A/A Engine Moulds

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Al Hobbs

Legend of the NW
Vendor
Based on a discussion in another part of I.W., I thought it best to make some comments here.

The A/A engines are produced at the Rossi factory in Italy. I met with them almost 2 years ago. Both of us reached an agreement and we signed the agreement.

NovaRossi and Rossi are not the same company. The man that owns NovaRossi is an uncle to the people that own Rossi. The son of the man that owns NovaRossi now works at the Rossi factory.

The A/A branded engines are produced using the moulds that I provided. I paid for the outer mould and the inner mould.

This is the same thing that happened before with another Italian engine manufacturer, but because I did not have a signed agreement with them, they took the moulds and used them as their own. I learned something the hard way. I sued them in Italian court. But, because of how they worded some emails earlier that we did not contest at the time, I stood no chance in the Italian court. I guess you can see why I feel the way I do about that manufacturer

Because the A/A engine moulds are mine and because we have signed agreements, the manufacturer cannot use those moulds to make engines for any other brand name. Because they are so expensive, I do not plan to change them or make any major changes to the A/A engine line. It is just too expensive to come out with a new set of moulds.

Of course there will be some minor changes. But, they will fit the very first of that size A/A engine made. Please remember this, I will not make any A/A engine changes that will not fit the original A/A engine. I plan to have 2 or possibly 3 different 21 size A/A engines. This will require additional moulds, so do not expect the new engines for a while.

I have approximately 200 of the 21 size engines and 200 of the 45 size engines in stock. I also have 200 pistons and sleeves for each engine in stock. There will not be any changes to the A/A engines. I do not want to even change the water jacket colors.

The biggest problem I have is that I have to pay in Euros. As you know, Euros cost one price one day, and another price another day. I am not complaining. That is just the way it is.

If you have any questions, just put them on I.W. and I will do my best to answer them. I do respect my competitors and their products, so do not ask me to make any comparisons.

Al Hobbs

Al,

Thanks for sticking your neck out on the line personally and financially to help bring nitro motors to the U.S! It crossed my mind the other day how much closer you are getting to having the big block 84's or 90's? I know in the past it has been discussed but can't remember the estimated time line.

Thanks

Brad

I try to visit the factory twice a year. On my next visit, we will go over 67 and 84 size engines. If I can get over there in late October, we should have a 67 and an 84 available this winter. These will be similar to the MAC 67 and MAC 84.

I plan to have a 90 sometime next year.

I learned the hard way that you have to visit the factory and talk things over face to face. It is too easy for someone to say "I understand" over the telephone and then just send you what they want to send you.

Al Hobbs

Al , there are really no words to describe how gutsy and philanthropic a move like this is for boaters and hobbiests around the world . Thank you so very much for doing this and I for one will support the engines as much as I can . Very bold and much appreciated !!!!! :)

how about some pictures? Al, i never got an answer back from you, but didnt know if there was a website to view them, etc. Also perhaps price? Sorry if it has already been discussed, but I must have missed it.

First of all, thanks for the kind words.

We had pictures of the engines on I.W. earlier. I don't know if it is okay if I put them on again. But, if somebody that is running the A/A engines wants to put a picture up......

The 21 is $415.00 delivered anywhere in the USA. The 45 is $410.00 delivered anywhere in the USA.

I have been working on a website, but I would like to have a few more engines to show than just the 21 and 45.

maybe when I have the 67 and 84 ready to go.

Thanks for your interest.

Al Hobbs

I guess I should also say how much help some people have been. No one can just sit down and come out with a line of engines alone. Boaters in the USA and in Europe did a lot of testing for me. Most of them would rather not have their names mentioned as they are known for racing different brands. Andy really taught me a lot as he worked to design the MAC engine line.

During the past few years, I visited and/or met the owners of 5 different engine manufacturing plants. Four of them were very helpful.

I owe a lot of people thanks for their help. Now if I could just drive worth a darn.

Al Hobbs

Thanks Al for all that you have done. I sure would like to see a well built front exhaust 21 motor again.. Thanks Tony Jacuzzi

Last edited by a moderator:
Man,.. all this makes me want to buy one right now!!! They are clearly SUPER nice motors,.. And I know that there probably is very little profit in the motors but they are just so expensive to me.. I need to start a savings plan!!!!!!

I agree, it seems like all the things I want to do in my spare time are expensive.

Thank you Rob.

Al Hobbs

I agree, it seems like all the things I want to do in my spare time are expensive.

Thank you Rob.

Al Hobbs
question al? why is the.21 cost more then the.45? Usally bigger motor cost morethen the smaller motor.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Euro was worth more when I had the A/A 21 engines made than when I had the A/A 45 engines made. So while the A/A 21 cost me fewer Euros per engine, I paid more per Euro. The swing in value between the Euro and the US Dollar can make a big difference.

Al Hobbs

That just makes the 45 a really good deal.....doesn't it? Especially for an engine which will absolutely blow any other 45 out of the water!

That just makes the 45 a really good deal.....doesn't it? Especially for an engine which will absolutely blow any other 45 out of the water!
Rob,

Didn't you repower a sport-40 with an AA45, that was previously powered by a CMB?

If so, which CMB was it, the RS45 or HR45. Did you have to make any changes to the mounts?

Rob,

Didn't you repower a sport-40 with an AA45, that was previously powered by a CMB?

If so, which CMB was it, the RS45 or HR45. Did you have to make any changes to the mounts?
Rick, yes, I ran a CMB RS 45 for 3 seasons in my Mutt. The bearings started to get rough so I received a new AA45 from Al on the friday night before a race. I cut the shaft off about 3/8" and dropped in the AA. Ran it in tweak time once and raced it in sport 40 on saturday. Won the class with 3 firsts and a second and then ran 45 rigger hydro on sunday and won that class too. At the time when I first installed the AA it ran the same as the CMB on its best day. The AA has gotten better as the year went on and now is totally ballistic. I turned a 1:26 time in Calgary at 3200' elevation and no where near lane 1-2 as the buoys in Calgary will destroy your boat if you hit them. There is a sub 1:20 time in it for sure at Edmonton next season. I would love to run it at sea-level some time in the future.....

No changes to the mounts. Awesome engine!

Rob,

Rick, yes, I ran a CMB RS 45 for 3 seasons in my Mutt. The bearings started to get rough so I received a new AA45 from Al on the friday night before a race. I cut the shaft off about 3/8" and dropped in the AA. Ran it in tweak time once and raced it in sport 40 on saturday. Won the class with 3 firsts and a second and then ran 45 rigger hydro on sunday and won that class too. At the time when I first installed the AA it ran the same as the CMB on its best day. The AA has gotten better as the year went on and now is totally ballistic. I turned a 1:26 time in Calgary at 3200' elevation and no where near lane 1-2 as the buoys in Calgary will destroy your boat if you hit them. There is a sub 1:20 time in it for sure at Edmonton next season. I would love to run it at sea-level some time in the future.....

No changes to the mounts. Awesome engine!
Ok,

Now this is good information,,, The mounting footprint hole spacing for the A/A is the same as the CMB 45RS, just have to change the shaft stuffing tube length, Good deal.

Now we need to fing out what the footprint, hole pattern is for the new CMB VAC45,,,,, What will this engine interchange with?

As I now know the CMB 45HR is different than the CMB 45RS.

So, who can tell us,,, What does the VAC interchange with?

Back