ML Boatworks PX335 build/ instructions. For use with the PX300, QX400 O/B Tunnels

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And even if you can't find it here, I have sent you a picture text or called to get you guys back in line on the build! I expect your buddy's 300 to be in the water soon!
Yea the last I spoke to him he was going to install the stumble blocks, add second coat of clear and start rigging it up.....It has been so hot in his shed and he works 10-12 hrs days.....he even bought a used htb just to have something to run on sundays with us untill it is completed....lol
as soon as I get my pal pal account paid off....( if I do...lol) Im going to order a nx300 kit and I know you are about to get into the busy season so I will have to get on the waiting list :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Waiting list for a kit? Naw, just has to get cut and shipped to you..the builds are the time consuming part! Hopefully this laser repair this week will get my laser guy back up to speed just before the busy season. My main concern right now is having the new website up and running seamlessly, especially this time of year! Mike

That picture of my boat has given me an idea, on your NX400, you should run dual radio boxes, dual cowls etc to run 2x .21 outboards off it :) , go for that offshore look

You know, when I took that picture this morning, I just knew someone was gonna comment on that cowling, but I never thought the comment would be that cool of an idea! That would be neat! Not sure what in the world you would do with it, but it would be neat!

Well, another good night of working on boat projects. Got the cowling mold pulled from the plug, and its the first one I have ever done that will require no surface sanding. Just rubbing compound and mold release...thank you Duratec!!! Got Wayne's two cowlings finished up, and his boat will ship tomorrow. I also got some other news to share...boat weights with the new frame up design. Now that I have an NX and PX300 built, I can finally see were the weights of the hulls, with one coat of epoxy, radio box, and fitted cowling with tongue installed are going to be, and I was pleasantly suprised.

NX300- 2 lbs 10oz

PX300- 2lbs 11 oz

If I remember right, that is only about 3 ounces heavier than the wood over foam counterparts of the NS/PS295 and/ or the WOF version of the NX/PX300's. The better part, is the static CoG seems to be further forward than it was in the past. This is a good thing, as most people ended up with 1-3 ounces of lead in the front of the center section anyways, so its possible the overall differences in hull weights, once rigged, will be negligible. With that being said, the switch over to frame design, and the benefits of a more consistent sponson build, have been well worth it. Mike

The new NX365 36.5" and NX/QX400 39.5" cowling mold:

20130822_065858_zps076bb721.jpg

NX and PX 300's, just before their separation at birth! haha

20130822_070429_zps9c9c71d6.jpg

20130822_070444_zpse3198d50.jpg

You make it look so easy........ got to take out a loan for sons oral surgery....might sneak out some $$$ for a kit.......then divorce......err maybe not.........lol.....canceled my entry in the fall nats and now going to race sept 14th grand prix....smaller race for the new guy

Chris, I go through the troubles everyone else does. I have collected a lot of tools to help the builds. I also now spend the money I really should be to make the molds I need and don't cut corners. A lot of people do not know how much cost is involved in developing new kits and molds, but its worth it as the end product is a great product! And I now feel comfortable with the new tunnel, sport hydro, kneeler, and scale lineups and I will keep these current designs a while as they are where I want them! I am soon going to finish the Gas sport hydro design, that has been started, and going to start doing some vintage style tunnel kits, and SK boats. Maybe even riggers too. Mike

Hello David,

This is a photo off one of Mike's threads and it shows the position of the stumble blocks.

But I'm sure Mike will reply to your question anyway.

Good luck with your GS480, mine needs about another week's work. I completed the spraying yesterday. See attached photos.

Regards,

GS480-bottom.jpg

IMG_4539.JPG

IMG_4540.JPG

IMG_4541.JPG

IMG_4543.JPG

David, The trailing edge of the stumble pad should be around 25.9" from the sponson transom forward...not the center section transom. Just measure forward, and glue it from that point towards the front of the center section.

