Sport 20 Shovel Nose design

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The sponson ride pads are not parallel at the back. If they are parallel, it will be less drag. I would say the last 2-3" should be parallel.
I not quite clear on what you mean. Parallel with what? The surface of the water?

OK, I think I know what he means. In shot 5/73, there is a curve on the sponson bottoms. Keep this area parallel on the last 2-3" to the inside of the sponsons before tapering it up.

The curvature going towards the transom may give you problems when putting in air dams if you decide to add them. Those too would have to be parallel otherwise they would give the boat a "toe-out" effect.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ron Olson said:
OK, I think I know what he means. In shot 5/73, there is a curve on the sponson bottoms. Keep this area parallel on the last 2-3" to the inside of the sponsons before tapering it up.
79466[/snapback]

Ron is correct.

Paul Pachmayer said:
Drop Sponson Shovel
dshovel.jpg

dshovel1.jpg

77264[/snapback]

Hey Paul, I have the "Climate" Miss Supertest and it's not built yet,,could I modify

the kit to make a "Drop Sponson" shovel out of it? And if so, would you have any

areas of importance that I should look out for? Whatya think?? :rolleyes:

This is not makin' ya mad,,is it Wade? :huh: Probably Bill though huh?? :lol: :p

OK, now I know what you mean. I can fix that. That was a result of how I swept that surface to create the non-trip. I know how to fix it though.

This is not makin' ya mad,,is it Wade?
:angry: :angry: WHY YOU......@#$! LOL!!!!!!!! :p Why on earth would that make me made. Heck, tha answer to your question, might help me out as well. B)

Hey guys I'm only the 3rd party of this 1st party design with help from the 2nd and 4th parties also involved, so how would that make me mad, I'll be happy with what ever Wade who is the 1st party designer, comes out with, regular or drop sponsons.

:blink: :) :p

Well it's "crashing" in on your topic Wade,,it's not much of a crash,,but some don't

like that sort of thing, and Gawd,,I've been doin' plenty of that lately :ph34r:

I would think that if I did it on the Kit I have I'd be severing the "bulkheads"

that go out to the sponsons,,or just make new ones that would allow for the drop

and I would have to redesign the running serface up(which I'd prob do anyway) so

it doesn't drop down too far. By the time I get to this stuff it's going to be way too

late for your design to benefit Wade :( The neat thing is that we can copy some of the "picklefork" bottom sponson designs of the model boat world and there are

many good examples, I intend to copy Phil Thomas's design of the 82U55 without

the "staggered" running serface :D (I'M NOT DOING IT FOR SALE PHIL) :)

Hi Jerry,

Hey Paul, I have the "Climate" Miss Supertest and it's not built yet,,could I modify the kit to make a "Drop Sponson" shovel out of it?
The Climate Miss Supertest is a drop sponson shovel so no mods are required. :D

And if so, would you have any areas of importance that I should look out for? Whatya think??
I had a chat with the designer of that boat on some of the things I found odd and he was going to make some changes. Wether he did or not I have no clue but one big thing to do is glue in the thick balsa nose block BEFORE you glue in the sponson chines. In the instructions he has you doing it after the sponson chines, very important to do it BEFORE. Also when you glue in the doubler on the frame where the bottom sheeting meet make sure you have it on the right side of the frame, I think the instuctions had you glue it on the wrong side. He may have made that correction in the instuctions, it was one of the things I brought to his attention.

Paul.

I checked the instructions and i see what you mean,it would be better to glue the

"balsa noseblock" first to keep the "frames " parallel. But it don't look like a

"drop sponson' deal to me,,,anyway it looks like more of an effort than it would be worth. Thanks for the reply :)

Hi Jerry,

But it don't look like a "drop sponson' deal to me,,,anyway it looks like more of an effort than it would be worth.
It is, belive me I built one. If you wanted to it would be easy to drop them further by trimming a bit more (1/16 or so) off the outside frames.

supertest.jpg

Paul.

I added a new drawing showing an updated side view.

https://www.intlwaters.com/gallery/thumbnails.p...lbum=100&page=2

I made the suggested changes.

As far as it being a drop sponson, or not, i really don't care one way or another. Which would be the preference, remember, when this is all done, I am going have Tom add the plans to the free plans section. Right now is the time to make that change if that is what the majority want. Once I go further, it will become a pain to make that drastic of a design change.

Let me know.

Hi Wade,

I vote for the drop sponson but what ever you do is better than I could do so I'd be happy either way. It looks great so far.

Paul.

wow, it's got a whole ???of drop, maybe,,barely visable. Of course the pics in the instructions are barely visable too,,but the boat on the box has no drop by

my eyeballs,,no kidding. There's a pic of one back somewhere on this site, but

have no memory of where it would be.

Hi Jerry,

Your right about the pics, lol. You have to keep in mind it was done to scale so what ever the drop is it should be right? I can't say that it's 100% correct or not but it's still a good boat, you'll like the speed. ;)

Paul.

In picture 12, if you look at the areas of where the turnfin would be, you have a very small arc from sponson to deck, know what I mean, that crescent moon shape......well that as well should be brought out kind of how Steve Muck used to do his sport 40's. His came out very far. This will assist the launch of the boat and prevent water from running up onto the deck and into the cockpit area weighting the boat down. Plus once the boats at full speed it would prevent some water run in from oversparay etc...Just a thought.....

In picture 12, if you look at the areas of where the turnfin would be, you have a very small arc from sponson to deck, know what I mean, that crescent moon shape......well that as well should be brought out kind of how Steve Muck used to do his sport 40's.  His came out very far.  This will assist the launch of the boat and prevent water from running up onto the deck and into the cockpit area weighting the boat down.  Plus once the boats at full speed it would prevent  some water run in from oversparay etc...Just a thought.....
79765[/snapback]

Do you have a picture of what you mean, I'm pretty sure the area you are talking about, but I am not familiar with how Steve Muck used to do that.

I've lookin at some drop sponson pics and it looks like alot of em "drop at the rear

of the sponsons only :huh: Seems like it would be easier to build and design that

way :huh:

The "overhead" view is Perfect ;)

Latest posts

Back