Winston Eagle Lobster build

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah, I figured as much. Thanks for the details of the T4. I like the "off the norm" boats. I remember that funny looking cannard on that everyone was talking about that flipped and the front broke off and broke both of his legs.. OUCH!

but for me it is this one and the T4 are the best.

Why would this not be legal? It raced in a season did it not? The T4 basically showed up and it's legal...but the lobster isn't?

I distinctly rememberseeing on lake washington at seafair with Steve Raible going on aout how advanced it was.....

go figure?
It is a legal scale hydro with or with out rear sponsons. Not good for sport boat in IMPBA.

Miss are you wanting a scale or a sport boat for Joe?
From what joe friend told him it would be legal only to run in the rigger classes in IMPBA..Going to ask Kevin sheir about it...Phil I'd wished you made the smaller version of it...We was thinking getting the sport.12 or .21 and run that in the a/b hydro. Me and joe like something different..getting tired of everyone just about running the samething..also like the T-4 too,that also different too..
You don't need to ask Kevin anything as "Joe's friend" is rather misinformed. As previously posted the "lobster style" hull is not an IMPBA legal sport hydro hull nor is the T-4 style hull but both are legal as 1/8th scale. Although at the rate the gas guys keep changing the gas sport hydro rules by this time next year the lobster might be a hull for gas. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would this not be legal? It raced in a season did it not? The T4 basically showed up and it's legal...but the lobster isn't?

I distinctly rememberseeing on lake washington at seafair with Steve Raible going on aout how advanced it was.....

go figure?
It is a legal scale hydro with or with out rear sponsons. Not good for sport boat in IMPBA.

Miss are you wanting a scale or a sport boat for Joe?
From what joe friend told him it would be legal only to run in the rigger classes in IMPBA..Going to ask Kevin sheir about it...Phil I'd wished you made the smaller version of it...We was thinking getting the sport.12 or .21 and run that in the a/b hydro. Me and joe like something different..getting tired of everyone just about running the samething..also like the T-4 too,that also different too..
You don't need to ask Kevin anything as "Joe's friend" is rather misinformed. As previously posted the "lobster style" hull is not an IMPBA legal sport hydro hull nor is the T-4 style hull but both are legal as 1/8th scale. Although at the rate the gas guys keep changing the gas sport hydro rules by this time next year the lobster might be a hull for gas. :p
not saying to run in sport hydro class,,i ment in rigger class like A B C D E or F hydro class..it might be legal to run in those? since its a rigger on strairoids..I can take a rigger and cover up the boom tubes like the eagle. I wasnt trying to start an aruement or anything.. but would like to know...would be great if it was legal to run it in the rigger classes..

Don, call me blinde if you wish, but I could not find any info on riggers in the IMPBA rule book. I found scale and sport hydros in both sections H and K, both clearly making the Lobster illegal, but nothing on riggers. Could you tell us where to find the rules on rigger hulls and whether it's legal to run the Lobster in the rigger classes so we have the final word on this

There is no specific "rigger" class in IMPBA nitro like there is in gas, it's hydro as in B hydro, D hydro etc. If you want to run an 1/8th scale in the nitro hydro class you can put it in E hydro ....if you dare. A sport 40 is legal in D hydro and a sport 21 is legal in B hydro also. Heck you can run cats and outboard tunnels legally in the hydro classes unless the club hosting a race deviates from the norm and specifies something like only riggers in a rigger class, etc. HJ the online rule book is being updated ......... a long process to be honest.

I know how that goes Don. Took a nonboating club I'm a member of almost a year to update and streamline the bylaws a couple of years ago and there is still ammendments being proposed as of the last club meeting two weeks ago. Do YOU foresee any rigger specific rules being added?

I know how that goes Don. Took a nonboating club I'm a member of almost a year to update and streamline the bylaws a couple of years ago and there is still ammendments being proposed as of the last club meeting two weeks ago. Do YOU foresee any rigger specific rules being added?
As in specific rigger classes in nitro? Not that I know at this time. B)

As close as the Winston Eagle is to a rigger, I cannot believe it could really compete in that class. Seems like the speed difference, and handling difference would just not compare?

