Finished: M L's 1/6 Gas Scale "Winston Eagle Lobster"

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 21992

Finally got the Lobster done and completely assembled ( except for the clear w/s ) and came in at 23 lbs 10 ozs. Rip Tide club members, Chad and Dan and little Tylar, came out for moral support and a big help. Run two other boat to get this old bones and nerves calmed down a bit. The Lobster was last and ready to give it a go, and after a range check of the radio and new fuel in the tank, we said, "LETS FIRE IT UP and RUN IT, talk about getters, I felt my knees knocking. Because of no w/s in the canopy and very heavy high wind guess, I was going to see how it planed and mill, also checking acceleration. Few issues came up to my surprize, As soon as the boat hit the water, it would go about 2 to 4 ft and the motor would die. We tried this twice and called it a day. Suspect not getting enough air to the carb, so I went home to open up the inside of the vent cover and also two slots on the back part of the vent. Yes, when I got home, I said to myself, why didn't we run it with the engine hatch cover off !!!! Enjoy the pics !!!!

2017-04-09 11.39.25.jpg

2017-04-09 09.54.26.jpg

2017-04-09 09.54.14.jpg

2017-04-09 09.53.56.jpg

2017-04-09 09.53.31.jpg

2017-04-09 09.30.11.jpg

2017-04-09 09.21.51.jpg

Again awesome build, patience weedhopper, you'll get it.
default_cool.png

Mr Scale Boater Rick, didn't think anyone would notice !! On the 1/6 Gas Lobster, the water lines are very long and in the neighborhood of around 28". So decided to mount the water pick-up block on the bottom of the right sponson and then ran the water line into the hulls Air Foil Ram Section by way of two 3/8 inside dia. carbon fiber tubes. That made the water lines about 12" - 14", I think one of the pics shows the block and water lines, but need to go back to some earlier post. Sorry, need to learn how to post pics into "Reply to this topic" screen, but I will try it. Happy Racing !!!! How about that it worked !!!!!!!

View attachment 85894

Last edited by a moderator:
Gilbert, the header is covered by way of side Air Ram Vents same as for the carb. Scott, after our first failed outing with the Lobster, had to go home and made a few changes to get more air to the carb. Don't worry you all, it will ride the waters just fine. Sometimes I thing all is fine "it'll work" and whine-up having to make changes. OH WELL, hoping to get the guys together again, This weekend is a holiday so we have a little wait. Happy Racing !!!!

Thanks for the info, I'll certainly consider the same on my next build. Good luck on your test run.

John,

I had a 1/8th scale Lobster boat I picked up from Dom Ferrette and it was a really fast boat. One thing I did have problems with was lift off in the straightaways. The large wing that holds the sponsons to the deck does work very much like a wing. The boat would ride light and about 1/2 way down the straightaway it would lift off the water very smoothly like an airplane taking off and there was nothing that I could do to stop it once it started to take off. It was such a slow lift off that it was like slow motion photography. So, what I am saying is even though the tub is not wide, the AOA on the large wing is very important. I found a 45 degree angle on the front small wing attachments kept the boat from lifting off the water. Of course a deeper strut to keep the boat at a negative AOA helps as well. Just a heads up to watch out for that. Too pretty a boat to mess it up.

John

Thanks Mr. Finch. That's exactly why I took this project on. The bad rap the real 89 U-10 Winston Eagle "Lobster" took, and yes! I know it was a failure !! and the whole project was scrapped. But, I believe that this design and type of hull for a 1/6 Gas Scale could prove to be petty awesome, "DON'T KNOW TILL YOU TRY", So, long story short I decided to build the M L Boat Works wood kit, and boy this became a project and a half. After talking to some that have ran the RC Version of the "Lobster" and taking a lot of their advise to heart ( thanks Wes Ellet ), I took the time to studied the wood kits design and pondered on that for a long time.

Also read a lot of forms as to what was being said and all where petty much the same : Blow overs and the hull slows down in the turns or have to slow it down to turn !! But, all agreed that it was fast on the straights. Around that time, I had been building the M L's rc version of the 93 Winston Eagle ( not the Lobster ) for a friend from the Badger's Boat Club and learned a lot off that kit. For that reason I made some changes to the "Lobster" boat kit.

The first major change: was the Air Ram section, that joins the sponsons to the hull. This was modified by changing the angle of attack to the Air Ram, Lowing the front an 1/8" and raising the rear an 1/8" and also taking 3/16" off from the highest part of the Rams top air foil and fathering it out to the ends ( on top only ).

The second change: was the front canard and flap sections following the same principle as the first change !! 1/8" down in front and 1/8" up at the rear using the hulls side horizontal center line as a guide.

The third change: was to stiffen the back of the hull starting at the stuffing box area to the transom and eliminate any or all twisting of the hull. this would cause havit to any hull, especially in turns.

The last change: was that I modified the bottom of the front sponsons to match the bottom shape of M L's rc version of the 93 Winston Eagle, it has a step towered the inside of the sponsons

John, ran the "Lobster" yesterday and it looks very promising, stayed on the water and really turns good at high speed, better than I had anticipated. Made small trim changes to the strut and turn fin and will stay there till we hit a race, conditions all ways change at races. Duke from the Badgers Boat Club, took a short video frist time it ran on the water, just don't know how post it on here. Thanks John and Happy Racing

John,

Sounds like you are on top of this build. Good job! Boat looks great! Looking forward to seeing it run at the Gas Nats in June.

John

That's cool John, looking forward to that and almost done with the Lobster. Looking for someone local to vacuum form the windshield using the plug we pulled from the front canopy. If not I'll just have to get out my old heat gun and start melting plastic. Oh Well !! Gas Nats will be fun !!

Johnny,
The boat looks great and I'm super glad to hear it's running well! See you in St. Anne.

Back