My Brain Dump on RC Boating Organization

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have put some thought and some ideas together based on my experiences, what I have seen/heard over the years and the competition our hobby faces. I've never believed you need to hold an office to show leadership, be a leader or provide leading thinking. Now that the organizational elections are over and the leaders have been chosen I'd like to share my ideas on what could be done to make all of our organizations better. In this case it was written pertaining to the organization I belong to but probably can be applied to all. I have already shared this with a few people. You know you are.

Bare in mind it's purpose is not to point out problems but to provide solutions for problems I have heard over the years. I just wanted to provide some insight on organization structure, benefits marketing and value adds that membership bodies such as NAMBA and others that should be able to take advantage of.

Grab a Chair It will be a long read.

Might want to grab a sandwich and beverage as well... maybe two. LOL!

Identity

I think we need define NAMBA clearly for who and what we are and what our responsibility is to provide to the membership. Are we a insurance broker? Is that our primary function? Are we a event sanctioning body? Are we a governing body that provides guidelines for competition? If we are all of the above what is the priority? Can it be defined in a mission statement so our direction is clear no matter who the President is?

What is our positioning statement? For example. When I designed the ad campaign we ran under Al Hobbs leadership I used "NAMBA. Fun and Excitement in RC Boating for Family and Friends" Such a statement would be used on all collateral at every event on every flyer etc. etc.

Business (As in the operations of the organization not to be confused with "for profit")

I would like to see the organization run like a business. That means that the leadership needs to understand some very fundamental principals of running a business. For one a business has customers and in most cases a customer spends money for a product or service. What product or service does NAMBA provide? I believe we can sum it up by saying we provide a governing body that provides guidelines for safety and competition. We also provide insurance for members so that they may be able to operate their equipment without risking their personal finances in the case of a mishap. So if members pay NAMBA for these services I would expect the leadership to know how many and where from such customers have come because this is our source of revenue. The leaders should know where revenue is good and where it is not so good so that he or she could duplicate the successes of the organization in the areas that lack success in an attempt to grow the organization and therefore the revenue. With more revenue we may be able to provide more value for example lower membership fees or lower fees paid back to NAMBA from sanctioning events or funding for sanctioned races to spend on promotions. But first and foremost If NAMBA recognizes it's membership as customers (in most cases loyal repeat customers) then it should never be tolerated that an officer can have a grievance of any kind against a customer for that inhibits their ability to serve the best interest of that customer as a NAMBA member.

I think every position of the organization should have a job description. The description should provide detail about the activities that should be carried out by each position as well as metrics made up of actionable items that would allow the membership to measure the success of each person holding the position.

For the Presidency position I would like to see the following.

1. Promise of a minimum amount of time spent on the job.

2. Assistance securing permanent running locations in each district. The minimum may be that the President must have evidence of correspondence with some local government officials regarding at least one location in each district if the district in that area ask for assistance. At the end of the Presidents term he should have acquired at least 3 permanent sites in 3 different districts.

3. The President should introduce himself and maintain a relationship with as many RC boating manufacturers world-wide as possible as well as all sponsors.

4. The President should hold no grudges toward any individuals whatsoever and at the sign of any personal grievance against him the President must take the initiative in resolving the matter with witness by the Vice President that he has done so.

5. Must have a vision and plan for growth, expansion or enhanced value. (ie. more members to show growth, new districts established to show expansion, lower fees or catered lunch at every sanctioned event to show enhanced value. Note: "Catered Lunch" is just an example of "ADDED VALUE")

Vice President

1. I agree with the board of directors being each district director. The VP should be the manager of this group. Maintaining constant contact and 2-way communication between the President and the board.

2. Head up sponsorship and promotions of the organization and serves as the overseer of any appointed chair he or she may choose for each task.

3. The Vice Presidents success will be measured by the relationship maintained with District Directors as well as sponsorships and news coverage acquired for the organization.

