A/A 45

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The biggest variable on the price is what the Dollar to Euro conversion rate is the day I send them payment. Right now the Euro is down quite a bit as compared to when I paid for the 21 size engines. Unless the Dollar takes a turn for the worse, I expect the 45 to be less money than the 21.

Best guess, is it will be between $375 and $410. That is based on yesterday's Euro value. I'm sorry that I can't quote a certain price, but who knows what will hit the newspapers and make our Dollar change value?

Will the price include the header? I assume the .45's are front exhaust engines (over the flywheel)?

Thanks.

The biggest variable on the price is what the Dollar to Euro conversion rate is the day I send them payment. Right now the Euro is down quite a bit as compared to when I paid for the 21 size engines. Unless the Dollar takes a turn for the worse, I expect the 45 to be less money than the 21.

Best guess, is it will be between $375 and $410. That is based on yesterday's Euro value. I'm sorry that I can't quote a certain price, but who knows what will hit the newspapers and make our Dollar change value?
Al,

I was wondering if the AA .45, .67 & .84 motors will have the angled carburator setup like the older Mac motors?

Thanks

Brad

The 21 and 45 size engines will have the aluminum rods. The 67, 84 and 90 engines will have steel rods. The aluminum rods will be bushed. The steel rods will use needle bearings at the crankpin like the MAC and the Kalistratov engines.

While the outer crankcase mould will be the same for the 67 and 84, the inner moulds will be different. This will reduce the crankcase volume in the A/A 67 and should improve low end power.

The P-67 sure had low end power for heavier boats such as the scales.
Hi AL. I know this is most likely a question that you can't answer at this time but do you have any time frame in mind when the A/A 90 motors will be in production. Thanks Rich.

When I talked to Al, he seemed to think it would be the last to come out. I have enough parts for my K90 at the moment, so I am good to wait. So far it has been about a 6-8 month process for each motor. I would think sometime around early 2012 roughly.

Mike

The 45, 67,and 84 will be very much like the MAC engines. At this time I expect the 90 to be very much like the Kalistratov. Those of us who have been around a longer time remember the old Rossi 90 engines. The K90 was an improved version of the Rossi 90.

That being said, there will eventually be a choice in the A/A 67 and A/A 84 back doors. I got tired of wondering how to get a scale dummy engine over the K67 and MAC 67 carbs.

Some of you guys have seen a few of the other engine designs I was trying last year and the year before. I think it is important to note that some of the smaller manufacturers, such as Kalistratov was, have many innovative ideas and can offer very high quality products. They just cannot put out the volumes that the manufacturers we know can produce. I have spoken to some small Eastern European engine manufacturers and I will be offering some of these engines for boaters as well as a small Italian manufacturer.

As to how long it takes to get something done in Italy; that seems to be the way it is. The Picco, NovaRossi and Rossi factories are quite modern and have a lot of area for their machines and people to work. They got this way by producing very good car engines. And, car engines are the reason that they can keep good equipment and good employees. The Rossi family has just opened up a whole new wing to their factory and they have assured me that they are committed to making me quality marine engines. So, I feel pretty good about working with them. I will visit their factory in 3 weeks to see the new wing.

It is really difficult to make a new engine brand commercially successful. Most boaters have found the brand they like best and it is not easy to get them to switch brands. If you are trying to bet by selling model engines, you can't just come out with a design made by someone nobody has ever heard about. If you are trying to get by selling model engines, you have to deal with a company that can produce quantity so you can buy at better prices to stock engines and parts. You have to deal with a company that produces quality as well, or why get involved?

The result is that people who are selling engines in the USA must have a "real job" to get by. That or manufacture boats, hardware, and provide a complete model boat line. For me to bring out these engines, I must keep a "real job". And for me to put my name, not their name, to the engine, it will be well made with high quality marterials and a dedication to quality workmanship.

It all takes time. And, that is what is most frustrating.

Al Hobbs

When I talked to Al, he seemed to think it would be the last to come out. I have enough parts for my K90 at the moment, so I am good to wait. So far it has been about a 6-8 month process for each motor. I would think sometime around early 2012 roughly.

Mike
Thanks for the info Mike and Al. No matter how long it takes with all the A/A engines this is all great news for our sport. A big thanks to Al for all the time and effort he is putting into this. Rich Junker.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I get the first A/A 45 I can measure it and provide exact timing numbers.

It is in transit. I'm positive this time because I have a UPS tracking number.

The prototype A/A 45 arrived and I checked it out today. Very nice materials. Very nice parts fit. Very nice carb.

But, not exactly as ordered. So, before I accept the rest of the engines, this one will be run to see if the performance is right.

It does not have the angled drum rotor design used by the MAC engines. It has a horizontal rotor similar to the Picco engines. Rossi tells me the performance is superior to the angled rotor design.

I know the advantage is that the case volume is reduced, but we'll see it run before we go any further.

Al Hobbs

Al it sounds as though Rossi have used their own original drum valve assembly that they discontinued a few years ago that was on their marine,pylon and fan motors. All these motors from .40, 45,61,65, 80,90, had this same design. I would definately check with them if you were expecting a different spec valve assembly in case all of the other size motors as well are also fitted with a different design to what you ordered or were expecting. In the mean time i hope testing goes well and this design proves better than you expected from your original spec. Martin.

The prototype A/A 45 arrived and I checked it out today. Very nice materials. Very nice parts fit. Very nice carb.

But, not exactly as ordered. So, before I accept the rest of the engines, this one will be run to see if the performance is right.

It does not have the angled drum rotor design used by the MAC engines. It has a horizontal rotor similar to the Picco engines. Rossi tells me the performance is superior to the angled rotor design.

I know the advantage is that the case volume is reduced, but we'll see it run before we go any further.

Al Hobbs
Al, will the other parts (i.e.- p/s, rods, cranks, etc) still retro into the MAC45 like was planned? As for the "performance" part I never really had any problems getting the MAC45's to scream with the "angled drum". ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a stupid question.Is this the same manufactour that makes the Axe Rossi car racing engines.

If so I raced 1/8 buggy with a mamba .21 and that was the best car engine that i every ran.

Got any numbers on the 45s yet Al? I know you are a hydro guy but I hope that the numbers are suited to Sport Boats and let the Hydro guys time them up as needed. I need a new power plant for the Mutt II.

Yes, the A/A engines are made by the same people that make the AxeRossi car engines. And, there is an A/A car engine as well.

Over the past several years I have preferred the angled drum rotor used in the Kalistratov and MAC engines. However, the Rossi family has been so good about making improvements for me that I will withhold all judgement until the engine is run in a boat.

Before sending it south for testing, it is still pretty cold here in Montana, I checked some of the basic measurements, the bore and stroke are identical to the MAC 45. The head buttons are the same. The rear rotors are exchangeable. The porting is a bit different, so let's see how the test runs go.

This engine should have plenty of low end power for monos and sport boats as well have revs for the riggers.

Based upon how the 21 has been running and the test results on the car engines, I am expecting good performance from the 45 as well.

But, let's see how the test runs go.

Al Hobbs

Back