Sport 20 Shovel Nose design

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Bill,

Thanks for the complement.

Yup, so far still planning on using a similar cowl to the white heat. I still have those pictures as a reference.

Watercadet said:
wswatzell said:
can you move that radio box forward?
How far?

97239[/snapback]

Depending on the balance point, but don't be surprised if it is right at the collet.

Adam

97255[/snapback]

Half way up to the next bulkhead,I think

Nikos

Last edited by a moderator:
missbudpilot55 said:
Hi Wade,

Glade to see you back on the round nose again, sure is looking good, I'm with Phill on the radio box rear, fuel cell front, keeps things from getting complicated.

As he said most guys will be running motors with 180 degree headers.

You may find that you need to make room for the pipe to clear the radio box. You could make the box 4 inches wide but just have the tall part on the left with a lid, and lower on the right to clear the pipe. get the radio box to the front as much as possible.

wswatzell said:
I moved the radio box forward 3".  I also added the radio equipment and engine/engine mount.
Grim, how far off the bottom of the radio box does your mounts put the servos.  I have a high torque standard size figured in for rudder, & a micro for throttle.

https://www.intlwaters.com/gallery/displayimage...album=100&pos=2

97510[/snapback]

Wade

What is the distance from the forward radio box bulkhead to the cable ferrule on the engine? Looking at the lastest drawing you have plenty room to move it further forward yet.

Bill, I'm not really sure, I didn't have one to measure up to add it to my CAD file. I'll have to remember to bring one with me to work on Monday. however, I probably could still move it up a little. I'm just trying to make it easy, & use the bulkheads as the radio box ends. I'll look into some more on Monday though.

wswatzell said:
Well, I forgot to bring in a collet,  however, I worked on the cowl a little, what is the general opinion?
https://www.intlwaters.com/gallery/displayimage...album=100&pos=0

https://www.intlwaters.com/gallery/displayimage...album=100&pos=1

98079[/snapback]

I'm not familiar with the shovel noses but it looks a bit square (should make it a lot easier for construction if no molding is available though). Also looks a bit wide at the front to me, does it need to be so wide? Can you rotate the model and get a more front on view?

Think I will be looking to build one of these in any case.

Brian,

Thanks for your input.

It is a little square in the front. here is a view showing that better. I can work on rounding it more, or maybe it more wedge shape.

https://www.intlwaters.com/gallery/displayimage...album=100&pos=2

I want the cowl kind of wide up front to allow for a 180deg header. I am only guessing right now on the width, I'll have to model up one to see what it will really be like.

https://www.intlwaters.com/gallery/displayimage...album=100&pos=3

right now, the cowl is just in the idea phase, so any thoughts on it are apperciated.

If my 21 is anything to go by the interior of the cowl would need to 6 inches across from the engine back 8 inches towards the transom.

This is for an Irwin quiet pipe.

Hi Wade,

The cowl does look a litle bit too squared off in the front, maybe I can send you a better image of the old "White Heat" cowl, it isn't exactly round in the front, more like a slight arch. I'll send you more pics tonight if I get home at a decent hour.

Motorhome season has really got us in high gear now, so Monday - Friday is a crazy week.

Jerry,

Thanks for the complement!! I like it as well.

How do you like the cowl? I haven’t had any opinions on it since I changed it. If nobody says anything more about it as far as changing it, I'm going to work on building the framing for it & then formalize the design. I'm also going to make laser patterns for it that will be included with the files I send Tom so anybody can download them & have a laser cut kit made for themselves.

wswatzell said:
Jerry,
Thanks for the complement!!  I like it as well. 

How do you like the cowl?  I haven’t had any opinions on it since I changed it.  If nobody says anything more about it as far as changing it, I'm going to work on building the framing for it & then formalize the design.  I'm also going to make laser patterns for it that will be included with the files I send Tom so anybody can download them & have a laser cut kit made for themselves.

98460[/snapback]

Wade, kick the cowl sides out to about 20 to 25 degress, it will shape up a little better and also give extra clearance for the 180 headers. Other than that it looks great.

Bill,

I'll look at doing that. The only thing that might be problematic would be that the cowl will be wider than my hatch opening. I have an idea of how I can make it work though. I'll play with it & see what I come up with.

Latest posts

Back