ML Boatworks New Sport 20 Hydroplane for FE or nitro, pics and build thread

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The instruction manual is now complete on OSE. See link in above post. The Sport 20, 20L and 40 kits are all now designed and I will be doing a build thread on the 20L and 40 soon! Thanks, Mike

Well, I got to the new pond today, unfortunately a car show was going on, and the car show bunnies would not let me park in my normal spot which allows for normal oval running, so I had to run like you see in the videos of the GP335 and GP400. The water was abnormally calm today. Usually its been really rough, and this lineup of hulls REALLY likes the rough stuff. I will make more videos when the water is worse with some wind to show you they perform even better under pressure! Right now, I am going to say the GP335 is faster than the GP400. I am really thinking about making a 36" GP360 for 6s power as I think the GP400 could be a really great 8s hull. The GP335 is running a TP power 4082 2200kv motor and fightercat 2-8s 240a esc. They are coming back cool, along with the 6600mah 4s 45c hyperion setup. The GP400 is running a 1527 1.5d 1500kv motor and Castle hydra ice 240a lv esc. The temps on them are fine, but I found out today that the 6500mah 6s1p 35c hyperions I am running need to have the ground wire shortened inside the battery shrink. I did not realize the ground wire ran the length of the pack, and it gets hot. The cells were fine, but the wire is stressed from that added length. None the less, both hulls ran really nice today. I am learning that x4 series octura 2 blade props are the way to go on these hulls. The GP335 was running a cut down to 45mm x450, and the GP400 is running an x455. Enjoy, Mike

GP335

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-X0LDI60hK4

GP400

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zqOD6KLpoQ

Last edited by a moderator:
Jesse J just posted another video on OSE of his 33.5" hull rollin out! Here are some details!

"33.5" kit running 4S2P - 8000 may total

1521 1.5D motor, CC 240 LV, Speedmaster hardware, ABC 1916 prop

COG 3" behind sponson

still working the kinks out..."

60.1mph...3" CoG behind sponson heel..Now that is nuts. He posted this was running in a 17mph cross wind as well!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPySDipJjuA

I like this hull but is it legal for sport 20 nitro in namba.I would love to build one this winter to race.And it would be the 33 " one.And how hard would it be to make nitro.?Thanx

These hulls were built to fit both namba and impba, even the new proposed rules impba. Thanks, Mike

Well, I got to the new pond today, unfortunately a car show was going on, and the car show bunnies would not let me park in my normal spot which allows for normal oval running, so I had to run like you see in the videos of the GP335 and GP400. The water was abnormally calm today. Usually its been really rough, and this lineup of hulls REALLY likes the rough stuff. I will make more videos when the water is worse with some wind to show you they perform even better under pressure! Right now, I am going to say the GP335 is faster than the GP400. I am really thinking about making a 36" GP360 for 6s power as I think the GP400 could be a really great 8s hull. The GP335 is running a TP power 4082 2200kv motor and fightercat 2-8s 240a esc. They are coming back cool, along with the 6600mah 4s 45c hyperion setup. The GP400 is running a 1527 1.5d 1500kv motor and Castle hydra ice 240a lv esc. The temps on them are fine, but I found out today that the 6500mah 6s1p 35c hyperions I am running need to have the ground wire shortened inside the battery shrink. I did not realize the ground wire ran the length of the pack, and it gets hot. The cells were fine, but the wire is stressed from that added length. None the less, both hulls ran really nice today. I am learning that x4 series octura 2 blade props are the way to go on these hulls. The GP335 was running a cut down to 45mm x450, and the GP400 is running an x455. Enjoy, Mike

GP335

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-X0LDI60hK4

GP400

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zqOD6KLpoQ
Umm shes quick handling nice too!How much does the 40 boat weigh?

Last edited:
Apprx 12.4 not bad at all. The 1527 is really moving that hull well.Mike you did a 1 p setup right? Jay an i were talking about that on my PT build. What mah and c rating you running with the 1527 1.5d how much do you have left at the end of a heat? Im considering 5000 50c packs the price is killer so its hard to hear they wont work. Whats your 2 cents?