Customer Service

I understand that there have been some accomplishments in the progress of our organization. I would just debate the true value of them to our membership. The membership of our organization or any member driven organization should be about the needs and/or address the pains of the organization. From what I have observed ours are as follows.

Less participation at race events.

Why? Poor Economy. People out of jobs less discretionary spending.

How can this be addressed. Lower fees perhaps? Stretching their dollar?

Dropping Membership

Why? Same Reason?

How can this be addressed. Actively pursue new members.

Real Car Enthusiast. Real Boat Enthusiast. Any Motorsports Enthusiast

Membership Benefits (Added Value)

When I was the co-contest director for the nats in San Jose in 2007 I tried to add value to the event by leveraging our numbers. That is one reason I am big on focusing just one hotel. If I can guarantee them all the business I can push them for better discounts and added value items like free beer for happy hour every day and open bar at the awards banquet. This is something I believe we probably do for our insurance but do not take advantage for other areas. Here are some examples.

Perhaps we should open a NAMBA store. The store would purchase products that can be mass produced in bulk for the purpose of providing to our membership at a discount. We can do this or ask for a coupon number to be given to our membership from the big distributors. Since the big manufacturers do not see "Racers" as their target market then they do not expect a large number in revenue from us. If that is truly the case why not position us as a promotional/marketing partner instead. Provide us product at cost or near cost for the purpose of promotion and make it available to our membership at the same discount. If NAMBA can purchase let's say 100 UL Superior boats at cost or near it and our membership could purchase it at that same discount that would add value to the membership plus create a low barrier of entry for some boats which could boost their interest for a class. I have always promoted to the big manufacturers that the value of a racer to them is as use as a promoter. It is more likely that a racer will get the best performance out of their product. It also produces many local ambassadors for their product. If a new guy comes to a race and sees a whole fleet of Super-Vees, or UL Superiors, or Traxxas Spartans and you tell them they can buy the very same thing online or a local hobby shop and join in the fun almost instantly that would help the manufacturer make more sales and help NAMBA appeal more to potential new boaters.

In addition we should work more closely with manufacturers so that they either sell boats we race or we race boats they sell.

Other areas that our numbers should gain us more leverage to provide added value to the membership is travel expenses. For example if Days Inn is a national hotel chain we should pursue them or others like them for sponsorship. The deal is that we list them as a sponsor on our website and all collateral and they give our membership a deal they can't refuse. Maybe there is even Gas card discounts we can leverage as an organization. I don't know how many we have in our membership right now but if we said we had 500 members that utilize lodging perhaps 10 times (10 races) a year where they book 1 to 2 nights that is potentially 10,000 nights booked for one hotel chain every season. That sounds like a win/win deal their. The same principal would apply to Gas. There might even be possibility for our own Gas card where the organization earns money from the membership travel which it applies to recuce things like membership fees, or entry fees.

We need to look at the needs and feel the pain of the membership and provide solutions for it. In recent years the economy has made cost a big factor for boaters. Let's make an effort to address it utilizing our strength which is the numbers we have as an organization.

I think it is as simple as reaching out and trying it. Imagine if a $40 memberhips saved you $300 in gas over the course of the season, $500 in lodging and got you a newly released FE boat at a $100 discount... all in addition to insurance and organized racing events. I think all of this is possible if there is mind in the organization to do so.

Oh! I also just thought. NAMBA should do what I attempted to do. Film the nats and make a DVD available to the membership. $10,000 will give you a broadcast quality event that could be sold to the participants of each nats as well as sold into distribution as a DVD Title to help offset the cost and possibly turn it into another revenue generator.

Partnerships with Manufacturers

We should supply manufacturers with address locations to every practice pond that any member in the organization can report and request them to put it in the box with each boat sold of any kind. Maybe even post it on the product page of every boat sold online as we know that places to run is one of the largest barriers of entry for any perspective boater. That is a win/win there.

