My Brain Dump on RC Boating Organization

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You missed the point Roger. Rather than sitting back telling people how to do it you should be one of the ones right there in the mix pushing for doing it. You've got some good ideas and it's far easier to implement them from a position within the ranks and make said ideas become reality than to beat on your chest in a public forum about it in the hopes of motivating someone else to do it. All the best ideas, intentions and solutions in the world don't mean jack diddilly squat if they die on the politcal table and we've all seen that happen. Being an active member of the organizations board is the key to seeing things through from start to finish rather telling someone how to do it and hope they are as passionate about it as you are. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Roger,

1. Can you copy me on this brochure??

7. I've even created the organization Brochure (It's done! Complete!... Not just words but action!) to make easier for any member with a desire to promote the organization. And this had been presented to the "Governing Body"... So once again... I think that is "Actively Involved"

2. How does one go about setting up a NAMBA store. Would this be a virtual store or a "garage activity" that someone needs to man. I would like to see NAMBA generate an income stream to promote and implement new ideas.

3. I want to see some NAMBA hats and shirts with new logos. What does it cost to have someone design a new logo?

Thanks,

Robert Holland

You missed the point Roger. Rather than sitting back telling people how to do it you should be one of the ones right there in the mix pushing for doing it. You've got some good ideas and it's far easier to implement them from a position within the ranks and make said ideas become reality than to beat on your chest in a public forum about it in the hopes of motivating someone else to do it. All the best ideas, intentions and solutions in the world don't mean jack diddilly squat if they die on the politcal table and we've all seen that happen. Being an active member of the organizations board is the key to seeing things through from start to finish rather telling someone how to do it and hope they are as passionate about it as you are. ;)
That is exactly my point. You may not realize this but you make people think they can't make a significant contribution if they don't hold an office. Much of what I said, I have already done... and or doing... simply and only as a common member with no political influence whatsoever. All I have is a mind and a desire to do it then... I execute.

For those that may not know how to I am available to teach and help.

Besides I have been blessed or cursed with many talents allowing me to do many things. So if I am the guy that does the logo, hits up sponsors, chases down media, finds lakesites and also all the politics fighting for the right to do it. That's kind of a lot don't you think? I am okay with someone else fighting for it and they come to me when they are ready to execute and I can pound the pavement just as I always have done. Sounds like a fair balance there don't you think?

Roger,

7. I've even created the organization Brochure (It's done! Complete!... Not just words but action!) to make easier for any member with a desire to promote the organization. And this had been presented to the "Governing Body"... So once again... I think that is "Actively Involved"

2. How does one go about setting up a NAMBA store. Would this be a virtual store or a "garage activity" that someone needs to man. I would like to see NAMBA generate an income stream to promote and implement new ideas.

3. I want to see some NAMBA hats and shirts with new logos. What does it cost to have someone design a new logo?

Thanks,

Robert Holland
I sent it with the first email I sent you along with examples of sponsor proposals

Logo??? We have approval for this??? You already know who can do it but to be fair open the invitation up for anyone to submit ideas and let the Board choose the best one... or not... whatever you all decide.

Store??? If we truly want to pursue this perhaps we can look for a fulfillment option. In this internet age I would be surprised if there wasn't something out there that would handle production, manage inventory and shipping and all the organization does is take orders. Let's look around and see what we come up with.

That is exactly my point. You may not realize this but you make people think they can't make a significant contribution if they don't hold an office. Much of what I said, I have already done... and or doing... simply and only as a common member with no political influence whatsoever. All I have is a mind and a desire to do it then... I execute.

Never mind Roger, you just have fun up there on your soapbox. :)

Don, today at work - someone came up to me with a peice of paper in hand, and asked me where they could find this building. I pointed acrossed the street. They said: "Thank You" and walked in the opposite direction? :blink: :D

Roger,

Thanks,

Robert Holland
I sent it with the first email I sent you along with examples of sponsor proposals

Logo??? We have approval for this??? You already know who can do it but to be fair open the invitation up for anyone to submit ideas and let the Board choose the best one... or not... whatever you all decide.

Store??? If we truly want to pursue this perhaps we can look for a fulfillment option. In this internet age I would be surprised if there wasn't something out there that would handle production, manage inventory and shipping and all the organization does is take orders. Let's look around and see what we come up with.
Roger,

If you could resend, that would be helpful.

