TF443- Irwin Lower & Engine Combo

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike...I let loose so you would not get too upset and pull the topic. I love to get into "warm" debates with the powers that be. What you said at the Nats was that "no material may be added" to the engine. In literal terms that means that if it wasn't on the engine from the manufacturer when it was shipped,you can't add it. My statement about all the loose shipped items was just to stir up some debate,but the rule was actually to mean that if the engine manufacturer did not include it with the engine,you can not add it. The throttle connections and prop are definately added material. It has always been a given that you could change fasteners or add "locktite" My intent is to replace an existing fastener with one that I can attach my lube hose to. I will mount my lube tank inside the boat. If adding the hose is "adding material" then so it attaching the fuel line and pressure line.

As for the reason for the term "sport" instead of "stock" it was to eliminate the need for engine teardown. These rules are a sore spot for me and the reason that I quit as Outboard Director. I do love to pass along all that I learn and will continue to do so. I hope all you others will do the same. You are only a beginner until you get your first boat in the water. I will be going to Flint Michigan this weekend to take a shot at the 21 and 45 outboard tunnel SAW records. Whatever I learn,good or bad, I will pass along.

I meant no disrespect to the NAMBA boaters,but most of them will never get a chance to run with us. I wish we could adapt some things that they do and vice versa.

I think Garrett has a good point! How about a list of approved motors. I have some old International Hobbies engines that I would like to bring out of mothballs.

garrett randall said:
Mike (or anyone really),
To make it clear for everyone...especially us NonTunnelRacers (NTR), is there an 'approved' list of motors for either Namba's stock, or IMPBA's sport .21 class?

I honestly dont have a clue what motors are/aren't CURRENTLY legal...

If there are motors that need approval, that is a whole different discussion (which is where this thread started I believe...

Maybe we can start from the current approved list, and talk about what can/can't be done to them...for both namba and impba...

We certainly have gotten off topic, but maybe this needs to be revisited again. I know for fact there is a similar thread on this very same topic, probably others...and somewhere in that thread there was a comment made, for IMPBA sport class at least, that the motor must be 'stock appearing', am I mistaken?

Garrett "NTR" Randall
Hi Garrett.

Thanks for the questions.

Lets see i will answer what i can.

As for the IMPBA there is NO approved list of motors. As a matter of fact since i have become OBD only one motor has hit the market and its the K+BSX.. im still trying to find out it 100 units have been sold. There advertising has been shoty to say the least so at this time i doubt they have sold that many. Im just not sure.. but IMPBA states that 100 must be sold. IMPBA does not say how they are to find this out however.. I guess its up top me to find out.

For the most part all other motors have been grandfathered in. (i think)

There are two motors that need approval and they are the K+BSX and the New unseen Irwin motor.. Note: this was not the topic of this tread.

I have seen the K+BSX so I know it is out there.. the Irwin is still a myth so to me there is only one motor to approve at this time.

To avoid any teardowns and that type of stuff we (IMPBA) basically have a go no go rule and a stock appearing on the outside rule.. There is more to it then that but you get the idea.. The rules are loose.. (trust me, based on the intent of the class, this is best).

ROCK ON

Grim

Right on Bob...that is why i like you.. fire and ice.. fire on the pond and ice as a competitor.

Mike

HEY GRIMM: THAT IS WHY I GAVE THEM OUT AT THE NATS ?? WAS TO SEE IF YOU GUYS COULD FIND A WAY TO DESTROY THEM HE HE . BY ALL MEANS IF YOU HAVE A WATER COOLED MOTOR , PUT THE WATER TO IT . THATS WHY THAT SMALL NUBBIN IS DOWN THERE DRILL IT TO 1/8 " USE A PIECE OF 1/8" TUBING AND ZAP IT IN PLACE HOOK UP THE WATER LINE AND YOU ARE READY . I NOW SEE WHY MY MOTORS ARE NOT HAVING THE HEATING PROBLEM . ALL THE NEW MOTORS WILL BE AIR COOLED , DUH..... SORRY YALL . GUESE I HAD MY HEAD STUK IN MY BU// IF ANYONE HAS A PROBLEM . LET ME KNOW . AS ALWAYS THERE IS A 100 % WARRENTY ON THIS ONE , SEND HER IN AND WE WILL GIVE YOU ANOTHER ONE ,

GRIMM I DO BELIEVE YOU HAD THE DRIVE SHAFT IN A BIND, FIRST OFF , BUY THE LAWLESS CABLE , YOU WILL FIND THAT YOU NEED TOO GRIND ABOUT A 1/6 OFF EACH END . ASSEMBLE . THEN MAKE DAMMED SHURE THAT THE DRIVE DOG ASSY , IS NOT INABIND ( YOU MUST HAVE END PLAY IN THIS ASSY OR IT WILL BIND THE MOTORAND CREAT A HEAT PROBLEM

GOD BLESS :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I don't know why in the lleh the Irwin would be any different as a [ "SPORT 21" I call it stock... IMPBA or NAMBA],...... KB they out sourced there parts just like Jim...then put them together !!!

