Sport 20 Shovel Nose design

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SEEMS WE WERE BOTH DOING AN ENTRY AT THE SAME TIME, BRO!!!!!!!

RESPECT YOUR ELEDERS DIDN'T YOUR MOMMA TEACH YOU BETTER B) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

No appologies needed, I'm just having a good laugh at work trying to keep up with you guys, LOL ;) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not on the older round nose boats. The newer turbine boats have the center hull cection offset, so that is why the strut is offset to one side of the "engine center tub" to bring it back to the centerline of the hull. In fact if you look at the transom of your new "Oberto" hull you will see what I'm talking about.

I don't know how "serious" you want to get about this drawing,,But at some "point"We're going to have to get some scale parameters of some of the metal parts in

this thing so we know what to change.
I have a Speedmaster mini mount for a .21 engine, & a .21 size Speedmaster rudder assembly. the only thing I don't have is a strut. I can make a CAD model of that parts I have, but unless some one will loan me a .21 size strut for a hydro, I will need someone to make me a drawing with dimensions of one so I can make a model of it for this design.

So leave the transom where it is then. Jerry, I think I know what you are talking about with the drop sponson design; I'll see what I can do on my lunch break.

wswatzell said:
I don't know how "serious" you want to get about this drawing,,But at some "point"We're going to have to get some scale parameters of some of the metal parts in

this thing so we know what to change.
I have a Speedmaster mini mount for a .21 engine, & a .21 size Speedmaster rudder assembly. the only thing I don't have is a strut. I can make a CAD model of that parts I have, but unless some one will loan me a .21 size strut for a hydro, I will need someone to make me a drawing with dimensions of one so I can make a model of it for this design.

So leave the transom where it is then. Jerry, I think I know what you are talking about with the drop sponson design; I'll see what I can do on my lunch break.

80900[/snapback]

Morning Wade, Alas,,I don't have a strut either even though I have a "Miss Supertest" in the box,,that job is going to wait awile.

Looks like the transom is ok,,,i guess :unsure:

Hey Wade, Yeah,,Looks Great,,,at least you can see that it Has a drop :)

I'm indifferent about the "Hood",,kumsea, Kumsaw,or however you spell it :lol: :p

(the"hood is the thing Rodney wanted,right?) :huh:

Hey thanks Brain, I have that picture saved on my computer (part of my screen saver collection ;) ) I now know more of what of what Rodney was talking about by a gradual sweep back. I like that look a lot more, than what I have now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Wade,

That drop looks perfect!!!!!! As to the overhang of the deck by the sponson transom I can't say, it's your design, dare to be different! It's an easy job for the builder to cange the shape of the overhang. ;)

Paul.

The boats looking good. A couple things I remmemer about my little shovel nose was it ran a very shallow strut, and a very short ruddar. The turn fin blade was actually flat because the bracket was cocked at a slight angle. What about your cowling? I'm not sure by the small size of a 20 hull but you might can do two styles....Here's a pic of one of my favorite boats:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm really scratching my head about the cowl. That open engine bay would make it easier, but unless someone made a dummy engine to cover the nitro engine, I don't think it would look quite right. I think a full cowl like the second picture would defiantly make it easier to hide the engine, but harder to make. I just don't know yet.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for a cowling solution. Unfortuately , my friend Chester who recently died was great at making things like engine molds.

The other thing might be worth looking for would be a scale plastic model kit of an engine, something from Monogram or Revell........that would really make it easy to make a mold from, you could make the mold from plaster and then just pour your own, they could be sold as a "assembly required kit". I've seen people make simple hooky covers out of thin plywood and detail it from there.

Another option, is to include plans for both an enclosed engine cowl, & an exposed engine version. Since these are going to be for the free plans section, If some one wants to make a dummy engine cover, that would be cool.

A "plug" for Vac-u-forming would not be hard to make,,accually the Vac-u-former

devise is not hard to make either. A formed "hood" would be Far more attractive

than a scale airplane engine sticking out there at a 25deg angle. The seat and Fin

or whatever can also be made from Vacu plastic and it would be very lite. :)

Latest posts

Back