New logo is something I will be working on in the near future. I will solicit design ideas and possible cost shortly. As you know I would like to get a new logo for NAMBA but I alone cannot approve this. It cost money to do this and it needs to be approved but it is an item I will be spear heading.

Store... Generating additional revenue is important to me so we don't use/deplete the general fund. A NAMBA store seems like a logical idea but I have NO idea on how this works. When you say LETS work on this, you need to provide me with direction or you need to move forward on how we do this so I can present it to the board. Ball is in your court on this one.

It is very possible that IMPBA could benefit from your work on this as well. If we could set it up maybe they would be interested in your model to help them generate additional income.

Get working my friend B) B)

Robert Holland

Couple of things. First an E-store is not a problem at all. In fact Google and Amazon offer these out of the box you just set them up and link to your webpage and they do everything including collect the money, credit cards etc. My company has done many of these so if all are willing we can get this going in short order. Fufillment is a different story. Someone has to design and order the product and then fufill the orders. I am sure we can find volunteers to do fufillment.

Secondly I would like to throw some props Roger's way also. I think he has fairly or unfairly identified some areas that he sees as areas we can improve as an organization and to his credit he did not criticize without offering solutions. Contributing does not always mean doing. Sometimes the benefits of ones experiences and opinions are a good as a 100 hours of back labor. With that said there was a lot said here and a lot of ideas. Someone has to champion them or like Don said they just die.

There is an old business axiom that states: "Business generally do not fail because they do not have good ideas, they fail because the fail to implement them".

Just my two cents, back to sanding my boats.

D

Oh, one last thing (putting down my sanding block again), one of the things I have really noticed about this site is the wealth of talent and resources available from the membership. Logo design? Maybe we put out a post soliciting the help of a graphic artist? I started a Helicopter club back in the 90's we put a call out for just such a thing and low and behold the friend of one of our members was a graphics artist who gladly developed a complete indentity package for us....cost $0.00 value...priceless...

D

Couple of things. First an E-store is not a problem at all. In fact Google and Amazon offer these out of the box you just set them up and link to your webpage and they do everything including collect the money, credit cards etc. My company has done many of these so if all are willing we can get this going in short order. Fufillment is a different story. Someone has to design and order the product and then fufill the orders. I am sure we can find volunteers to do fufillment.

Secondly I would like to throw some props Roger's way also. I think he has fairly or unfairly identified some areas that he sees as areas we can improve as an organization and to his credit he did not criticize without offering solutions. Contributing does not always mean doing. Sometimes the benefits of ones experiences and opinions are a good as a 100 hours of back labor. With that said there was a lot said here and a lot of ideas. Someone has to champion them or like Don said they just die.

There is an old business axiom that states: "Business generally do not fail because they do not have good ideas, they fail because the fail to implement them".

D

Dave,

Please elaborate on the process and cost if you could. What do you mean by fulfillment???

I have seen an e-store called cafe express but I am not sure what they do or how much they handle. Does anyone have experience with them?

Robert

D

Dave,

Please elaborate on the process and cost if you could. What do you mean by fulfillment???

I have seen an e-store called cafe express but I am not sure what they do or how much they handle. Does anyone have experience with them?

Robert
I have used cafe press for several projects. They are an excellent fullfillment solution... meaning producing the orders taking the orders and shipping them out just the product is limited in some ways and the quality is so... so... But I will do some research... to see if their is a solution out there for silkscreened products versus Iron-On like Cafe Press.

Roger,

Thanks,

Robert Holland

Roger,

New logo is something I will be working on in the near future. I will solicit design ideas and possible cost shortly. As you know I would like to get a new logo for NAMBA but I alone cannot approve this. It cost money to do this and it needs to be approved but it is an item I will be spear heading.

Store... Generating additional revenue is important to me so we don't use/deplete the general fund. A NAMBA store seems like a logical idea but I have NO idea on how this works. When you say LETS work on this, you need to provide me with direction or you need to move forward on how we do this so I can present it to the board. Ball is in your court on this one.

It is very possible that IMPBA could benefit from your work on this as well. If we could set it up maybe they would be interested in your model to help them generate additional income.

Robert Holland
You must mean "Keep Working" LOL!

I guess... If you must label then so be it.

I am just a guy trying to do what he can to improve something he loves.