Wennie, as stated in the email reply..your boat looks great man! Donald did a nice job with the paint!

Here is some progress from my weekend. The first cowling was pulled from the NX/QX400 mold, and man..does it looks sweet on the boat! I will begin the paintwork on that and the NX300 in the pics hopefully tonight. Enjoy, Mike

20130826_064900_zps527f3b09.jpg

20130826_064908_zpse90c1776.jpg

20130823_221952_zpsfa7ccacc.jpg

20130823_222102_zps6d6eddab.jpg

NX300 and Johnson O/B cowl is ready for its full paint job, and the QX400 is ready for its cowling paint, and hull clearcoat. Just need to make some decals.

20130828_071539_zps739a558a.jpg

20130828_071544_zpsd1bf52c5.jpg

Well, time to let Buddy know what his NX300 is going to look like. I have not shared with him what I was doing for him thus far, but after a good night of vinyl cutting, I got done what I wanted to do. Of course, its gonna be the Seebold Bud Light theme, with a little twist. As you can see, I did up the Bud light logo, and "7" logo for the cowling side, and did the NX300 logo with the matching Bud theme for the sponson deck. I had to hand draw all these on Autocad, then convert to a cut file since I did not find the decals I needed online. Due to that, the small decals will not be done, just these larger decals. The hull will be painted white on the bottom, red on the top deck, the cowling will be white with the blue trim, and black windshield.

In keeping with the NX335 paint scheme, I again did up the QX400 decals in black as the hull will be natural, the cowling black, and the windshield silver. Took a few hours to get all these done last night, so no painting happened. Maybe tonight!

Since Buddy didn't know what was going to be done, I hope you like it man!

Mike

20130829_072857_zps16c52862.jpg

20130829_072902_zps25e3ddd3.jpg

Looks great Mike! Im getting to the end of my NS295/300 build as I call it (295 center section with 300 sponsons). This build thread has been a godsend!

Thanks Tim,

Got some parts basecoated, and intercoat cleared last night, then woke up early and put clear on my cowling and my outboard cowling. I will put the blue and red on Buddy's hull tonight, and clear them. So far, so good! Mike

20130829_215240_zps7e88bc5a.jpg

20130829_215307_zps3aef1fec.jpg

20130830_062552_zpsd2904e05.jpg

20130830_065442_zps97338ffa.jpg

20130830_065445_zpsfd0d44b0.jpg

20130830_065515_zps370f7c5a.jpg

Oh, I also wanted to let everyone know, I now have all the finished O/B tunnel sizes designed and ready for cutting. All of these kits are now full frame up kits, and all utilize the new sponson design of the 300 series. I will be building the Nitro hulls soon to show everyone what they look like, and they will go to certain people for test purposes, but with where it stands right now, they should all run great. The 300 and 335 are really great, and I will have the Qx400 in the water in the next couple of weeks, so I will know more about the larger hulls then. Here is whats available. Due to the website changeover, I am not wasting my time putting up the new sizes right now, so contact me direct if you need one of these kits. Thanks, Mike

All prices are plus shipping. Kits include frames, exterior sheeting, basswood sticks, and fiberglass cowling. PDF instruction manual is started, sponson build is in there, and I am working on the center section instructions as I build each hull size.

FE Tunnels

PX300 30" for P Limited $155 includes smaller cowling

PX335 33.5" for full P $170 includes smaller cowling

QX400 39.7" for Q $205 includes larger cowling

Nitro Tunnels

NX300 30" for stock3.5 $155 includes smaller cowling

NX320 32" for mod 3.5 $165 includes smaller cowling

NX365 36.5" for stock or mod 7.5 $185 includes larger cowling

NX400 39.7" for mod 7.5 $205 includes larger cowling

Gas Tunnel

GX480 48" for gas, nitro or FE $265 Without Cowling. Cowling choices are available...but will have to explain...long story

Interesting thread. I like your new designs, and that OB cowling looks killer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back