It does not matter if it is a 20,000 sq,ft. plant or just a shed in the back yard it is a manufactering plant!!!!! MFG PLACE.....

Jim''s engine and pipe are made at the same place and the foot is made here....!!!

BUT ALL THE COMPONENTS ARE PUT TOGETHER IN THE SAME PLACE........ie..SHED...BUILDING ...."PLACE" JUST AS K&B DOES..........

I'm sure that if this is going to be a "SMEAR JIM'S ENGINE" that he could ship the lower unit to the same place as the engine and pipe are made and that will end the BULL TIHS..............BUT this should not be because KB does the same.....

Now as for availablity there are going to be 500 units for the PUBLIC to have..

do you think he is going to be the sole seller or place to get the engine?? NO..

IF NEED BE I WOULD BE GLAD TO BE A SELLER......STOCKER, DISTRIBUTER

Also did OS or TT or KB send a engine for approval to the OBD or IMPBA or NMBA at the time of release...I would say NOT...Do we know if they out sourced there parts...NO......

Well will this be good for the sport??? In the long run Iwould say YES !!! maybe it's not going to be as cheap as a KB but I know for a fact it is not going to cost nowhere near as much as a[350.00] OS ,as a matter of fact, I know it's not going to cost $300.00 ,it may list price there......

It sounds to me that some minds are made up about somethings that are not written in the rules and saying it the way they want it to be interperted to use the voting members... there is a conflict of interest here and pulling the plug will only prove the point...

Grim I like you and hope you like me and not hold a grudge because of what I have said....Life is to short.......besides aren't you in it to make money and love to race !!!!! Mike I apologize for anything I have said out of place.......

This same kind of thing is why I am in the shape I am in right now...I'm a manic depressive and suffer from soical anxiety disorder and i'm a shutin under going treament and have diabetes and heart problems and am in tears like a baby sitting here writing this................ :(

James Clegg that is why I have not been so eager to join a club but am trying to do so know for therapy. I only go out and run my boats in seclusion in hidden parts of the 280,000 acre Lake Marion

This Computer and Forum is my only connection to the outside world......I did come to James C. to make an attempt at coming out my shell..and he has helped me be comfortable in doing so....

:( :( :( :( :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Butchie,

I really dont think any of the comments were ment to slam you in any way,

I will agree that the forum has got a little (BUMPY) as of late :blink:

I think Mikie was tryn to say he did not want it to turn in to a pissn match over the rules thang again, That thred went plum haywire!!! :lol:

You hang in there my friend, and feel free to chime in on any of my posts when ya feel like it,

Ya always crack me up dude with your jokes and stuff,

Best reguards,

Gener :D

Gene

You where one of the first friends I made on this forum !!!! ;) But I guess I'm having a very bad day to say the least...... I just took sum more meds to make me chilly williy..... :D and took somethings the wrong way.......and said some I shouldn't have....... ;)

No problemo Dude :D

Yea its hard to get the meaning ya want just typing stuff out and getting the phrasing right, We all have our moments here and there ;)

Gene :D

James

You are my number one man.... ;) If you remember when I came to the test pond I was very very quite....... I will be depending on you for help......and moral support...........You remind me of my self in years past........

Hey Butch

Hang tough you're amoungst friends here. Hey the common link is we all love boats. So we all have slightly different opinions - big deal. Life would be very boring if we all thought the same. Keep positive and enjoy your/our hobby.

Dude, not a problem at all, we need more tunnels to play with in our club, you are more than welcome to come and hang out with us.

If the race in atlanta gets cancelled this weekend, we will be testing out at the practice pond on Sunday, you are more than welcome to come down. If the race goes on, i will be up there.....

~James

Butch, know how ya feel. I'm quite around people don't know and subjects I could care less about. Get me with a bunch of boaters and I'll keep talking till after the cows come home.

Always thought that being amongst friends and running boats is good for the soul.

Take care all..

Mark...