NAMBA Nationals Meeting

This should be an official event held at a nats not a lawn chair camp fire meeting. Perhaps it should be done in place of one of the social events at a Nationals. It can have food and what not to attract more people but I think the President should make at least a 5 minute speech about the organization. It should be uplifting and encouraging. Minutes should also be kept and an agenda should be prepared. The Nats racing should also be scheduled to accomodate such a meeting so people can attend after the races are over. The agenda should include maybe three topics that the membership is able to submit prior to the nationals. Perhaps the topics can be solicited at the beginning of the year, posted in the start of the year Propwash and selected for response by the executive board (solution and plan of action) at the Nats. The minutes of the entire meeting should then be including in the following Propwash

Rules

I think the rules should be the same for every district. If there are special circumstances where a national rule cannot be followed (example: lake size) Identify them and outline the guidelines that should be followed in the instance. I would imagine that there are not an infinite number of exceptions) (Another example: I subscribe to the McDonalds rule of thumb. The fries are always on the left.)

Need to put a long term plan together to require quieter boats

Another area that we may want to aggressively improve is the Db noise levels of nitro and gas boats. I know I am probably one of the biggest culprits with my A mono but this too should change. I used to run a pipe on an old C-Hydro that was 82 dB. It was a Rossi pipe. I turned the fastest time of the entire 99 nats with that pipe. Quiet does not mean slow. You could hear the sponsons slapping the water with that pipe. This may meet some resistance but in the end it removes one of the complaints from surrounding neighborhoods about the boats. It is probably the number one complaint. If it can help us secure more running locations and improve the perception of the organization we should be all for it. I am sure we mandated it we would see a lot more quiet pipes become available. And who knows what further damage we could be avoiding to our own hearing. This can also be positioned as a safety concern.

Organizational Support

Website

I would like to see a corporate approach taken to governing and supporting our organization. We should build a website that provides each district with a consistent look and feel with the parent body and also allows each district easy access to update their own information. (No independent district hosting that depends on the web hosting talent in each district. The disjointed look makes the whole organization look less than the organization we are)

Running Locations

Locations for regular test ponds should be listed on our website as well as hobby shops near them. This type of information will help reduce the guess work for new hobbyist.

Create our own Forum on the NAMBA wesbite.

In the past the veterans were afraid that people will bad mouth the organization. I believe that it's better to control it than to let it run wild. If can give you all types of industry and brand studies on positive growth results despite grievances aired out about major brands online if someone wants to debate this. We are now 10 years into the new millinium it's about time we catch up.

Promotion

Promotion Collateral

Made available for download to the membership so that they can easily customize and print out themselves. All with a consistent and professional look and feel.

Social Networking

We must participate utilizing the tools of our time

Organizational Instructions

The website should provide "How Tos" on the following.

How to secure a running locations (ie. wear to start in contacting someone)

How to start a club

How to keep the interest up in a club.

How to host a race

How to bid on hosting a national event

How to put on a national event

(Basically Support on how to have a successful organization within the organization)

In addition to Running and Tuning Tips...

(Many of these may have already been written about in the propwash. These should be archived online so that they are searchable in knowledge base format. Make better use knowledge, time and effort already put into the hobby. We shouldn't need a RC boat magazine when many of our current members wrote the much of the content over the years. Just put it online. This is probably the easiest and quickest thing to implement)

ADDITIONAL REVENUE OPPORTUNITIES

Sponsorships

I think our organization should seek out sponsorships for the entire organization that can be shared among each event. This would bring the greatest value to the sponsors and the membership. Such money could be dispersed among clubs to promote events, buy equipment like retrieve boats or add amenities to a event location like canopies.

Merchandising

I have always wanted some NASCAR looking NAMBA stuff to wear and I think NAMBA could make money off of spending a little money to have some two or three NAMBA graphic tees made and maybe some cool NASCAR style jackets made even some hoodies, sweat pants, hats and aprons. Add 10 dollars to the cost of each one of these items and $5 discount with each new membership renewal you might be able to sell 500 units. That's another 5 to 10,000 added to the bottom line. That money could pay for radio and television advertising of a nationals or simply used to reduce entry fees at local events.

