Winston Eagle Lobster build

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AFTER CLEAR:

DSCF8034.jpg

DSCF8036.jpg

DSCF8039.jpg

DSCF8038.jpg
do you have any "time" for sale????

i need to purchase some somewhere be cause i dont have enough!! :(

all the builds are looking great!!

dan

Nice build Mike! Glade to see that the turbine support worked for you. At this time I am unable to make anymore of them. We are swamped at work and I am working way to much. If you find someone that is selling spare time, let me know. I could use some. :blink:

Mark

Thanks for the kind comments guys. This is probably the best paintwork I have ever achieved, so I am really happy right now! I wish I had time to sell, cause I would buy some myself! Now I have to get back to working on the 20+ tunnel boats people are waiting for me to build! Oh,and I have to paint my '85 Dominos Pizza and Buddy Lowe's 83 Miss Rock KISW, so be on the lookout for more cool scales! Mike

Hey Mike,

The Winston Lobster is looking really sharp - nice job. When you get the boat all rigged, how about some pics of the internals for the benefit of we old Nitro burners. Maybe you can teach an old Dawg - new Tricks. Good luck with the test hop.

Looks like the real boat MHR 8910 raced three times. 3JUN90 Miami Regatta - 7th Place. 10JUN90 APBA Gold Cup, Detroit - 7th Place. and 23AUG92 Bud Thunderfest Kansas City - 5th Place. 11OCT92 the boat appeared but DNQ Outrigger Hotels Hydrofest, Honolulu. Where did Larry Lauterbach drive the boat? Everything I have says Jim Kropfeld. CHEERS !!! Bob

Well, I am in no way close to teaching anyone new tricks when it comes to scale hulls! This is only my 3rd build. I will definately get finished pics as I get it done. Lots going on in the next couple weeks, so hang tight! I will have to get some exact info from Dick Loeb as he and Larry talked yesterday. He said Larry thought it was cool! Kinda neat actually. I am going to get a good photo done up and mail it to him. Once I know more I will share. Mike Mcknight sent me a photo of the real boat with Larrys name on there as well. I will upload that tomorrow. Mike

Does anyone know the timeline of the different shoe/cowl combos, as in which was put on when, or at least just know which cowl was run first (although I bet I can guess)? It's bugged me for years. I have pictures of the oval intake with and without shoes, and pictures of the giant square intake with (and one that I think may be without (transom under water of course). One of the square intake pictures I have gives me the impression it was actually taken after the boat had the oval cowl on it, but from looking at the square cowl, I've got to assume that was what was on the boat first, before they got the oval one.

Does anyone know the timeline of the different shoe/cowl combos, as in which was put on when, or at least just know which cowl was run first (although I bet I can guess)? It's bugged me for years. I have pictures of the oval intake with and without shoes, and pictures of the giant square intake with (and one that I think may be without (transom under water of course). One of the square intake pictures I have gives me the impression it was actually taken after the boat had the oval cowl on it, but from looking at the square cowl, I've got to assume that was what was on the boat first, before they got the oval one.
think so.. that was one ugly looking boxy cowl!! They put that on there eagle hydro

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a picture that says it was at Miami Oct 1990 with that box cowl

Just an observation...pics 1 and 3 have a different cockpit and nose than the boat that actually ran. Not sure when this was done but is is not in any of video I have and is not in any of the test footage I've seen on YouTube. Larry Lauterbach's name appears on the boat since he was the driver for Steve Woomer from mid 1987-1989 in the 8710 hull. It had a white then day-glo scheme in 1989. Jim Kropfeld drove in the 8910 in 1990 before the hull was replaced with the 8710 with the big box cowl. To my knowledge they attempted tests and qualifying in 1989 but it never raced as it never qualified. I can go back through my video footage of 1989 to find which races it attempted to qualify at. I remember it being mentioned but not much footage. Oddly enough pics 1 and 3 remind me of a Bud display boat that was on eBay recently.

The picture Miss Hydro posted, is one that Joe Weibelhaus sent me, and is what I based most of my build on. There are a few differences on mine tho. The APBA decal (Which Mike Mcknight is going to send me with my Albert Lee Appliance decal set), and if you notice, the gold stripe down the side of the tub stops, then starts again. Mike goes all the way front to back. Some of the other versions had it that way, and it looks better to me.

