July 16-17 Gene Taylor / John Hall Memorial Invitalional Race

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hilda did donate it and I reburbished it stripped it down and refinished in 4 coats of tungoil, also put 2 of Gene's name plates on the inside of the trophy for a time capsule type rememberance. Gene was one of the best and most personable guys I have known.

Mark You know I got into this about the time Gene Taylor got out. I know he is a IMPBA Hall of Fame Member. Do you know any of his stats. I read somewhere he done like 27-28 Internats events without missing a single one?... B)
I met Gene my first IMPBA race 1981 at Memphis TN. Saw him at every race I when to there after. My old running buddy Bob Londress (before Doc) and him got to be good friends. When Gene came to the Huntsville race he would always stay with Bob. And this included his wife of the time. I remember two. Bob's wife got to be good friends with the two wifes too. If I remember correctly the rule about alcohol on the drivers stand came from their CDing one of the Internats in Huntsville. I remember one day they got pretty rip.

For his stats of Internats events I do not know. I know that he has been to every one since I have been in it. I remember my first Internats in 1984 Bartow FL., Gene, Possem Moran, John Hall, John Equa, Vernen Barnes, and myself went to Disneyworld's Epcol for one of our off days. On the way back we stopped at a country night club outside Lakeland and Gene got a little tight and was on the dance floor with some woman (he was single at the time) doing the two step on his walking sticks. What a site. Of course Bartow is where I met my X wife and I boy wish that I had left that alone.

But Gene was a true model boater and a great guy and would give you the shirt off his back. A lot of fun to be around at the Internats or any race. I am glad he was one of my friends.

Maybe some other people can bring in their storys about Gene Taylor and John Hall.

I've heard you showed up in Bama a few weeks later riding in a Greyhound Bus with no money. That's the story told by the old timers here in Knoxville. Is it true. I thought Hilda Taylor donated the trophy.

No I road back with Tommy Lee and Chuck Bater.

Gene was a great guy. WhenI started in boating about 30+ years ago Gene was one of the first experienced boater Imet. He loved the hobby. He came to Birmingham on one of job trips and he .Clee Moreman who BTW won the excellence of performance trophy at the Internats in Oxford, and I spent an evening working on a K&B 45 with a quarter wave pipe. Gene had Polio as a child and basically walked on his arms all of his life . Gene NEVER let his handicapp slow him down. He did not have a BLUE handicap card hanging in his car. Gene died from melanoma. It started under his finger nail. He fought hard but lost the race. It was always a blast to have Gene at a race. Gene at one of the Huntsville race decided to JUMP the ski ramp with his boat. He lined up, pulled the trigger and went over the ramp. I still have plans for the CLIMAX hydro he designed and raced. I still miss Gene Taylor.

John Hall was a character. He was a Golden Glove champion and did highly classified work for the goverment. John was the one who developed a relationship with the city of Hunstville that enabled us to have access to the lake we run on.

John Equi can give a lot oh history on both Gene and John. Maybe can post something. Doc

Now that the Christmas holidays are over I'm taking a look at my racing schedule for next summer. I'm looking real serious at this race to start off the season. I've only been to Huntsville once but remember the site as being one of the best. Who else is in?

Ron

Now that the Christmas holidays are over I'm taking a look at my racing schedule for next summer. I'm looking real serious at this race to start off the season. I've only been to Huntsville once but remember the site as being one of the best. Who else is in?

Ron
Ron, I`m in & Running several diff classes Mono & Hydro. Open water will be good 2- different retrive boats @ the lake, I would guess We will run as long as anyone wants to run open water. Should be a Big Event with Great Competiiton!Hopefully the Evansville & Knoxville guys will attend. The club has the site in Perfect Condition Now....... not a lot to do come race day except the fencing.

Ron
Ron, I`m in & Running several diff classes Mono & Hydro. Open water will be good 2- different retrive boats @ the lake, I would guess We will run as long as anyone wants to run open water. Should be a Big Event with Great Competiiton!Hopefully the Evansville & Knoxville guys will attend. The club has the site in Perfect Condition Now....... not a lot to do come race day except the fencing.
they will be several of the Knoxville Mafia Gang (as Mikey calls us) at the Huntsville race.this is a prime place to raceat,great long straight aways,lots of room to mill in circles when your radio glitches, and even a place for the kids to swim at, no

matter what weather Huntsville throws at ya.

Mark B)

Ron
I will be there with several boats . One of the best sites in the country if not THE best. Doc

At least 12 from the Knoxville Gang are planning to be in Huntsville, Rick, Mark, Harvey, Kevin, Bear, Scott, Glenn, Terry, David, Tim, Brett, and Hose-A.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok racers. It's now a the new year. Lets start getting entries in so that we will be able to build a boats count. You send them will post them.

We'll have the lake all set up going to really work with the city to get the ski jump pulled out of the lake or at least way out of the way. It hasn't been used for at least 5 years or more.

At least 11 from the Knoxville Gang are planning to be in Huntsville, Mark, Harvey, Kevin, Bear, Scott, Glenn, Terry, David, Tim, Brett, and Hose-A.
Geeez Jose.......I didn't know I was excommunicated. :(

We'll have the lake all set up going to really work with the city to get the ski jump pulled out of the lake or at least way out of the way. It hasn't been used for at least 5 years or more.

At least 11 from the Knoxville Gang are planning to be in Huntsville, Mark, Harvey, Kevin, Bear, Scott, Glenn, Terry, David, Tim, Brett, and Hose-A.
Geeez Jose.......I didn't know I was excommunicated. :(
The ramp is an ICON. Gene Taylor made the ramp famous with his infamous jumping the ramp with his hydro. But the icon needs to go. Doc

Entry in transit to Huntsville Club: E Hydro,F Hydro,Open Hydro,Twin Hydro,Open Mono...Should be a Good One!!!!

Mark and David,the Huntsville race thread dropped off the radar for a few days.I got some calls looking for the flyer.Is there some way of insuring that the thread doesn't become old and drop off the visible posts, and can the flyer location appear in the thread title?Also I didn't see any thread on Jim's.

I've already sent my enty in,and am on a hunt for some Skiffs to be included.There are some around.We've just got to get them to Huntsville.

Harvey

Harv, Are you running scale & Sport-40?

How bout Atlanta, You gonna drag the gang south?

Rick,I've entered Scale,Sport 40,and Thunderboat.Working on a Phil Thomas round nose Sport 40 for this year to replace my old AC Sport 40.The duct tape on the bottom is starting to need more duct tape to reinforce last year's duct tape.I think the Knoxville Gang will be represented in most of the classes in Atlanta and Huntsville.I believe we'll have a gang at both races.Hoping to recruit some Jersey Skiffs for Huntsville.It would be great to bring this class into the mid south and the mid west.

Harvey

Latest posts

Back