Advertising

The organization can provide an affordable advertising outlet for those merchants that serve the RC community. This would also serve as an additional revenue source for NAMBA plus add to the appeal of NAMBA as a one-stop resource for the world of RC boating.

RACING

Nationals

Adjust rules to allow for the top most popular classes of a given time without the need for official class introductions. For example. We take the top 32 classes that can produce at least 3 heats of 6 boat racing. It doesn't matter if they are gas, electric or nitro. Run all classes at one nats... but just the top 32. So if Aquacraft wanted to have a class with all UL Superior boats (for example) they could very well do so if they could rally up 15 people to enter their boats. I think this would help keep racing relevant to what's popular and what the manufacturers are supporting. Collaboration has to start somewhere. Someone has to make the first move.

Use this same method for local events allowing a district to take the top entries of any class. This will give the membership more flexibility in deciding what they want to run at a race.

I have already created the following and would be happy to share for use by others.

Organization Brochure

Organization Wide Sponsorship Proposal

Merchandising Artwork

These are all things I have done in the past. Some are aware of them already but chose not to make use of them.

These are just my thoughts. I decided to post them to share with the entire community of RC boating. If you like any of the ideas feel free to make use if even for discussion in your own inner circle. I have a strong desire to simply to help improve our organizations but my summary of thoughts is about all I have time to contribute at this point. Take from it what you will. If you find none that applies or can be realistically implemented than I am fine with this post existing as merely my humble opinion.

Let me add this. I am on the Board of Directors of the Silicon Valley Chamber of Commerce which is a non-profit. The organization is also subsidized by the city, which is subsidized, by the county, which is subsidized by the state, which is subsidized by the Federal government all of which is audited every year by its parent government. All of what I proposed here do not conflict with non-profit status. It is what is needed and allowed to maintain, properly market and adequately provide service for any organization. Boat organizations don't even have employees. The non-profit organization I provide direction for even have a number of paid employees. Non-Profit Status is not an issue nor the conflict with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Roger I know the IMPBA tax status is 501c3 NON PROFIT. I think it is important it remains a hobby so it contuines to be fun. Many have traveled thru the IMPBA positions & office positions & added there business professional input. But we still remain non profit.

Roger,

I think this is very well said an certainly poignant . The politics of fun is always a challenge and quite honestly its own worst enemy at times. I have to say that I saw a post a while back asking if the hobby/sport was dying. This struck me as very odd since the author went on to talk about the dwindling number of boaters. I have no doubt that a certain percentage of our numbers have dropped due to economic pressures but it occurred to me that the real underlying problem was lack of marketing by the various model boating organizations.

I was an active boater a number of years ago and with family and all that goes with it I got away from the hobby. I have recently decided to get back in with great enthusiasm but was surprised to find how little resources are available on-line about the sport and specifically the national organizations. Drawing from your post I think in order for the sport to continue to thrive we have to continually bring in new membership. It was incredibly difficult for me to get information about the local organizations before I knew where to look.

Your suggestions about the NAMBA website are on target. Although the current website provides some very basic information I think it lacks relevance and feels dated. The information is not very deep and does not “market” to new membership or provide on-going relevant resources to the current membership.

I also think it should be part of the national charter to encourage local clubs to do their own marketing to recruit new member ship including ideas, tools and maybe even some money for local marketing programs.

One of the ways we recruited membership in the past was that we ran on a lake that was publically visible. People saw us run there and the hobby shops knew where and when we ran. We currently have a wonderful lake here in Colorado but it is a private lake that can only be access by members. There is nothing wrong with that but we have in my opinion to work even harder to recruit new members.

