Winston Eagle Lobster build

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dsch, rbeyer and phil,

great photos. thank you for posting them. excellent detail.

not racing my lobster. going to be a gas powered play boat if i can stuff a zenoah 260 in it. if gas racing, this hull would be in the rigger class, rear shoes or skis are allowed. my boat will be a "stand way off" , "squint your eyes", sort of scale gas rigger. i guess this might be like violating a sacred trust buying one of mike's beautiful laser kits to build a sport boat but i really like de sign of the tub wing and classic looking sponsons.

phil, is the tub in your lobster kit wide enough for a zen 260 ? just kidding, i know it's a true scale kit. but i am interested in some of your glass parts. i sent you an email.

thank you to all that have posted in this great thread. mike's build is beautiful. this one will be another masterpiece.

dave

Wow, I had no idea it had been this long since I posted. Well, here are some more pics. Front Canard and flaps made, rear wings mounted, cowling fitted, and hatch covers made. I will finish up the ride pads and top decks soon. Mike

DSCF4036.jpg

DSCF4037.jpg

DSCF4038.jpg

DSCF4039.jpg

DSCF4040.jpg

DSCF4041.jpg

mike,

thank you for getting back to the lobster and posting photos. beautiful workmanship. please post some close up photos of the canard mountings.

dave

Hey Mike

Could you do a bit of a photo strip for the flap fabrication. Am wrestling with those little buggers right now.

Cheers

Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
Great work Mike, build looks great :)

btw, where is your radio box going? with all that heavy CF are you concerned about rf interference? I'm at that part of my build as well and I am concerned about adding CF to the cockpit area where my radio equipment is...

should I not be concerned?

im running the futaba 3pk fasst, receiver with two antennas...

Leanard the Pay & Pack I buillt for Ross is all carbon fiber..We naver had any radio problems with it..

Leanard the Pay & Pack I buillt for Ross is all carbon fiber..We naver had any radio problems with it..
ok..thank you Roy,

I was doing some research on airplane websites...some of them were having issues with CF fuselages causing their radios to have shorter ranges than normal...

its understandable that in our application, we may be a little closer to the model than some of those plane guys...

im just not sure and wanted to confirm it with you guys

Great work Mike, build looks great :)

btw, where is your radio box going? with all that heavy CF are you concerned about rf interference? I'm at that part of my build as well and I am concerned about adding CF to the cockpit area where my radio equipment is...

should I not be concerned?

im running the futaba 3pk fasst, receiver with two antennas...
Just make sure the last inch of the antenna lead (the actual antenna section, the rest is just leader) is above any metal or carbon (always in a vertical position since 2.4 is vertically polarized) to give a direct signal path between RX-TX and you will be fine. All my riggers have carbon lids and I tend to use carbon to reinforce cowlings and such on my scale boats and the Futaba FASST system works great. I keep the last inch of the antenna lead about 4 inches above the deck typically. :)
And to stay on topic, Mike the lobster is lookin' great! B)

WOW mike thats a great boat i always liked that boat makes me want to buy one..

are you going to have the flaps on the nose functional like Rob Duckerings hydro that would be great.. Keep up the good work..

julian

Thanks for the comments everyone. I think Don summed up the radio reception question. I personally have not experienced issues. I will also get some close ups of the canards and flaps. The canards are just glued, and stainless screwed to the keelson and engine well sides. The flaps have a brass tube threw them, then have steel pins inserted, and the keelson and engine well sides also have brass tubes for the steel rods to swivel. Nothing fancy. I am saving the fancy canard flap with gyro for my Albert Lee T6 build!

That would be cool to have them funcional like the real boats. Keep us posted on the build I'm quite interested on seeing the boat finished maybe I'll get me one in due time.

Julian

If you plan to race it, I don't believe IMPBA or NAMBA allows a "ski" under the hull.
BBY hulls of that boat is NAMBA legal but not IMPBA legal,thinking its do to not having the rear shoes?..Question??? would this boat be concitered a rigger since it looks like a rigger on stairoides..Was told it would be ran in a rigger class..Joe wants to build one..

Why would this not be legal? It raced in a season did it not? The T4 basically showed up and it's legal...but the lobster isn't?

I distinctly rememberseeing on lake washington at seafair with Steve Raible going on aout how advanced it was.....

go figure?

Why would this not be legal? It raced in a season did it not? The T4 basically showed up and it's legal...but the lobster isn't?

I distinctly rememberseeing on lake washington at seafair with Steve Raible going on aout how advanced it was.....

go figure?
It is a legal scale hydro with or with out rear sponsons. Not good for sport boat in IMPBA.

Miss are you wanting a scale or a sport boat for Joe?

That would be cool to have them funcional like the real boats. Keep us posted on the build I'm quite interested on seeing the boat finished maybe I'll get me one in due time.

Julian
I had one of my Winston Lobster epoxyglass kit boats setup that way.

I had the front flaps controlled by a fouth channel on my Winston Eagle. They held the boat on the water in wind and you could loosen it up and get about 5mph more on calm water.

go figure?
The t-4 did race also. Here in Madison in fact.

"The t-4 did race also. Here in Madison in fact."

Hey Bigbird,

Hydro's Who's Who shows MHR 9401 94-95 U-1 Bud T-4 in 1994: as 'Did Not Qualify' at the Sept 18 San Diego Bayfair - It appeared, but 'Did Not Compete' at Jun 5 Exide Batteries APBA Gold Cup, Detroit; Jun 12 Texas Hydrofest, Lewisville, TX; and Aug 7 Texaco Cup, Seattle, WA.

In 1995 the hull was the No. 1 Qualifer, and placed 6th at the July 2 Budweiser Indiana Govenor's Cup in Madison with Mark Evans driving. Hull did not race with any Canard wing as decorded on ESPN coverage of the event.

Who's Who indicates the hull appeared, but 'Did Not Compete' at Jun 4 APBA Gold Cup Detroit; Jun 18 Texaco Starmart Hydrofair, Kansas City, MO; JUn 25Pontiac Thunder on the Ohio, Evansville; Jul16 Texas Hydrofest '95, Lewisville; Jul 30 Columbia Cup,Tri-Cities, WA; and Aug 6 Texaco Cup, Seattle WA.

CHEERS !!! Bob

go figure?
It is a legal scale hydro with or with out rear sponsons. Not good for sport boat in IMPBA.

Miss are you wanting a scale or a sport boat for Joe?
From what joe friend told him it would be legal only to run in the rigger classes in IMPBA..Going to ask Kevin sheir about it...Phil I'd wished you made the smaller version of it...We was thinking getting the sport.12 or .21 and run that in the a/b hydro. Me and joe like something different..getting tired of everyone just about running the samething..also like the T-4 too,that also different too..

Back