What is the IMPBA International Regatta?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Bullard

What is IMPBA’s International Regatta

What is IMPBA’s International Regatta or also known as the “Internats”?
The IMPBA was formed in July 2, 1949. In those days it was all tether boating. I do not know if anyone does this anymore but they do still run cars on tether.
The first “Internats” was in 1957 at St. Louis, Missouri. Of course, it would have been a tether boat event. These were timed runs for each boat.
The first Internats with R/C boating event was in 1959 at Indianapolis, Indiana. Do not know how they ran it but I’m sure they were still running tether events.
At the Internats of 1963 had the first 1/16 Straight Away or SAW. This would be fairly easy to do since they were already timing their tether boats. The timing equipment is still around. When John Equi was secretary, I stored all the records and other history in my warehouse for IMPBA. It left here when Lynn took the office and I do not know where it is at now. Wished it would have been left here. It was not a problem for me and was very safe.
In 1966 was all R/C only.
In 1970 they had the first 1/3 Mile Oval events.
So, for the next few years we had 1/16 SAW, 1/3 Mile Oval, and heat racing.
It was not until 1975 that the board and members finally work out the details for our first US 1 event. It was in Indianapolis, Indiana.
If you look at the history you can see how the timed events and the heat racing moved together. You had racers that loved to do timed events plus you had racers that loved to do heat racing. So, by merging them together they were able to create a very special award called the US 1.

What is US – 1

US – 1 is the results of what makes a well-rounded boater. The reason why we have US – 1 is it shows the results of a well-rounded boater by first having to place well in the Trophy Trials, which are straightaway and oval timed events. Next by having to perform well in the Heat Racing events. This comes down to three different events. The ones that have won US –1 over the years know how hard it is to win. It has never been a giveaway or will it ever be. I myself have come close many times but only won US –1 once in all of the years that I have been racing. Sure, it takes good running hardware, smart driving, and a little luck to get thru all of the events. This is why US – 1 is what it is and why it is so special to win. We have had racers from all over the world come to the Internats to try to win US – 1 award. This is why we are the INTERNATIONAL MODEL POWER BOAT ASSOCIATION. We are the only organization that offers this kind of award so when this award is passed out it truly means that this person is US – 1 of the world for the year.

The Formats of the Internats

The first format is still the best of all the formats. It allows for anyone to come to as much as they are able to. Remember the timed events are Trophy Trials. Records can be set and have been. Does not happen to often but it has occurred. So, anyone wanting to just come to the Trophy Trials may come to either event, SAW or Oval. And then others may only want to come to the Heat Racing event. But you have the racers that are able to come for the whole event or events. By entering all of the events it will make you qualified for the US 1 trophy for the class they enter. There has to be a minimum of 8 boats for a US 1 class.
In the late 80’s there were a few racers thought the event was to long so a new format was founded of running heat racing first with the top 5 or top 20% of each class. They call it the short program but for me it looks like the long program. It forces the racers to stay for the whole week instead of being able to select different events. But it does help with the host clubs that are not able to have good Trophy Trials because of the size of the lake.
ow you have the Heat Racing format only events. This works there again for the host clubs that do not have the lake to do a good job with the Trophy Trials. But understand that the winners of these events are called National Champion.
But one note, the Heat racing events for all formats are titled National Champion.

Special Awards

The President’s Cup. It is an award of the best two classes in points of a racer for heat racing only.

The Excellence of Performance award. It is a traveling trophy with many names on it. The very first name is Leonard Skwiera in 1972. And the last name is Bradley Maglinger in 2019. Plus, many names in between these. It is an award for the best performance of one boat in all of the events for a class. You can go to the IMPBA.net website and find all of this information in the history section of the rule book.

What does it take to put one of these events on?

You look at the entry form and wonder how come it is so much money.
The Registering fee. This fee has to purchase Race programs. With this kind of event, you cannot just put a bunch on heats on a piece of paper and pass out to the racers. This is a premiere event and you should expect something for your entry. Next is a hat. It uses to be patches many years ago. But I have found that everyone like hats that they can sport at other races. And then last but not least the banquet. Each entry gets a banquet ticket. Because this is a premiere event it is a requirement. In 2019 the total for what I have listed with the programs, hats, and banquet was $3,720.00. We had 75 entries. So that came out to $49.60 each. As you can see the $30.00 entry fee did not cover all of that cost.

The Trophies.
Being that this is three events and like I said a premiere event the trophy bill is huge. In 2019 the trophy bill was $2,931.00. For all of the US 1 class we are talking about $200.00 per class. We had eleven US 1 classes. It took 5 of the 8-boat minimum to cover the trophies for each class. So, when you have over 8 boats it helps pay for other things, like the difference in the registering fee for things that have to be furnished. In 2019 the first-place trophy was $24.00 each this year the same trophy will be $32.00 each. This year it will take 6 boats to cover the US 1 classes.

Huntsville Model Boaters have put on more International Regatta's than any other host club. Nine to this date with number ten coming. So it is not our first time around the lake. We would love to see you this year.
With a World Class Event do you have what it takes to be a US 1 winner. Come to the 2022 IMPBA International Regatta and see.

Last edited:
Very good description of the International Regatta.

Very challenging to win US1.
I was able to get one US 1 in F hydro.

Also not many clubs can put on the Internats. Huntsville can and has hosted many Internats.