I think that the idea of a marketing brochure is excellent. The great thing is that is can be delivered on-line and done for next to nothing. I would think this to be a no-brianer. The "Propwash" publication is another tools that can be delivered on-line with a much more impactful value. I am not sure what the cost to produce the paper version of this is now but by delivering it on-line it could be more timely, in color.

I am certainly not criticizing anything here. Just offering suggestions on we can do what we do better. I hope no one take offence to my suggestions. I love this hobby and the people that make it great.

I would be willing to work with anyone interested on a project to enhance and enable the NAMBA website. I am an IT professional and I have a lot of resources in this area. I also have a great deal of experience in marketing and non-profits and I am willing to help in any way I can.

Dave

Roger I know the IMPBA tax status is 501c3 NON PROFIT. I think it is important it remains a hobby so it contuines to be fun. Many have traveled thru the IMPBA positions & office positions & added there business professional input. But we still remain non profit.
Let me add this. I am on the Board of Directors of the Silicon Valley Chamber of Commerce which is a non-profit. The organization is also subsidized by the county. All of what I proposed here does not conflict with non-profit status. It is what is needed and allowed to maintain the organization.

What is the NAMBA TAx status?
NAMBA is non-profit.

Let me add this. I am on the Board of Directors of the Silicon Valley Chamber of Commerce which is a non-profit. The organization is also subsidized by the county. All of what I proposed here does not conflict with non-profit status. It is what is needed and allowed to maintain the organization.

Roger,

I think this is very well said an certainly poignant . The politics of fun is always a challenge and quite honestly its own worst enemy at times. I have to say that I saw a post a while back asking if the hobby/sport was dying. This struck me as very odd since the author went on to talk about the dwindling number of boaters. I have no doubt that a certain percentage of our numbers have dropped due to economic pressures but it occurred to me that the real underlying problem was lack of marketing by the various model boating organizations.

I was an active boater a number of years ago and with family and all that goes with it I got away from the hobby. I have recently decided to get back in with great enthusiasm but was surprised to find how little resources are available on-line about the sport and specifically the national organizations. Drawing from your post I think in order for the sport to continue to thrive we have to continually bring in new membership. It was incredibly difficult for me to get information about the local organizations before I knew where to look.

Your suggestions about the NAMBA website are on target. Although the current website provides some very basic information I think it lacks relevance and feels dated. The information is not very deep and does not “market” to new membership or provide on-going relevant resources to the current membership.

I also think it should be part of the national charter to encourage local clubs to do their own marketing to recruit new member ship including ideas, tools and maybe even some money for local marketing programs.

One of the ways we recruited membership in the past was that we ran on a lake that was publically visible. People saw us run there and the hobby shops knew where and when we ran. We currently have a wonderful lake here in Colorado but it is a private lake that can only be access by members. There is nothing wrong with that but we have in my opinion to work even harder to recruit new members.

I think that the idea of a marketing brochure is excellent. The great thing is that is can be delivered on-line and done for next to nothing. I would think this to be a no-brianer. The "Propwash" publication is another tools that can be delivered on-line with a much more impactful value. I am not sure what the cost to produce the paper version of this is now but by delivering it on-line it could be more timely, in color.

I am certainly not criticizing anything here. Just offering suggestions on we can do what we do better. I hope no one take offence to my suggestions. I love this hobby and the people that make it great.

I would be willing to work with anyone interested on a project to enhance and enable the NAMBA website. I am an IT professional and I have a lot of resources in this area. I also have a great deal of experience in marketing and non-profits and I am willing to help in any way I can.

Dave
I used to maintain the website but since I was running a business that provided that service I could not provide the service for free. As a result I let the responsibility go due to some being displeased with the expense. At that time some of what I proposed was proposed back then which was almost 10 years ago but perhaps the leadership was not ready or was too afraid of the unknown to completely understand the benefits. People involved in IT, technology and marketing maybe more comfortable with moving forward with the technology that can help the organization. I am glad my post has stirred some emotion in you to want to lend a hand as helping hands have also always been an issue.