:ph34r: :ph34r:

HEY HEY , YA ALL ? BACK OFF . OK ?? THIS IS JUST A HOBBY, LET ME FILL YA IN WHERE I COME FROM . NOW , THIS IS NOT INTENED TO PISS ANY ONE OFF , OR STEP ON ANY ONES SHOES , ETC, ETC, OK . ??

I REALLY DONT THINK MOST OF US KNOW WHAT IT TAKES TO PRODUCE A PRODUCT FOR THE MARKET . ALL WE EVERSEE IS THE FINISHED PART .

EXAMPLE #1 PIPES , FROM AN IDEA TO THE MARKET , 6 YRS OF TESTING , EVALUATION, MONEY , HA THIS IS NOT EVEN A CONSIDERATION,

#2 Q, SERIES OF PIPES . 8 YRS OF THE ABOVE . THEN WE GOT IT RIGHT .

#3 ELECTRONICS. CHARGERS , GLOW DRIVERS . O YES WE HAVE THOSE TO . THIS WAS A FILL IN WHEN I HAD NOTHING ELSE TO DO

#4 I WAS ALSO WITH k& B AS A FIELD TEST ENGINEER

YES I DO HAVE A DEGREE IN R&D ENGINEERING . AND I STILL DO NOT TYP WORTH A CRAP ??

#5 NOW THE BIGGY , THE NEW MOTOR AND LOWER WITH A PIPE , YES I AM GOING TO OUTSORCE ALL OF THE ABOVE . AND THEY WILL BE ASEMBLED IN HOUSE , HERE IN OL MUNCIE IN. AS YOU KNOW I HAVE A GENTELMAN IN FLA, MAKING THE LOWERS FOR ME . WE HAVE A TEMP. HOLD ON NOW TILL WE GET ENGINES FOR THE ASEMBLY LINE . THE MUFFS WILL ALSO BE MADE BY THE ENGINE CO. .

NOW IF THERE IS SOME ONE OUT THERE THAT FEELS THAT HE CAN DO A BETTER JOB THAN I HAVE ? LET HIM SPEAK HIS PEACE NOW, I WILL GLADLY TURN IT OVER TO HIM AND WE WILL SE IF HE CAN DO WHAT I HAVE FOR THE MODEL BOATERS ?? I TOLD YOU ALL THAT IT LOOKED LIKE I CAN SELL THIS (RET) FOR UNDER $300.00 WELL I CAN AND I WILL / YOU KNOW IT ISNT TOO OFTEN YOU HEAR ME SPEAK OUT , IF YOU THINK IT IS EASY , TRY IT / O YA TO DATE ON THIS ENGINE PROJECT THAT A FEW PEOPLE ARE WORRYING THERE A-- OF ABOUT / WHY I DONT KNOW . I HAVE NOW DRO0PED CLOSE TOO $20.000 IN IT , SO DONT RAISE TO MUCH HELL WITH ME IF I TRY TO GET MY INVESTMENT BACK . SO THE NEXT TIME YOU SEE ONE OF YOUR MFGRS. RUN UP AND TELL HIM WHAT GREAT DAMMED JOB YOU THINK HE IS DOING ,

A LITTLE PRAISE WILL GET YOU A LOT MORE THAN ANY CRITICISAM.BELEIVE IT OR NOT WE DO LIKE TO HEAR THE BAD STUFF ABOUT OUR PRODUCTS ALSO . HOW ARE WE TO CORRECT A ;) ;) PROB. IF WE DO NOT KNOW THERE IS ONE ?? BUT PLEASE BE TACKTFULL ABOUT IT .

hi jim i agree with you on this. i feel that jim would know how an engine needs to be built for a stock class. i have seen the proto type for this engine and all that i can say is the k&b's and os's need to look out. as far as everything needing to be mfg in house tell me what company does that k&b and os does not. if they did than the engines would coust atleast 1000.00each

i mean think about it to do everything in house it would take a foundry,a machine shop,a chrome plating shop, and a glow plug dept. just to make one engine.

personly i think what jim is doing is super and i can't wait this is what the stock class needs a place to get engines and parts so all i can say is jim go for it and i want one put me on the list.

see ya soon jimmy

james irwin said:
:ph34r: :ph34r:
HEY HEY , YA ALL ? BACK OFF . OK ?? THIS IS JUST A HOBBY, LET ME FILL YA IN WHERE I COME FROM . NOW , THIS IS NOT INTENED TO PISS ANY ONE OFF , OR STEP ON ANY ONES SHOES , ETC, ETC, OK . ??