I'd prefer to say I have fun up there standing on my passion. :)

Roger,

Thanks,

Robert Holland

Roger,

Robert Holland
Okay I have resent the brochure along with a sample of a proposal to Corporate sponsors and a T-Shirt Design that I worked on that is more line with today's "Fox Racing", "No Fear" Graphic Tee Designs. The brochure is a simple two sided design that can be printed out on anyone's printer (color or black and white) then folded in threes. This can be easily loaded to the website for easy access and use by any member who would like to present NAMBA to sponsors or lake site possibilities. I am happy to make any additions or corrections that the governing body feels necessary.

Roger,

Thanks,

Robert Holland
The NAMBA store could handle the OFFICIAL club and district tshirts and accessories, like NAMBA aprons, buoys... All good stuff.

Roger,

Thanks,

Robert Holland
The NAMBA store could handle the OFFICIAL club and district tshirts and accessories, like NAMBA aprons, buoys... All good stuff.
Bouys???

Official NAMBA imprinted Bouys??? Now that is a cool idea. All bought from the NAMBA store. Might be able to reduce cost for districts too since NAMBA could buy all the buoys for the entire organization in one bulk order. Fullfillment is the key to the ease in management though. Need a source to manufacture and ship to several locations but like I said these days that is not uncommon. And you would be amazed what people are willing to do for one big check because it cost them less money than to go out and chase after several smaller ones.

#2 Assistance securing permanent running locations. I agree 100%. It seems to me that the organization president, NAMBA-IMPBA would have more impact helping locate places to run and race boats. I see the lack of safe places to run, as one of the largest threats to our hobby/sport. If dues must be raised to make this a possibility, im all for it. Richard D
Yes. As I mentioned before I think this vital to the rejuvenation of the hobby. If it is too much for the officiating body to take on perhaps posting instructions on the website on where to begin and how to be successful at it. But I would prefer Officers leading the way here. I know it sound a lot better as the President, Vice President, District Director or Board Member reaching out to a Parks and Rec Manager than a "Local Club Commodore" a title.

I will say this for anyone that has a pond now. Contact that officiating personnel that allow you to have that facility and send them a Thank you plaque. Do so once every year. It helps when it comes time to renew your relationship.
We do that. Very positive.

#2 Assistance securing permanent running locations. I agree 100%. It seems to me that the organization president, NAMBA-IMPBA would have more impact helping locate places to run and race boats. I see the lack of safe places to run, as one of the largest threats to our hobby/sport. If dues must be raised to make this a possibility, im all for it. Richard D
Yes. As I mentioned before I think this vital to the rejuvenation of the hobby. If it is too much for the officiating body to take on perhaps posting instructions on the website on where to begin and how to be successful at it. But I would prefer Officers leading the way here. I know it sound a lot better as the President, Vice President, District Director or Board Member reaching out to a Parks and Rec Manager than a "Local Club Commodore" a title.

I will say this for anyone that has a pond now. Contact that officiating personnel that allow you to have that facility and send them a Thank you plaque. Do so once every year. It helps when it comes time to renew your relationship.
We do that. Very positive.
Another thought here. Such an item could be bought at a NAMBA store. Taking the guess work out of the club of what to get. I just recently had Dave Bestpitch make me a paper weight to give to the Parks and Rec manager in San Jose. I wanted something with a Boat on it, which I guess is hard to come by these days. He used the diecast hydroplanes that used to sit on top of the the trophies we got back in the day. I thought just that very top and a nice base would make a cool paper weight to site on top of someone's desk as a constant reminder of who and what we are. It was no more than 4 inches tall.

If we had several clubs in each district in need of such an item the could be ordered in bulk by one trophy shop that would receive each individual order from the website and they could ship it out to each individual club without burdening the NAMBA other adminstration with the task.

If there are 20 or 30 clubs in need of such item maybe that will be enough to get them into production again. And maybe even have a new one designed every few years.

I was also thinking this could be the same for all trophies and maybe have all End of Year trophies look the same for each district BUT a new design comes out every year. That could be the feature of the beginning of the new season. Maybe the trophy has a particular name that goes with the theme for that year. For example maybe a trophy looks like a Cascade of Flowing water. So at the start of the year the trophy is revealed with the Headline... The 2012 Trophy Design is Unveiled. Who will take home the 2012 Cascade Award this season. (For Example) or.. the Perched Eagle... or the what have you. Maybe making a theme for the whole year bringing the whole organization some continuity among it's members.

But one source to purchase items that support each district could also help reduce cost for the districts.

Back