BTW - The propwash is offered online however it is in a Ebook format. It's quick and easy to maintain but has it's drawback from a information technology point of view. Basically SEO.

This type of feedback is what every organization needs to receive from time to time to be sure it is servicing it's supporters adequately, whether it be members or customers. Hopefully the feedback is taken as such and not taken offense to. Some of us want to see our organization embrace the future.

Just to be clear. I try to steer away from politics I try to maintain a clear position of what is and what isn't. I don't smooze or kiss up for purpose of any cause. I merely present the information and let others make their own decision.

Along the lines of how a public running facility also contributes to the promotion of the hobby I have even thought that maybe you can't have a club unless you have a "Practice Pond" that can be accessed by the general public. This would put more pressure on clubs to secure running locations. Yes. It would be more work but I wouldn't ask anyone to do anything I wasn't doing. One club per pond or join the one club that has the pond giving that club more operating capital to perhaps improve that one facility.

Roger: What is the status of the Campbell Perk Ponds in Campbell ,CA as a model boat/ practice lake?

At one time some pretty decent top notch guys/boaters thru raw beginners all ran there with pretty good results-

I know the lake is small in size but perfect to start the tuning process of any new boat/boater-

What happened to the long running model boat club that used that lake?

Thanks-

Derret

Roger: What is the status of the Campbell Perk Ponds in Campbell ,CA as a model boat/ practice lake?

At one time some pretty decent top notch guys/boaters thru raw beginners all ran there with pretty good results-

I know the lake is small in size but perfect to start the tuning process of any new boat/boater-

Thanks-

Derret
That is where I ran my first boat at age 10, a prather 40. Had a lot of help from Jim Wilson there. Had to swim after my boat once there too.

Thanks-

Derret
That is where I ran my first boat at age 10, a prather 40. Had a lot of help from Jim Wilson there. Had to swim after my boat once there too.
Some years ago there was a mussel fish infestation that was clocking up the pipes leading to major water ways. The larvae was said to be transported from boats that used the water ways from one to another. For that reason they closed all the waterways in Santa Clara County and I think even beyond until they came up with the solution. This also included RC boats. Then they reopened the lakes and ponds after they put in a check point in place at every lake to check boats for water inside their boats before they launched. They were not sure how to do this for RC boats so they were slow to allow RC boats back on ponds. This included the perc ponds in Campbell. We, my dad, myself and Jeff Wells have contacted the Country Parks and Rec for 5 years now trying to regain our permit for the perc ponds. During that time they have allowed access to the pond for RC boating use but do not allow people to drive in and unload. This is okay for the leisure guy you may just have a Supervee for example along with a transmitter and battery. For this guy the lake is fine. He can realistically tote his gear in a back pack and make the trek of 2 to 300 hards from the street to the launch are of the lake. But for us more serious racers who have a whole rig to carry that is a bit of an inconvenience. So we continue to try to get the permit for us to drive back in. In the mean time I had also been in discussion with San Jose parks and rec to see if we can get permanent useage of Lake Cunningham inside the Raging Waters park where we had the nationals in 2007. This has also been years of chasing (since 2007) to make this happen and after some creative thinking and ideas I had come up with this past summer I finally got a first meeting regarding this. I might be finally making some progress because now they have granted me second meeting to go over some details to see if this is really possible.

What happened to the club?

We lost convenient access to the lake. Then people moved away... moved stopped boating... moved on to other things... and some simply passed away. With no place to demonstrate regularly there was no attraction for new blood to come in. Now would be members go in test/practice in Fremont just up the freeway about 15 minutes from there. Many of the members joined there as well. But even that pond is not readily accessible by the public but since the club is granted keyed access 7 days a week if desired the club has a decent size membership. I, my dad, and a couple of others still remain Marine Modelers and try to revive the Santa Clara Club.

Getting, Keeping Ponds is not easy work. I know. But it must be done to keep boating alive.