I REALLY DONT THINK MOST OF US KNOW WHAT IT TAKES TO PRODUCE A PRODUCT FOR THE MARKET . ALL WE EVERSEE IS THE FINISHED PART .

EXAMPLE #1 PIPES , FROM AN IDEA TO THE MARKET , 6 YRS OF TESTING , EVALUATION, MONEY , HA THIS IS NOT EVEN A CONSIDERATION,

#2 Q, SERIES OF PIPES . 8 YRS OF THE ABOVE . THEN WE GOT IT RIGHT .

#3 ELECTRONICS. CHARGERS , GLOW DRIVERS . O YES WE HAVE THOSE TO . THIS WAS A FILL IN WHEN I HAD NOTHING ELSE TO DO

#4 I WAS ALSO WITH k& B AS A FIELD TEST ENGINEER

YES I DO HAVE A DEGREE IN R&D ENGINEERING . AND I STILL DO NOT TYP WORTH A CRAP ??

#5 NOW THE BIGGY , THE NEW MOTOR AND LOWER WITH A PIPE , YES I AM GOING TO OUTSORCE ALL OF THE ABOVE . AND THEY WILL BE ASEMBLED IN HOUSE , HERE IN OL MUNCIE IN. AS YOU KNOW I HAVE A GENTELMAN IN FLA, MAKING THE LOWERS FOR ME . WE HAVE A TEMP. HOLD ON NOW TILL WE GET ENGINES FOR THE ASEMBLY LINE . THE MUFFS WILL ALSO BE MADE BY THE ENGINE CO. .

NOW IF THERE IS SOME ONE OUT THERE THAT FEELS THAT HE CAN DO A BETTER JOB THAN I HAVE ? LET HIM SPEAK HIS PEACE NOW, I WILL GLADLY TURN IT OVER TO HIM AND WE WILL SE IF HE CAN DO WHAT I HAVE FOR THE MODEL BOATERS ?? I TOLD YOU ALL THAT IT LOOKED LIKE I CAN SELL THIS (RET) FOR UNDER $300.00 WELL I CAN AND I WILL / YOU KNOW IT ISNT TOO OFTEN YOU HEAR ME SPEAK OUT , IF YOU THINK IT IS EASY , TRY IT / O YA TO DATE ON THIS ENGINE PROJECT THAT A FEW PEOPLE ARE WORRYING THERE A-- OF ABOUT / WHY I DONT KNOW . I HAVE NOW DRO0PED CLOSE TOO $20.000 IN IT , SO DONT RAISE TO MUCH HELL WITH ME IF I TRY TO GET MY INVESTMENT BACK . SO THE NEXT TIME YOU SEE ONE OF YOUR MFGRS. RUN UP AND TELL HIM WHAT GREAT DAMMED JOB YOU THINK HE IS DOING ,

A LITTLE PRAISE WILL GET YOU A LOT MORE THAN ANY CRITICISAM.BELEIVE IT OR NOT WE DO LIKE TO HEAR THE BAD STUFF ABOUT OUR PRODUCTS ALSO . HOW ARE WE TO CORRECT A ;) ;) PROB. IF WE DO NOT KNOW THERE IS ONE ?? BUT PLEASE BE TACKTFULL ABOUT IT .
Where did this come from?

Relax Jim nobody is ripping on your motor..

Grim

Jim

Give them Hell !!!!!!!! :lol: :lol:

You know how I feel about it and the politics ......One minute it's OH !!!NO !!!! we can't get no KB engines or parts for 3 years..........then someone puts up tons of money to bring out a new engine with the Power and Quality that OS and K&B want do.....and then talk about the sport and try to trash someones product ............I will run IMPBA only because it's the closest thing to me...............

I say this;

PEOPLE THAT LIVE IN GLASS HOUSES..........DON'T THROW ROCKS......IT ONLY TAKES A SLIVER TO CUT YOU DOWN..................... :lol: :lol:

ONE OR TWO SOUR APPLES................WILL GET THE WHOLE CRATE THROWN OUT..................... :lol: :lol:

Don't believe me............. look what's happening in S.C. right now.!!!!!! :blink:

[/color][/color]

Jimbo put me down for one of your motors email me when its ready for shipment. Ive known you for a long time and will do all I can do to put your motor in the winners circle. For years you made the best pipe even those composite outboard wrap around pipes went fast till ya split the seams out. LETS ALL KEEP THE OUTBOARD CLASSES ALIVE..........Mike Schindler [email protected]

Back