Penrith 3.5 tunnel race

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a quick msg to let yall know ill be sending my entry for state titles tommorrow. I will be using 29.745 am(12) with 29.825 am(20) as my spare channel. Andrew V

Guys,

has there been any discussion re engines for the state titles, i.e. are we running stock or mod motors or a mixture of both.

I dont really mind as the new boat could go either way.

Regards

Mark

Hi.

Just picked up the plans for the WOF 28/30. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Question: if I build a WOF and I possibly want to put a lawless lower on it in the future, should I make a spacer or build another hull when I decide so.

Andrew and I have a lot of work to do!

My engine is somewhat stock but as far as I know there are 2 stock ss's and slight mod's to others. I think what ever goes faster. :D :D :D

TTYL

Chris

I think it should be a case of no tuned pipes for this event to keep it competitive, until you guys have some more race experience. There's nothing stopping you fittting a pipe if you want, but I'd suggest waiting until after the event.

The rules don't stipulate pipes or no pipes - I just think it's a good idea for now considering the majority of you don't have them.

Chris,

Just make a removable spacer for the K&B. That way you can remove it if you go to a lawless drive later on. The distance from the prop to the transom affects the handling, and the lawless is longer than the K&B.

JD would have tested all of this when he designed the boat.

Tim.

P.S I sent my entry in today, 3 boats, no O/B's.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Andrew,

What day is your wife coming - I will make sure I have plenty of Hot X Buns and chocolate Easter Eggs to bribe he with.

Looking forward to see you guys put on some close racing and show some of these other gun 'racers' how to have fun and enjoy our common passion.

Can't wait for Easter.

Wild Bill Annabel,

Secretary - Model Boat Club of N.S.W.

Sweet guys! This is going to be a HOOT!!!

I got my MO from the PO today, but didnt have time to come home and ge the address to send it off to :-( But it WILL go on Monday!

I'm off to the Finley club on Sunday to get some run time up

Kris

Wild Bill said:
Hey Andrew,
What day is your wife coming - I will make sure I have plenty of Hot X Buns and chocolate Easter Eggs to bribe he with.

Looking forward to see you guys put on some close racing and show some of these other gun 'racers' how to have fun and enjoy our common passion.

Can't wait for Easter.

Wild Bill Annabel,

Secretary - Model Boat Club of N.S.W.

86093[/snapback]

Hi Bill.

Im not married! when i said Msrs, i meant Girlfriend. Sorry for the miss understanding. At this stage, she will be coming on the saturday, and maybe the sunday. God help me when (if) i get married! i may never be allowed to go boating again! Ha. I think not! B) B)

I think plenty of easter eggs and hot cross buns will be in in order for everyone to bribe their partners with at tha nationals!

On my entry form, i couldnt put an AMPBA number, because i dont know it yet. :blink: I will advise you as soon as i know it.

Cherrs, Andrew.

Andrew,

Bill will probably know your AMPBA number before you do - seeing how he is the club secretary ;)

Tim.

Sorry Andrew, still waiting for the AMPBA to send back your card and number. Only got 4 new ones oustanding so should know by the end to this week and I will let you know.

Still waiting for those entries to roll in - remember - post early and avoid disappointment.

Got to go now and order the Hot X Buns and Eggs. :p

Wild Bill.

Mine is gone :)

Hey time i visited the Finley club on the weekend and Craig tried to help me get my starts right, but the damm boat kept quitting LOL

I also should learn to start my engine a bit later, not right at the start ;-)

Kris

Kris,

The starts are very important - especially with 3.5 tunnels. If you start a little later you give yourself less time to set yourself up for the start. Also you have to be very careful on your 1st lap out in case there is dead wood - your pit man will still be making his way up onto the stand from launching so you are on your own for a few seconds...... If I have enough fuel on board I try to start asap so that I get a clear first lap. My 21 rigger has a small tank and I have to go in late - I'm usually last on the water and I haven't got much time to get "on the clock" and get the needle where I want it.

I really dislike starting late, but I hate stopping on bouy 6 on the last lap even more :p

Hey at least you knew i was talking to you and not 'time' like i wrote ;-)

Paul Osmand said he starts about 1m40s that is all i meant about starting a little later...i find that if i went any longer i would have trouble with stating the bloody thing on time (some times anyway)

Hmmm i am now thinking about the benefits of a 3rd channel when racing...i am in-experienced with tuning (i know how it should sound and run) but i need to be on the water, i can't do it on the bench, yet...guess i am just babbling crap

Kris

Single best thing I ever did when playing around with 21 tunnels was to go to a 3rd channel setup. (especially with the Thunder tigers - they are a very sensitive carb). About 80% of DNF's were due to needle being too lean - the other 20% blowovers. :rolleyes: That ratio changed a lot once I went to a radio needle and learned how to use it properly!

Do you own a 3 channel radio?

Tim.

Yep i do know, an XR3, which i beleive you have experience with...

Other than the servo, what will the needle cost me? any suggestions?

Thanks

Kris

Kris,

Yeah - I use the XR3 as well.. The position of the 3rd channel buttons SUCKS though - I can modify it for you so that the buttons for the steering rates are used instead if you like - requires radio surgery though!

Mixture valves - there are heaps of different ones out there. I personally like the BVM needle for 21's..... the CMDi / kalistratov fine needle is also a good one, figure on $50 - $60 AU. There is also the O.S inflight needle. There are heaps on the market - email me if you are thinking about buying a particular type and we can discuss it.

You will also need a linkage and a pushrod boot to go with that servo!

Hi all. I spent a couple of hours tuning my boat yesterday. I had a handheld gps unit to play with too :p :p :p I clocked my boat at 69kmph. Its probably a little quicker without the 100gm gps just in front of the transom! Im running a slightly mod ss, prather 215 prop, 150gms ballast, 50% nitro, 20% oil and ive planked the sponsoons. It took me ages to do, but heres a gallery of it all. Hopefully it will work.

Cheers, Andrew V.

My Webpage

Latest posts

Back