I must say....

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WHAT IS NEW?

I guess the word is starting to get out about what has been going on here at Van's. There will be a few new items out this fall. The Taboo is a glass model that has been undergoing some design changes for about two or three years. Ron Shaw is planning to run a New Taboo in the SAW 3.5cc Mod class at KP's this fall but that boat is not released yet .He will be posting a picture of it later today. I will offer a fairly cool accessory for tunnel boaters that may change the way you think about boat trim.

I wanted to let the guys that are interested in my products be aware that I have decided to break into the wooden boat world! I have been working on a laser model for about 6 months. I have revision #3 in the shop now.

I have been designing wooden models on my computer since 1985 and I have a ton of concept models that I have dreamed up over the years. Some I built and some are so out of the box that I just open the files ever now and then and laugh. This is my first laser kit. I wanted to offer a wood kit that is easy to build and stronger than my typical wooden stick built test boats of the past. My new building process is called the FLAT BUILD CORE-LOCK. We will start putting some pictures up to give more insight to the details of this new building concept as I build this next model. This new tunnel is actually a Lynx in wood but built using the Flat Build Core-Lock method. I think you are going to love it. These boats will be much easier to produce and the strength to weight is much better than any wooden boats I have ever built. Get ready, it is not like anything you have done before. Some will love it and some will probably hate it but it is not going away. These boats will be tough.

Ron Shaw will be building the web site for these new products and I think he is more stoked than I am about it. Laser kits and FE has opened a lot of doors for R/C boats. This first boat is a nitro version but the FE will follow. I have just finished the FE cowling mold.

EXISTING GLASS ORDERS:

I am not accepting any glass orders until I build out what is still on my books. I only have a few glass boats left to build. I will post on IW when I will start taking glass orders again. Some people have waited too long for things and I hope to provide better service to people now that all this research and design is behind me. You can write me at [email protected]

Thanks,

-Carl Van Houten

Last edited by a moderator:
YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!............ :) :)

This has been a long time coming Carl and is just the "breath of fresh air" the tunnel heads are looking for and what I bet Kris was looking for when he created this thread. Glad to see you are almost ready to go!!!!!!........ :)

Looking forward to working with Kentley on a new B Tunnel Team record with the Taboo. He is the Nitro SAW master for sure!!!... :)

Glad to see Carl has officially thrown a log into the fire. You won't get pages of pictures from him just a product that will be race tested before he sells you one. It has been quiet in tunnel land but I have a feeling fall will see some pretty heated competition on the water. Starting at Hobart, on to the Fall Nats and Brandon's tri-oval, Then comes the new year and the buildup for the tunnel champs. Composites are not dead by any means.

Mic

Glad to see Carl has officially thrown a log into the fire. You won't get pages of pictures from him just a product that will be race tested before he sells you one. It has been quiet in tunnel land but I have a feeling fall will see some pretty heated competition on the water. Starting at Hobart, on to the Fall Nats and Brandon's tri-oval, Then comes the new year and the buildup for the tunnel champs. Composites are not dead by any means.

Mic
I get it :)

Main drive at the moment is my Shaman, Nova Keep .21, Lawless lower, Gadget pipe... pretty happy so far handling is coming along nicely just need to get some more open water time to R&D it.

Have a couple of Lynx's now as well to replace the Blue machine, looking forward to getting those on the water.

I am on some new ground here. It is cool though. These laser guys are good at this stuff. The accuracy of these parts is amazing. I have enjoyed this project. Making wood boats will actually be easier than building a full glass model. It is not cheap! They pop you good for one off work but there is a lot of setup and programming involved when you make changes. Anyway, I can provide more of these to customers than I can the glass models. I am hoping the splinter heads will enjoy a different spin on building wood boats.

-Carl

Current Fleet (as at last race anyway). Starting from bottom left:

Vision 40

K&B (waiting for real motor)

K&B

Irwin

Vision 20

Mongar OS 21 (normal Nova 21/OS/Cooper)

40X43

Dragon 787 V2 (still working on names LOL)

UL-1 Motor

Castle Speedy

Lawless lower (very modified with OS hinge plate assembly)

42X55

Dragon 787 V1 SAW

Neu 1515

Castle 240

Modied OS lower

X442

Dragon 838 V1

Nova

OS

now an Irwin

still deciding on my favourite

Cowl lifted at rear to be more like what i would want it to be.

Dragon 965 V1

Nova

Lawless

Irwin

?

Cowl was only put on for a dummy look

And last but not least

Splinterheads :lol:

Hey I resemble that remark......... :p

Cool stuff Kris !

Nice work,

Gene

Forgot another project :)

This little beauty showed ALOT of potential...interesting to see how 'slippery' it was on the run down! still alot more prop to get it up there...but Mr OZPEC has a new little beauty to get it going...just need the good weather to come back (starting to) and the bloody wind to go away!

Send it north!!

Hahah good looking boats kris!

For this who haven't seen Kris's boats they are a very nice hull and they handle very nicely too.

Ill find a photo of my FE from kris and post it soon.

Found another pic of my HTB for you guys

image.jpg

I think it needs more yellow Bryan! haha

You guys couldn't handle the power! ;)

Thanks for the kind words buddy!

Here is my current 2013 Racing Fleet. Many changes coming.

null_zps98ad452f.jpg

Proglass E/Open Tunnel- new build by Martin Tidwell

LeeCraft 460 46 Mod Tunnel- Tommy Lee

Vision Mod VP with pod mod by Jeff Connelly

Shaman 40 D Stock by VANS Racing

Vision 20 Mod by OZSPEC

FE Tunnel

Lynx 21 Stock- VANS Racing

null_zps0e28e3da.jpg

TABOO SAW Proto- VANS Racing

Team Porter/Shaw/VANS Racing

39003EE9-0007-4D94-A5DE-880F7077E95F-34941-00000F0BD1BBD279_zps0c3f4a10.jpg

Shaman SAW- VANS Racing

Nice collection Ron,

Something I've been working on borrowed from Carls Shaman.......

If I overcooked the turn in, the sponson would dip.

Added two wedges right sponson tip, create enough lift to control it,

Gene

Pics in gallery

My warhead has steps, but I don't recall seeing them on either of the Shaman boats in the club. Both those Shaman hulls were built by Carl back before he subcontracted production to other sources though, so newer ones may have them.

Latest posts

Back