New Sport 20!

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, J.R, managed to get his new Sport 20 on the water at today's District 8 race. In practice water before racing started, the boat quit after maybe a 1/4 lap, filled up with water, and partially submerged. Upon returning to the beach with his boat, J.R. discovered his radio box wasn't water proof. With wet servos and receiver, J.R.'s first endeavor in Sport 20 came to a damp conclusion.

JD

And then JR was taught the pressure test of a radio box before you run it. Come to think of it. Did you put floatation in your cowl? You could use some under the deck as well.

So the full story with the radio box is that I spent all day Saturday at the lake changing the way the throttle linkage was set up (moving from a cable to a hard line) which meant drilling a new hole in the box. The old hole was insufficiently filled in the rush to get it on the water.

Now I have some time to go back and do it right and also figure out my cowling hold down/floatation and exhaust situations.

View attachment 272555 View attachment 272556 It’s only midnight here on the west coast, I just might make it, you guys!

JR,
Awesome paint job, well done.
I had built one of these hulls way back when,, we were trying to get the sport-20 class going here in Florida, never caught on.
James Beasley I think he goes by the tunnel king also purchased it from me, don't know if he still has it?
If I may make a couple of suggestions after looking at your interior picture.
1: your exhaust extension from your stinger to the transom, with that small of a tube, you have effectively made the pipe stinger as long as the length of that tube.
this will cause excessive back pressure, in turn creating heat. My experience tells me to use 1/2" ID tubing.
If you need some light weight aluminum tubing, let me know.
2: your steering linkage needs a brace in the middle of that run. a small plastic/nylon P-clamp of the appropriate size from the electrical isle of Lowes or Home Depot works well.
3: fix that clevis on your steering servo horn.
Good luck getting her going

@FloridaScaleBoater Thanks for the information Rick! That's super helpful. I do have a muffler on there now from Lenny so I have to change the exhaust exit anyway, and the clevis was just wedged in there when I took the picture, it was snapped back together before it hit the water. I like the idea of supporting the steering rod. I'll get on that!

Thanks again, man!

Latest posts

Back