A/A 45

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The coeficient of linear thermal expansion is

30% silicon 15.4

21% silicon 16.3

brass 19

conventional alum 23

30% silicon with more nickel & iron 14.8, I think this is more suited to AAC & not ABC because of to little expansion in a brass liner

Martin.

Ran my AA 45 today and it performed unbelievably well. I ran two tanks full rich and started leaning it down. The boat ran faster than it did last week with the Mac.45 and I still have more to lean on it. Turned the prop with ease and could throttle up and down. I will try more prop and a shorter pipe next week. It will be interesting to see if the motor performs the same with the MAC style drum. I certainly like the new drum and carb set up. It may be an upgrade to the MAC style. Only time will tell. The craftsmanship is top notch.

Robert Holland

Thanks for the update Robert. I'm happy that it ran well for you.

This was the engine I picked up while in Italy at the Rossi factory to replace Robert's MAC 45 that he let me use.

Al Hobbs

Ran my AA 45 today and it performed unbelievably well. I ran two tanks full rich and started leaning it down. The boat ran faster than it did last week with the Mac.45 and I still have more to lean on it. Turned the prop with ease and could throttle up and down. I will try more prop and a shorter pipe next week. It will be interesting to see if the motor performs the same with the MAC style drum. I certainly like the new drum and carb set up. It may be an upgrade to the MAC style. Only time will tell. The craftsmanship is top notch.

Robert Holland
I watched this boat race yesterday and it is fast. We have some fast B hydro's and Roberts was a few MPH over the MAC 45. I was very impresed. I think this motor will catch on very quickly. Al you better order another 100 of these things because they are going to go fast. Thanks Joe

Rossi has shipped the first case of A/A 45 engines. They should arrive here on Monday or Tuesday. The second shipment will follow with engines using the MAC style rotor assembly. I have told Rossi to start production on the next run of 100 A/A 45 engines. They should arrive in June.

I will start shipping out orders this coming week. Thank you for being patient.

Al Hobbs
Hi Al, will there be parts to support this 1st shipment along with the motors? I am interested in purchasing a motor but I am also interested in a P/S for a Mac.

Thanks, Josh-

Josh,

The first order was for 100 engines, engine parts and extra bearings. Part of the order should arrive this week. The rest of the order is following. Then another 100 engines and parts should arrive in June.

I don't know for certain what is in the first carton. Hopefully I can make a posting tonight that the packages have arrived and what is in the first shipment.

Al Hobbs

Josh,

The first order was for 100 engines, engine parts and extra bearings. Part of the order should arrive this week. The rest of the order is following. Then another 100 engines and parts should arrive in June.

I don't know for certain what is in the first carton. Hopefully I can make a posting tonight that the packages have arrived and what is in the first shipment.

Al Hobbs
Thanks Al.

Do you have the timings for the induction on both versions ?

The MAC has T-shaped transfer ports with a piston with cut skirt and piston ports.

The AA has a different configuration - no T-shaped transfer, long uninterrupted skirt and no piston ports.

Any reasons why ?

Also it looks that the new induction copies a design detail from the CMB45HR - the fuel diverter in the center of the drum is hold in place with a bolt.

Thanks,

Kim J

Nothing was copied from CMB. Instead of going off on the topic, I will just say that Andy Brown came up with the idea several years ago so that it would be easier for the manufacturer to hone the rotor bushing. The MAC program died before it was put into the MAC engine line.

No matter what the number of ports or port shapes are involved, it is what works that should be used.

The point is to pump from intake through combustion, to exhaust efficiently.

Other people have different ideas about timing and port design. I do not think that any one person has the complete knowledge as to what is the absolute best in engine design. Compare the CMB, MAC, and PICCO liners. If there was one specific design that worked best, that is what they would all be using. That is why we see so many different engine mods and so many updated designs from the various manufacturers. That is why we see boaters that swear by one brand over another. It is what works for them.

One time I sent a PICCO 45 EXR to Rod Geraghty, one to John Ackerman, and one to Andy Brown. I asked them all to modify the engine for heat racing in a rigger. Then I took each engine apart to compare what each of these experienced engine people did to get top racing performance. Each engine was noticably different from the others. Each person had a different idea of what it took to get an engine to perform at the maximum levels. I respect each one of these people and they all have provided truly hot engines to racers. Obviously there is no one best way to make a racing engine. There are different ways to get to the same result; fast boats.

The A/A engines are first of all designed to be user friendly and simple to get running well. Experienced boaters will do what they want to the timing, to the head button, and to the port shapes. Experienced boaters can go down to the pond with a new engine and get it started and running while a newcomer struggles. My hope is to attract and keep new boaters by offering good choices and engines that are not temperamental. That they run well enough to win races, so much the better.

When Andy designed the MAC engines, he wanted competitive engines out of the box and he put a lot of effort and experience into each design. I really respect him for what he was able to put out into the market. Much of what he did is now found in some different engines. As soon as somebody comes up with something that is superior, everyone will get on the same bandwagon.

When it comes right down to it, everything depends on what works for you.

Al Hobbs

When it comes right down to it, everything depends on what works for you.

al that last sentence say it ALL. i have been down the path of what is hot, and it has bitten me to many times.. like you said what works for one, don't always work for the other.

I hope this venture works out WELL for you. and thank you for what you are doing..

chris

Last edited by a moderator:
Best looking 45 yet!

med_gallery_128_827_4512.jpg

Thanks everyone for the kind words. So far this has been a lot of fun working with some really good friends and good people to come out with a line of new engines.

Terry Keeley sent me a nice email saying that I was living a model boater's dream. It has been fun and I have certainly met some good people putting this together.

I'm going to run my first A/A engines this weekend at a race in Calgary.

I sure hope they run well!!!!!!!

Al Hobbs

Hi AL,

I noticed and maybe it is just the pic.. but in one of the pictures the two motors looks like it has a different water jacket ( taller ) is that correct or is it just the angle of the picture?

if so i am curious as to why?

thanks

chris

Last edited by a moderator:
It must be the angle of the picture. Now, I'll be up all night measuring the water jackets, lol.

Al Hobbs

Thanks for the info Al.

I see in post#5 you state that the liner fits a MAC. My question was actually if the ports in a A/A45 liner corresponds in a MAC without grinding or modifying the case ?

When you decided to start this would it have been easier and cheaper to simply "clone" the MAC engine ?

Finally it is honorable that you are willing to perform this project - lots of work and money - and probably at best a small profit (the boating community is not big in numbers).

Kim J

I did not want to clone MAC engines. That had already been done by someone else.

I wanted to be able to supply parts to the people that had tired MAC engines. Why buy a new engine when you can just buy a piston and sleeve?

So, the MAC 45 was the basis for the new A/A 45 engine. We used improved materials and we used some design changes to make the engine user friendly.

Al Hobbs

Back