Winston Eagle Lobster build

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rick, If I remember right its 6 or 8 oz. I bought a roll of it, so I really cannot remember anymore!
thats cool, would also like to see a sport20 or that should fall under B hydro.
B hydro yes but it's not legal as a sport 20 (or sport 40).
Try this in the floor of your wood boat http://www.cstsales.com/carbon_tissue.html
THATS WHAT I USE, REALLY TOUGH STUFF!

Too late! Already started laying the Carbon. I am letting it get good and cured, then I will do that last spot towards the front of the tub. I will start sheeting the sponsons this week. Mike

DSCF2322.jpg

DSCF2323.jpg

You do realize this is making it harder for me seeing all these boats and waiting for mine to arrive! :D

I think what you've done here will really help with the scale classes and for the hobby in general as people not yet involved can easily relate to these boats.This is a great way for them to get started.

Thanks for the kind words Kevin. Here are some more build pics. Got started on the sponson sheeting. Its coming along good! Sheeting kit will soon be available for this hull. Mike

DSCF2339.jpg

DSCF2340.jpg

DSCF2341.jpg

DSCF2342.jpg

DSCF2343.jpg

DSCF2344.jpg

Got the RCboatcompany cowling friday, and my massive amount of Phil Thomas parts will be in early next week. Here is the partially fitted cowling!

DSCF2371.jpg

DSCF2372.jpg

mike,

thank you for posting photos of the sponson skins, decking and that beautiful cowl. fitment looks perfect. i'm looking forward to seeing the other glass parts and how the you're going to install the front canard.

your hull framing looks perfect to me. i think this lobster boat will be one of your most popular kits. great work mike.

dave

Thanks Dave, The Winston Lobster really is an interesting and incredible looking boat isn't it!

I got in a few more parts last week from Phil Thomas. The rear wing set and rear ski's. The Ski's come with a set of blind nuts installed, so you can get them were you want with ease, and the rear wing set is awesome as usual! Unfortunately, Phils hull is an offset hull, so the front canards and wing flaps are not going to work, but I can use them for a great template to do the wood set I will make. Enjoy the pics, Mike

DSCF2401Large.jpg

DSCF2400Large.jpg

DSCF2394Large.jpg

DSCF2395Large.jpg

DSCF2393Large.jpg

DSCF2396Large.jpg

mike,

thank you for the new photos. i see several new details including that threaded rod through the tub. and the rear shoe mountings look very strong. those rear shoes look larger than i expected which is confusing because photos of the real boat on the trailer do not show these shoes but 1990 video of the boat on the crane definitely show the shoes.

questions to the lobster experts out there :

were those shoes only on the 1990 boat ? do the newton drawings show these shoes ? does the model lobster need those shoes to "float the transom" ? how about a single "ski" under the hull like the zippkit rigger ?

any and all thoughts, opinions and advice welcome.

i'm building a gas powered "mongrel" not a true scale so i'm thinking about all options.

very surprised that the glass canards are not same lengths. did not know that tub was offset. looks like your kit, which is based on the newton drawings, has a centered tub and photos of the real boat appear to show a centered tub.

i'm anxious to see how you make and install the wood canard. i need all the help i can get with this build.

thank you again mike,

dave

were those shoes only on the 1990 boat ? do the newton drawings show these shoes ? does the model lobster need those shoes to "float the transom" ?

Like, this version?

racer 504,

yes, those are the photos that are causing my confusion. the 1990 test run "youtube video" definitely shows the rear shoes on the hull hanging on the crane.

evidently the shoes were only on the 1990 boat. assuming the model needs the shoes to lift the transom like most riggers.

yes, i see the guy holding the 1/8 scale from the newton website but still wondering if those shoes needed.

all advice appreciated, thank you.

dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are some more pics. I decided to take things a little overboard last night, and modify the transom by dropping it a 1/4". I think made some foam templates to fit on top of the skis to shape them more like the real boat, then glassed over the foam to get the shape. This should keep the weight down over reshaping with solid wood. Enjoy, Mike

Dave, I will get you a sheeting cost soon. I have some other parts to do templates of, and then I will have a better idea of cost for you. Talk soon about that!

DSCF2402Large.jpg

DSCF2403Large.jpg

DSCF2404Large.jpg

DSCF2405Large.jpg

DSCF2406Large.jpg

take your time mike. i can see that this build has become a more complicated than you expected. re-shaping those rear shoes and transom change(s) will greatly improve the scale appearance and maybe the performance.

if you have time look at the "youtube video" of a 1990 lobster test run. lots of clear views of the transom and rear sides of the shoes on the real boat. interesting reference.

we're building models that often have to be modified for better operation as well as looks. the very narrow after plane on this hull probably needs those rear "floats" to raise the transom. but having seen at least one photo of a 1/8 scale model without the shoes i'm considering options, the first being no rear shoes or a "ski" under the tub. i like the clean appearance without the shoes but have no idea if the boat will actually run that way.

i'll get back to this later after i get the hull framed and the engine located. we'll see.

keep the photos coming, another beautiful build. thank you,

dave

Some pics I found of the hull with rear shoes.

Great work as usual...

Rick

90 Winston Eagle Lobster on Crane.jpg

90 Winston Eagle Lobster on Trailer 3.jpg

90 Winston Eagle Lobster on Trailer 4.jpg

Back