A/A 45

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I forgot to mention that is was easy to disassemble the A/A 45 and put it back together. The parts fit is very nice. I did not have to heat the crankcase to slide out the sleeve. I just hooked a finger into the exhaust port and slid the sleeve out. The parts fit on this engine was as good as in the Kalistratov engines.

Yes, the A/A engines are made by the same people that make the AxeRossi car engines. And, there is an A/A car engine as well.

Over the past several years I have preferred the angled drum rotor used in the Kalistratov and MAC engines. However, the Rossi family has been so good about making improvements for me that I will withhold all judgement until the engine is run in a boat.

Before sending it south for testing, it is still pretty cold here in Montana, I checked some of the basic measurements, the bore and stroke are identical to the MAC 45. The head buttons are the same. The rear rotors are exchangeable. The porting is a bit different, so let's see how the test runs go.

This engine should have plenty of low end power for monos and sport boats as well have revs for the riggers.

Based upon how the 21 has been running and the test results on the car engines, I am expecting good performance from the 45 as well.

But, let's see how the test runs go.

Al Hobbs
Al,

Send me a motor for testing at altitude. I have an Eagle waiting for a motor.

Robert

Hello Al

With the Carb Coming straight out instead of angled does this mean I would have to modify or move the way the engine mounts in my SGX 45

Rigger to keep it form hitting into the Rear Sponson tube....

Do you have Pics yet....

Thanks

Joe

I've been away on business for a few days. I will get a few pics posted. I've not posted pics on I.W. before, so I may be asking for some help.

Exhaust 185

Intakes 132

It should fit exactly where the MAC 45 was before. I'll be in Italy soon and will visit with the Rossi family about making both back doors available.

Materials and parts fit are excellent. I did get a call from the people testing this engine for me and at first look, they really like it. Let's see what it does stock in a boat.

I am still looking for a quality model engine dynomometer. Accuracy and repeatability are the most important aspects I need. If anyone sees one, please let me know. It seems like everyone has a formula to determine the horsepower, max RPM, torque, etc. I would like an actual result, not a theoretical result. So far, I've not found anything acceptible.

Al Hobbs

I've been away on business for a few days. I will get a few pics posted. I've not posted pics on I.W. before, so I may be asking for some help.

Exhaust 185

Intakes 132

It should fit exactly where the MAC 45 was before. I'll be in Italy soon and will visit with the Rossi family about making both back doors available.

Materials and parts fit are excellent. I did get a call from the people testing this engine for me and at first look, they really like it. Let's see what it does stock in a boat.

I am still looking for a quality model engine dynomometer. Accuracy and repeatability are the most important aspects I need. If anyone sees one, please let me know. It seems like everyone has a formula to determine the horsepower, max RPM, torque, etc. I would like an actual result, not a theoretical result. So far, I've not found anything acceptible.

Al Hobbs
Al, send pics to me, I'll post as usual....

Al;

Get a hold of Clarence Lee out in CA.

I am sure he can help you out.

Carl

C.F.Lee Mfg.Co.

10112 Woodward Ave.

Sunland, CA 91040

(818)352-3766

Guys, here are some pics of the new A/A 45. I believe the water jacket will be blue like the Mac 45. The timing is 185 degrees exhaust and 132 degrees of intake.

cheers

med_gallery_128_827_4656.jpg

med_gallery_128_827_22502.jpg

med_gallery_128_827_16323.jpg

med_gallery_128_827_1772.jpg

Whats the bore of the carb? The p/s looks great, and the water jacket looks like the original mac. that will be a plus. Crank looks good to!

YEP YEP

Thats the same designed back end (3 piece) as are on my Rossi 65's.

Carb. assembly, outer drum housing and the internal drum.

all held in place by the socket heads and brass shoulder tabs. got to be careful not to over tighten them, they can tend to mushroom.

carb can be rotated in any direction.

Carl

Last edited by a moderator:
I see some improvements.. the block looks the same as the carbs,just from the out sides the carb fuel inlet is different,redesign..the block ,from outside the exaust flang has been shaved,so no silicone gasket/donut grove..the cyclender side ports been alittle enlarged.. the rod has been knife edged..the crank has some serious improvements from the old one..That will improve the RPM's and HP..beside the mac water cooling botton I see different...I'm wondering if the blocks are the same? and just changed the cyclender ports work alittle bit.. changed the crank with different bearings?

People....Al mentioned that he is going to get Mac style back ends made so you have a choice. Stay tuned for a future video of the 45 performing if the weather is decent....

I do not know if the Rossi 45 backdoor fits the A/A 45. I intend to find out next week.

I have put a MAC 45 backdoor on this engine and it fit perfectly.

Also, I have to figure out how many MAC style backdoors to have the Rossi family produce for me. It depends on how many of the orders I have now are for people that want the MAC backdoor.

But, until we find out how hard the new backdoor runs, it is hard to choose.

Also, on this trip we will get started making the 67/84 size crankcase mould and the inner moulds.

I have learned, so far, to not make any more predictions as to when they will be ready.

Hey Al,

I know you stated an estimate on price of the .45 before.But do you have a better idea of the total cost?

Thanks,

Jeremy

Back