Mike

U10 Winston Eagle 89 01 lobster.jpg

winston%20lobster%20boat.jpg

Hey Mike McKnight,

I have pics of a Lobster hull that I took at the San Diego Muncey race the one year the boat appeard there as a display.Version had no after plane non trips and no rear sponsons. The data I gave on when the hull appeared at races was from Hydro's Who's who. That big boxy cowl was indeed the salt water cowl as Phil surmised - I have a couple other pics of the hull at the -'90 Miami Regatta showing the cowl and yet a different configuration of the rear shoes.

The Hydro's Who's also has a section that shows which driver drove what hulls in his career. It does not show that Larry drove the Lobster at any sanctioned event. Larry can best answer that question.

To the best of my knowledge, the 8910 hull was never a competative Unlimited hull. It went through a variety of changes, and the best it ever finished was a fifth and two seventh places.

Spoonefcrx - I'm not challenging you - simply putting up the info I can add to the pot. Unfortunately, I am in Miami and do not have reference material available. It's all good.I have enjoyed watching your build. CHEERS !!! Bob

The picture Miss Hydro posted, is one that Joe Weibelhaus sent me, and is what I based most of my build on. There are a few differences on mine tho. The APBA decal (Which Mike Mcknight is going to send me with my Albert Lee Appliance decal set), and if you notice, the gold stripe down the side of the tub stops, then starts again. Mike goes all the way front to back. Some of the other versions had it that way, and it looks better to me.

Mike
Actually the gold stripe is under the white L shaped support plate (look closely) that was added to support the wider and more boxy salt water cowl. At least that's what I heard from a VERY good source when I was researching the boat before I built the one I had. B)

Hey Mike McKnight,

I have pics of a Lobster hull that I took at the San Diego Muncey race the one year the boat appeard there as a display.Version had no after plane non trips and no rear sponsons. The data I gave on when the hull appeared at races was from Hydro's Who's who. That big boxy cowl was indeed the salt water cowl as Phil surmised - I have a couple other pics of the hull at the -'90 Miami Regatta showing the cowl and yet a different configuration of the rear shoes.

The Hydro's Who's also has a section that shows which driver drove what hulls in his career. It does not show that Larry drove the Lobster at any sanctioned event. Larry can best answer that question.

To the best of my knowledge, the 8910 hull was never a competative Unlimited hull. It went through a variety of changes, and the best it ever finished was a fifth and two seventh places.

Spoonefcrx - I'm not challenging you - simply putting up the info I can add to the pot. Unfortunately, I am in Miami and do not have reference material available. It's all good.I have enjoyed watching your build. CHEERS !!! Bob
No worries Bob...just trying to explain why Larry's name was on the boat since Jim was the only one that drove it in competition. I'm trying to find which races in 89 they tried to qualify it. I do remember it being distinctively mentioned in the ESPN footage of how it was woefully slow and couldn't make the minimum so they went back to the primary hull. Odd how a hull that wasn't very competitive as a real boat is so popular as a Scale boat and I've seen a couple that have been good runners as a Scale....too bad the big boat never ran like that....wait I'm having a Circus Canard flashback now.

"No worries Bob...just trying to explain why Larry's name was on the boat since Jim was the only one that drove it in competition. I'm trying to find which races in 89 they tried to qualify it. I do remember it being distinctively mentioned in the ESPN footage of how it was woefully slow and couldn't make the minimum so they went back to the primary hull. Odd how a hull that wasn't very competitive as a real boat is so popular as a Scale boat and I've seen a couple that have been good runners as a Scale....too bad the big boat never ran like that....wait I'm having a Circus Canard flashback now."

Hey Mike,

The Who's who data I posted earlier was about the only thing of use in that docs. I'll be back in Houston about 7 Apr, and I'll look again for any useful data. The 'Big Boat' did seem to have canine characteristics - Woof, Woof!!!Hull scared the Sam Hill ouy of Kropfeld - always looked like it was plowing really hard. Maybe he was awaiting the diving alarm - Klaxton to sound, and the beastie go down like a homesick gopher. Maybe needed more sponson angle and ride plate area. OH OH - - starting to sound like DP.

Torrential downpour here in Miami started about 1000. Rainin' like a dual cudded bovine pissin' on a flat rock !!! Could use some of this rain in Houston. CHEERS !!! Bob

Latest posts

Back