Oh! I forgot to mention Sportsmanship

Sportsmanship

This has also been an area that has seemed to go down the tubes over the years. I think it is in part due to media exposure to less than ideal conduct. Things like reality TV where its entertaining to see people fly off the handle has actually got us believing that such behavior is not only acceptable but wanted. But the "Reality" is it is no different than watching the Entowering Inferno burst into flames and people jump out of the window on TV and watching the Twin Towers burn and fall to the ground in real life. As a fictional movie plot its entertaining but in real life it's a tragedy.

Some may not realize that such behavior is offensive. At least once this year I have observed at least one person demonstrate just how offended they were by such behavior.

So this is my thoughts on that.

I believe we state unsportsmanlike conduct is not to be tolerated but it is not well defined. It also not well defined on what the corrective or consequential action will be.

I have also heard members say that we don't have too many rules governing a persons conduct. Well I can certainly agree if you don't have misconduct. However, to be fair, the number of incidents is actually low in my opinion. It's just that one single incident has a huge impact and it has turned boaters away forever. Because of that reason maybe we need something more defined.

But in hearing both sides I have thought up this compromise.

Define unsportsmanlike conduct. For example unwanted language in someone elses pits. Each tent is like a persons house. Simply pit next to those that don't find such language offensive. It just dawned on me. After all these years that might be why my dad prefers to pit away from the cluster of guys. As a christian he may simply prefer not to be exposed to such things all weekend long. Not saying that is the reason but perhaps it might be. I never asked him about it.

So define " offensive language" as unsportsmanlike conduct in the cold pits and how offenses to the violation could be avoided. This should be looked at closely because the public is in the cold pits with women and children.

On the drivers stand it is understood that there is no talking back to the judges. Now here is where a compromise could come into play. Along the lines of self governing and keeping in mind that in the heat of competition emotions can get the best of one. I think now if an incident occurs the CD has the option of disqualifying the offending member, which is rarely done. So how about this. If there is an offense that takes place. The offending member has the option of disqualifying themselves from their next heat in that class in recognition of their behavior and self governing action they take upon themselves. This must be reported to the CD and scorekeeper before the end of the round of that class if they choose to do so. If they do not do so they CD has the option to disqualify that member for the day. He does not have to do it but the risk of that may cause people to take a closer look at their behavior and take responsibility upon themselves to enforce the consequences.

Again just my thoughts.

I am sure members of boards of directors will bring all of these things up for discussion in due time.

#2 Assistance securing permanent running locations. I agree 100%. It seems to me that the organization president, NAMBA-IMPBA would have more impact helping locate places to run and race boats. I see the lack of safe places to run, as one of the largest threats to our hobby/sport. If dues must be raised to make this a possibility, im all for it. Richard D

#2 Assistance securing permanent running locations. I agree 100%. It seems to me that the organization president, NAMBA-IMPBA would have more impact helping locate places to run and race boats. I see the lack of safe places to run, as one of the largest threats to our hobby/sport. If dues must be raised to make this a possibility, im all for it. Richard D
Yes. As I mentioned before I think this vital to the rejuvenation of the hobby. If it is too much for the officiating body to take on perhaps posting instructions on the website on where to begin and how to be successful at it. But I would prefer Officers leading the way here. I know it sound a lot better as the President, Vice President, District Director or Board Member reaching out to a Parks and Rec Manager than a "Local Club Commodore" a title.

I will say this for anyone that has a pond now. Contact that officiating personnel that allow you to have that facility and send them a Thank you plaque. Do so once every year. It helps when it comes time to renew your relationship.

Roger , some interesting and clear thinking here ! I think just reading your post may help us all in some ways . It appears to me that the competition aspect of boating is what really gets people hooked . You can only go around in circles and switch props so long until it's time to "Get it On " !The hobby shop level exposure to events still exists in Model Aviation but not so much for boating , boating remains a "Black Market " for those not versed in where to find stuff on the internet .