"As close as the Winston Eagle is to a rigger, I cannot believe it could really compete in that class. Seems like the speed difference, and handling difference would just not compare"

The last Lobster boat I raced against was Phil's at the 2001 Winter Nats. I do not believe that because it is much like an outrigger is any real benefit in 1/8th Nitro Scale or there would still be a number of them around. The "One Of" hulls like the Lobster, '69 Pay 'n Pak, MHR 9401 Bud Tri- Wing/Tandom wing, multi wing, or the MHR 8031 Circus canard appear every once in a while, then return to obscurity - none have dominated the Scale class. David Jensen's Pak was certainly stout for a good number of years. Larry Maglinger's Circus Canard did well. Most Scale boaters that I have known over the years prefer the diversity of hulls and absolutely love a particular hull because they have fond memories of it. All these different hulls make for a very interesting class.

Let us know how the boat runs, and, more importantly RACES. CHEERS !!! Bob

Very valid point Bob. If the Lobster was so outstanding, wouldn't everyone run one???!!!

Very valid point Bob. If the Lobster was so outstanding, wouldn't everyone run one???!!!
maybe because not many guys are into riggers?? If that legal to run in the riggers class.. I want to get one to race..I'm still not that big into riggers mainly because of the looks.. I do love the speeds...The Eagle from andy brown I do like but cant aford to get it. :(but you guys got joe hooked into riggers big time..thanksalot.. :p So spoonefcrx are we going see this hitting the water soon I hope?

The lobster hull does have a advantage in the scale class due to the design of the hull which allows it to run balls out in rough water. When the water is rough scales with tailfeathers have to either feather the throttle or chance flippin over going full speed. When Don F had one, I chased him for the better part of the season always coming in second. We had a mid season race where the water finally was flat and the temps was 95-100 degrees. I won but it took some real great driving and luck. He went on to set the speed record with that boat so I know from a competitors view it does have an advantage to that hull.

Sponson ride pads done. Turn fin and other hardware mounted. Cowling magnets installed. Pretty much getting close. I added 20 oz of lead (10 oz each tip) in the tips to get my CoG close. With everything installed other than ESC, servo, paint and decals, the boat is 14.4 lbs. So I think by the time its painted and ready, it will come in right about 16 lbs, which is pretty much A-OK! Here are some pics of the sponsons. I am letting the lead soup dry in the sponsons, so no pics of the cowling mounted and other goodies till tomorrow. Mike

DSCF4044.jpg

DSCF4045.jpg

DSCF4047.jpg

DSCF4048.jpg

I don't care what anyone says, building your own just leaves a total sense of satisfaction. It looks good Mike. What do you use to trim the edges of the sheets? you obviously have them finished by hand tools. I have a dremel multi tool and sand the bajesus out of it and make sure it is trimed pretty close before I start. It works pretty good but there is a better less shaky tool I am all ears....

thoughts?

I don't care what anyone says, building your own just leaves a total sense of satisfaction. It looks good Mike. What do you use to trim the edges of the sheets? you obviously have them finished by hand tools. I have a dremel multi tool and sand the bajesus out of it and make sure it is trimed pretty close before I start. It works pretty good but there is a better less shaky tool I am all ears....

thoughts?
Stanley Sure Form planeing tool. Takes the ply overhangs off with out gouging the surface of the mating sheet. finish off with sandpapers

I will have to get one of those stanley tools, cause making WOF tunnel hulls sure are not fun having to shape with sandpaper!

ML Boatworks PS 295

DSCF2382.jpg

OK, lots of new pics. Got a lot done this weekend, and paint is getting close! Here is where it stands right now. I plan on putting the top decks tonight, and modifying the rear hatch cover so that the turbine tube brace will mount correctly (Thanks for the awesome template Phil T!)

I also have to modify the nose of the cowling, and make a carbon turbine tube. Other than that, most of the hard stuff is about done. It should come in around 16 lbs when its done, which for the 10 cell lipo/ 1527 neu power plant should work just perfect!

Here are the pics:

DSCF4054Large.jpg

DSCF4055Large.jpg

DSCF4056Large.jpg

DSCF4057Large.jpg

DSCF4058Large.jpg

DSCF4059Large.jpg

mike,

your lobster is looking great. excellent attention to detail and workmanship. please keep posting photos, they are very helpful.

will the laser cut skins be available soon ?

thank you,

dave

Back