

After we got our pipe situation worked out we slapped some props on the shafts to complete the night and got everything buttoned down.

Here the boat is completed (for the most part) and will continue to be worked on for our opening day of May 17th. I'm the guy holding it as well.

So that is my introduction of the newest twin to arrive here in Alaska. I do want to say thank you to the people who have helped make this all possible:

Julian Conde- Thanks for the boat man and working with us to get it here. You're awesome.

Andy Brown- Excellent work on the design, one of my favorite boats out in the field. The props on this thing are amazing.

Charles Siler- Thanks for all your hard work & late nights getting this thing up here and blowing through those motors.

If you guys haven't yet read through Charlie's thread on his Evil Twin SGX, go over and page through it as it is a gold mine of information if you're thinking about getting yourself a twin. Here is the link again http://www.intlwater...howtopic=52753.

Hope you guys enjoyed the intro, I will continue to update this as the season progresses and try to keep you all informed.

Aron "SPNKNU" Alleva

LOL Aron beating us to the icy depths wouldnt be much fun that pond is about 90 feet deep and COLD

All kidding aside that is a beautiful boat and I look forward to seeing you run it

Glad Im not running in that class

See you at the pond soon

Richard

Good job work modded on the engines so look good what size of props? I suggest best of ABC H-48 cup 5.5" really fast

Your welcome. Thank you for your patience and waiting for me to arrive from Afghanistan. I hope you enjoy the twin. Again thank you.

Julian

Good job work modded on the engines so look good what size of props? I suggest best of ABC H-48 cup 5.5" really fast
Hey Allen man they are H-48s with a 6 cup from Mark sholand left over from my Spy VS Spy rigger and we have Andy doing a couple of 1667s for Aron. Good call pass ya later Charlie

Great write up Aron. Just what this site needed. Awsone to hear/read your enthusiasm in your post. Sounds like you also have some great people on your side to get the most from it!

I believe the boat was a Peter Mueller boat originally.

Peter was quite the craftsman, builder.
Great Report Aron! I know you are going to have fun with that Twin 67/84 SGX-2. As Rick mentioned, the hull was built by Peter Mueller in 2007/08. I drove the boat once in Miami, 2012. Hope to see you race it at a big twin race some day in the future!

Great Job Aron , beautiful boat !!
Thanks Tony, I can't give enough credit where credit is due. It's surreal having a twin of my own looking back to when I first started getting into boating and having it being a dream of having one.

The boat is amazingly built, the craftsmanship that went into it on the builders part is astonishing.

LOL Aron beating us to the icy depths wouldnt be much fun that pond is about 90 feet deep and COLD

All kidding aside that is a beautiful boat and I look forward to seeing you run it

Glad Im not running in that class

See you at the pond soon

Richard
Hope to see you at the next meeting, I'll definitely bring the twin so you can get a clear view of the transom to familiarize yourself with it.
default_tongue.png

Thanks Allan, Charlie did the majority of the modding of the engine. I'm building my way to blocks as I was modifying the pistons. Like Charlie said they're H-48 6 Cup from Mike Sholand he had left over from Spy Vs Spy. I know Andy Brown is hard at work on another set for my twin. Charlie was so kind to lend me his prop so I have something to run at the pond on our first weekend out.

Congratulations Aron on your Beautiful Twin, thats a sweet boat!!
Thanks Elias, didn't know it would be this awesome when it finally got here. I'm psyched to get some pond time with it and my club.

nice write-up, thanks. Killer boat!
Thanks David, I figured everyone would like to see more of the process we northern guys go through to get ready for our season as it is so short.

Your welcome. Thank you for your patience and waiting for me to arrive from Afghanistan. I hope you enjoy the twin. Again thank you.

Julian
The main man himself, thanks again. Its been a pleasure seeing it every morning sitting in on my desk at home. Putting the final thing together to get it ready for opening day.

Aron,

good luck racing Charlie, I'm sure you know he isn't going to take it easy on you once you guys are on the water together.

Have fun!
Scott, I know Charlie isn't going to take it easy on me but I know he's in it to further my progress in boating. I have a lot to thank him for, he's been a big motivating force behind doing all of this and I am very thankful for all he has done for me.

Great write up Aron. Just what this site needed. Awsone to hear/read your enthusiasm in your post. Sounds like you also have some great people on your side to get the most from it!
Thanks Kris, I thought it would be nice to share my experience as this being my first twin after piloting Charlie's 45 around our pond last summer. He and I share the enthusiasm of boating and has pushed me not only in this hobby but the many other I have that consume my free time. I hope you continue to enjoy this build and experience as I post updates over the rest of the season up here.

Great Report Aron! I know you are going to have fun with that Twin 67/84 SGX-2. As Rick mentioned, the hull was built by Peter Mueller in 2007/08. I drove the boat once in Miami, 2012. Hope to see you race it at a big twin race some day in the future!
Thanks Andy, means a lot coming from you. As for a big race, Charlie has mentioned it and we'll see how well I do up here with other twins on the water. Building my progress will have to be expedited in order for me to make the Winter Nationals.

Outstanding !!! Some nice equipment in the mad jewelers shop !! Hope to see you guys in Charleston for the Battle Royale !!
Thanks Tom, we've been hard at work getting ready for the season up here. I like to call it "The Lab" cause you never know what kind of crazy stuff we'll be coming out of there with Charlie at the helm.

As for an update on the boat, we still have quite a bit of work to do. I'll be posting again as we complete the many projects we have ahead of ourselves. I appreciate the kind words and enthusiasm as I complete the boat, its all very encouraging and motivating to do my best. This is a wonderful community and I'm thankful to be apart of it.

Hi Aron, bloody nice boat you have,you'll love the feeling when you operate that beast ,good to see charlie dedicated to bringing people into the hobby and promoting with his help ,should be more people like that in this hobby as it very daunting .salute to you Charlie ,good luck with it all Aron . cheers Ace

Great shot of boat on the water an the beautiful mountains in the back ground

Photo A++++

Thxs

Ken

Back