In our area due to lake access issues it's hard for anyone to just go out and run without a 40- 60 mile drive in some cases...that costs money . In my area we have 11 % unemployment now and this has things pretty tight here . People just don't have the spare money to blow on hobby stuff it seems .You have your core group (that's getting older ) and a few young ones coming up , but there will always be that 10 - 15 year period when they grow up , get a car , girl , job etc ....then somewhere along the line maybe get back in and get fired up again .

Keep the input coming !

Tom is Correct @ todays level it is still a Hobby. At the point it becomes a Sport & we obtain a owner that can pay for the Big Rigs & the Million Dollar Contracts we can them move over to the Speed Channel on your local TV & buy some Super Fast Equipment. Tom if you win the Fl Lotto we would allow you to be an Owner.

Roger has Brought a good point to sight, Every Dist Deserves a Active Dist Director.Planning race dates, Working with other dists about race dates & notifying dist members where & when the activities will take place. I can already tell you where we will be racing up till about May 2012 I can see those dates, the clubs that get there club activity calanders posted up early get the attendance at the races, people need to apply for time off at work or make arrangements to travel. It is time we Sponsor or Promote the mfgers that keep the Competition Boats/Hardware/Fuel & General parts on the water. The Hobby shop boat kits are a Great Entry level kit for a newbie.But as soon as he figures it out they are looking around for something faster. Many of our top builders are still in there garages at home building kits for competiton at a hobby level. Many times this is due to the tax burden & building cost of making it a Business.

So Roger one question for ya- when are you going to become actively involved with NAMBA's governing body since you have many good ideas and feel the need to tell them how to run things? You bring up many points and pony up solutions but the one thing that plagues both orgs is too many armchair quaterbacks who prefer to sit back and tell people how to do it rather than stepping up to the plate and be willing to get their hands dirty...........

I really like the idea about the 82 DB rule. I like to hear the water splashing of off the sponsons and the prop chomping up the water, YEA...

Charles

So Roger one question for ya- when are you going to become actively involved with NAMBA's governing body since you have many good ideas and feel the need to tell them how to run things? You bring up many points and pony up solutions but the one thing that plagues both orgs is too many armchair quaterbacks who prefer to sit back and tell people how to do it rather than stepping up to the plate and be willing to get their hands dirty...........
Let's See...

1. I provided the "Positioning Statement"... "Fun and Excitement in RC Boating for Friends and Family" and Implemented it in Ad Campaign to attract more members with Al Hobbs when He was President. Hmmm... That would fall under my "Identity" ideas and alsosounds like being "Actively Involved" with the governing body...

2. I have provided the Identity and Editorial documentation for 6 Nationals which Today's President has implemented along with the other Nationals on NAMBA's website and mentioned it as one of his accomplishments over the course of his previous term.

3. I have consulted with other Sponsor and Advertising Chairmen on how to attract sponsors for their nats. Again a solution in "Sponsorship Pursuit" I also noted in my post where I have been "Actively Involved".

4. I have written several proposals in the "Active" pursuit of major corporate sponsors. I think I also mention this in the solutions I suggested. This is also at the knowledge of the "governing body" so I guess that might also qualify as being "Actively Involved"

5. I located and secured a National's Race Site that had never been used for RC boats. That would fall under "Securing New Lake Sites" that I also proposed and many of the ideas implemented at that nats continue to be used today.

6. I offered myself up to "The Governing Body" as the contact providing National Television Coverage of events they themselves put on. I think that might also be seen as an example of being "Actively Involved"... I think that my fall under my "Solutions" of marketing and promotion.

7. I've even created the organization Brochure (It's done! Complete!... Not just words but action!) to make easier for any member with a desire to promote the organization. And this had been presented to the "Governing Body"... So once again... I think that is "Actively Involved"

...And I could go on....

So Uhhhh... Don if there were more "ArmChair Quarterbacks" that can take the field like what has just been demonstrated above Touchdowns would never be problem.

Latest posts

Back