Those are some really nice running hydros you got there.

thanks again for the words

Hugh

Last edited:
I am running the 1527 1.5D with (2) Hyperion 6s 35c 4200mah packs in parallel. So 8400mah, which is plenty enough for any racing. The 33.5" hull is running a 1521 1.5D with (2) Hyperion 4s 45c 3300mah packs in parallel, which is also plenty enough.

I have both the 33.5" and 39" hulls freed up a LOT more than those videos. The CoG is around 2.5" behind sponson heal in both boats, and they do not get flighty at all. When they do hit a hard wave instead of nose diving off the back of the wave due to CoG being around 1" like other hulls, they actually land nice and level due to the CoG being so far back. So not only does having that much versatility in balance point make installations more forgiving during the build, but it also helps the hull function in real rough water conditions. Mike

Oh, i am also in the process of designing the 48" gas/ S and T FE version of this hull as well. I already picked up a Castle 2028 motor, water cooler, and motor mount for it. It will be run as 10s2p with 10000 to 13000mah depending on the packs I use.

Also, the first 26.5" hull is being cut for me right now so I can test it on 2s FE and I have some guys wanting one for sport .12.

More info on those new sizes soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just finished this build and did the Vinyl graphics as well. Enjoy, Mike

2012-06-18_19-49-01_698.jpg

2012-06-18_19-49-15_204.jpg

2012-06-18_19-50-01_669.jpg

Mike,the sport 40 is at 12 plus pounds and 39 inches, so in Theory it seems a 1527 and 6s is enough to to move say a 43 inch 13 pound scale boat just fine,,,,,,? I know one time you were going to try a 6 s package in a scale . Did you ever have success with that?

Beautiful guise by the way.

Hugh

Last edited:
Hey Hugh, i would say yes. Simply because you only need high 50's out of a scale, vs. The 67mph. I am at with the sport 40 right now. My temps are very low as well. Keeping the scale hull running dry will be a big factor to keep temps down. I was going to run a 6s setup with a castle 1717 in my '85 Dominos but my final weigh of 16lbs got me nervous about doing that. I ended up changing it out to a 1527 1y on 8s. Its got plenty of getup!

I am running the 1527 1.5D with (2) Hyperion 6s 35c 4200mah packs in parallel. So 8400mah, which is plenty enough for any racing. The 33.5" hull is running a 1521 1.5D with (2) Hyperion 4s 45c 3300mah packs in parallel, which is also plenty enough.

I have both the 33.5" and 39" hulls freed up a LOT more than those videos. The CoG is around 2.5" behind sponson heal in both boats, and they do not get flighty at all. When they do hit a hard wave instead of nose diving off the back of the wave due to CoG being around 1" like other hulls, they actually land nice and level due to the CoG being so far back. So not only does having that much versatility in balance point make installations more forgiving during the build, but it also helps the hull function in real rough water conditions. Mike

Oh, i am also in the process of designing the 48" gas/ S and T FE version of this hull as well. I already picked up a Castle 2028 motor, water cooler, and motor mount for it. It will be run as 10s2p with 10000 to 13000mah depending on the packs I use.

Also, the first 26.5" hull is being cut for me right now so I can test it on 2s FE and I have some guys wanting one for sport .12.

More info on those new sizes soon.
Hey Mike, any idea of the cost of the sport 12 kit yet? can I get on the list for one?

Let me know if you are ready for me to send a motor/pipe for the cowling fit.

Thanks!

Glenn

Glenn, I got the first sport 12 kit in this week. Started the sponsons tonight actually. Also started the cowling plug as well! If you would, just get some good pics and measurements, or if you want you can mail a motor setup. Pics soon, Mike

Glenn, I got the first sport 12 kit in this week. Started the sponsons tonight actually. Also started the cowling plug as well! If you would, just get some good pics and measurements, or if you want you can mail a motor setup. Pics soon, Mike
Awesome! I will try to get you some pictures and measurement ASAP.

Thanks!

GQ

Sounds good. I got the sponsons framed and center section well on its way last night. Weighted the parts for the kit last night and its only around 1lb 3oz. Of course the cowl and epoxy will add more, but it is really light weight. Pics tonight!

Back