ML Boatworks PX/ NX300 .21 Tunnel frame up kit...say goodbye to special build skills!

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Luszcz

Vendor
April 2012... The new PX300 FE tunnel was unleashed at the World Tunnel Champs, where it placed 1st overall in P-Limited, the SAW version set the P power class SAW record that still stands today in IMPBA proving it was a winner. It did things so much better than the old PS295 ever did. After that race, things with myself got busy, my day job was back, and building hulls for others because very tough...and the PX300 was not heard from much after.....

October 2012...Due, to time constraints for shaping foam for the wood over foam kits, and material costs, I pulled the whole tunnel lineup from my site. The PS295 was finally retired after a few years of SAW records, and the PX300 that was proving it was a contender was also now a distant memory. People like Ron Shaw kept pushing me to do a Nitro version for testing...and I did...but that was about the extent of it. I never really got back on the tunnel bandwagon pushing the product...until now...

After months of thought...but little design time...its finally complete. The PX300, is now being unvailed as a frame up version, requiring only as much foam as you want to keep the hull afloat in case of a hull breach. This hull is all frames, batten sticks, and epoxy. This should cut build time to a minimum, and for many, give them a real chance at building a wood tunnel without the need of a bandsaw, or hot wire foam cutter. CA, Epoxy, Foam chunks, a Stanley Surform, and sandpaper is all you are going to need with this one. As you can see from the attached 3d images, everything is thought out. Toy tabs hold the sponson frames and center section crossmembers in place, 1/8"x1/8" batten sticks are used for strengthening longer spans. This should be easy for anyone! Attached are some 3d images I have done to ensure fitment. The PX300 will be available shortly, and the NX300 will be available as soon as the center section changes are made. The PX/ NX 300 wood over foam version will soon be available as well for those who know the technique. Enjoy, I love forward to comments or thoughts! Thanks, MIke

NOTE: NX 300 PICS NOW POSTED IN THE FIRST AND SECOND POST OF THIS THREAD!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are the JPG version of the pdf's. The PDF is probably higher quality tho. Mike

NOTE: NX300 NITRO PICS NOW ADDED IN THIS POST!

Mike, looks awesome! Let me know when your ready to start cutting them. Ill take another Nitro frame up kit, and maybe an FE as well. We will talk.

Thanks guys, I have to get the NX center change finished, and get it all on cut sheets...then I will have a final price. I am going to add some lightening holes in a few places as well to keep the weight down. I will keep everyone updated on this thread tho! Mike

Just so everyone knows, getting this done, is going to help ease the pain of the switch over to a new 40 size tunnel as well using the new bottom design. This has also been a long term plan.

Looks good. Building a custom stick-built model is a lot of fun. It is a good way to study a design platform. I hope more people like you get interested in this aspect of this hobby and get some new stuff out there.

-Carl

Thank you everyone. I posted pics of the NX300 in the first 2 posts. You will now see some lightening holes added in both the PX and NX 300 center section, and I actually added lightening holes in the Sponson forward to aft frame, but did not update the pics with that. None the less, a good amount of material was removed, so it should help! Mike

So, you can now say the PX and NX 300 are technically available.

Great stuff Muke!!! Just while people are talking if tunnel builds, I have a couple of questions to help me with my ns360 build. First, I have been told to use gorilla glue to glue the foam in and add the sheeting on the center section and sponsons, is this a good, strong, long lasting glue?? I have used west systems on the frame work so far and tested it on the foam and had no bad reactions and wondered if people use this for adding the sheeting. Should I seal the inner side of all sheeting with west if using gorilla glue and does the gorilla glue bond well to sealed sheeting?

Cheers,

Dion.

Dion, Gorilla Glue is awesome. Dont seal the wood prior to using it, as it foams up and actually penetrates the wood's pores. It can also penetrate into the foam a little ways as well. Only thing about it, is that it does tend to float around a lot. As it expands up to 2.5 times the applied thickness. SO, if your going to use a poly glue like gorilla glue, make sure to tape the sheeting in place securelly, and weight it down good!

I am thinking the gorilla glue excess will trim easier when I use the hot wire cutter to trim the excess blue foam. The west seems like it will be easier to apply but I am thinking I will have to clean up well any excess glue that oozes out the side so the hot wire cutter has a clean edge to follow along on the sheeting edges. Thanks heaps for your comments guys!!

Cheers,

Dion.

Its looking like $170 shipped on the east coast, $175 shipped west coast. The list is building quick. Big order overseas for 10 kits without cowls and close to 8 kits in the states with cowls.who would have thought. Mike

Mike updated .21Tunnel Talk at RCU with latest info and a drawing pic,

Good luck ;)

Gene

Latest posts

Back