What is IMPBA’s International Regatta

What is IMPBA’s International Regatta or also known as the “Internats”?
The IMPBA was formed in July 2, 1949. In those days it was all tether boating. I do not know if anyone does this anymore but they do still run cars on tether.
The first “Internats” was in 1957 at St. Louis, Missouri. Of course, it would have been a tether boat event. These were timed runs for each boat.
The first Internats with R/C boating event was in 1959 at Indianapolis, Indiana. Do not know how they ran it but I’m sure they were still running tether events.
At the Internats of 1963 had the first 1/16 Straight Away or SAW. This would be fairly easy to do since they were already timing their tether boats. The timing equipment is still around. When John Equi was secretary, I stored all the records and other history in my warehouse for IMPBA. It left here when Lynn took the office and I do not know where it is at now. Wished it would have been left here. It was not a problem for me and was very safe.
In 1966 was all R/C only.
In 1970 they had the first 1/3 Mile Oval events.
So, for the next few years we had 1/16 SAW, 1/3 Mile Oval, and heat racing.
It was not until 1975 that the board and members finally work out the details for our first US 1 event. It was in Indianapolis, Indiana.
If you look at the history you can see how the timed events and the heat racing moved together. You had racers that loved to do timed events plus you had racers that loved to do heat racing. So, by merging them together they were able to create a very special award called the US 1.

What is US – 1

US – 1 is the results of what makes a well-rounded boater. The reason why we have US – 1 is it shows the results of a well-rounded boater by first having to place well in the Trophy Trials, which are straightaway and oval timed events. Next by having to perform well in the Heat Racing events. This comes down to three different events. The ones that have won US –1 over the years know how hard it is to win. It has never been a giveaway or will it ever be. I myself have come close many times but only won US –1 once in all of the years that I have been racing. Sure, it takes good running hardware, smart driving, and a little luck to get thru all of the events. This is why US – 1 is what it is and why it is so special to win. We have had racers from all over the world come to the Internats to try to win US – 1 award. This is why we are the INTERNATIONAL MODEL POWER BOAT ASSOCIATION. We are the only organization that offers this kind of award so when this award is passed out it truly means that this person is US – 1 of the world for the year.

The Formats of the Internats

The first format is still the best of all the formats. It allows for anyone to come to as much as they are able to. Remember the timed events are Trophy Trials. Records can be set and have been. Does not happen to often but it has occurred. So, anyone wanting to just come to the Trophy Trials may come to either event, SAW or Oval. And then others may only want to come to the Heat Racing event. But you have the racers that are able to come for the whole event or events. By entering all of the events it will make you qualified for the US 1 trophy for the class they enter. There has to be a minimum of 8 boats for a US 1 class.
In the late 80’s there were a few racers thought the event was to long so a new format was founded of running heat racing first with the top 5 or top 20% of each class. They call it the short program but for me it looks like the long program. It forces the racers to stay for the whole week instead of being able to select different events. But it does help with the host clubs that are not able to have good Trophy Trials because of the size of the lake.
ow you have the Heat Racing format only events. This works there again for the host clubs that do not have the lake to do a good job with the Trophy Trials. But understand that the winners of these events are called National Champion.
But one note, the Heat racing events for all formats are titled National Champion.

Special Awards

The President’s Cup. It is an award of the best two classes in points of a racer for heat racing only.

The Excellence of Performance award. It is a traveling trophy with many names on it. The very first name is Leonard Skwiera in 1972. And the last name is Bradley Maglinger in 2019. Plus, many names in between these. It is an award for the best performance of one boat in all of the events for a class. You can go to the IMPBA.net website and find all of this information in the history section of the rule book.

What does it take to put one of these events on?

You look at the entry form and wonder how come it is so much money.
The Registering fee. This fee has to purchase Race programs. With this kind of event, you cannot just put a bunch on heats on a piece of paper and pass out to the racers. This is a premiere event and you should expect something for your entry. Next is a hat. It uses to be patches many years ago. But I have found that everyone like hats that they can sport at other races. And then last but not least the banquet. Each entry gets a banquet ticket. Because this is a premiere event it is a requirement. In 2019 the total for what I have listed with the programs, hats, and banquet was $3,720.00. We had 75 entries. So that came out to $49.60 each. As you can see the $30.00 entry fee did not cover all of that cost.

The Trophies.
Being that this is three events and like I said a premiere event the trophy bill is huge. In 2019 the trophy bill was $2,931.00. For all of the US 1 class we are talking about $200.00 per class. We had eleven US 1 classes. It took 5 of the 8-boat minimum to cover the trophies for each class. So, when you have over 8 boats it helps pay for other things, like the difference in the registering fee for things that have to be furnished. In 2019 the first-place trophy was $24.00 each this year the same trophy will be $32.00 each. This year it will take 6 boats to cover the US 1 classes.

Huntsville Model Boaters have put on more International Regatta's than any other host club. Nine to this date with number ten coming. So it is not our first time around the lake. We would love to see you this year.
With a World Class Event do you have what it takes to be a US 1 winner. Come to the 2022 IMPBA International Regatta and see.
Good job Mark!
I was at the 1975 Internats in Indy.
Thanks, John

Excellent Summary Mark! There is a lot of history behind our great organization! We won the 97' e-hydro US-1 and got second the following year in f-hydro (US-2) in Huntsville. As you stated - it is not easy and takes a lot of effort, good running hardware, and the boating gods smiling down at you....

Now then, let’s get those guys on the fence to register. Spots still available. Come race with us and get yourself a special US-1 award. Sign up today!
someone needs their name next to Bradley! Who wants it!!

Good job Mark!
I was at the 1975 Internats in Indy.
Thanks, John
John, I was there too at the 75 Internats. Back in the early days of my model boating. My first Internats was 1974. Got 10th place and felt good about it. Mark did a great job on the history. My first US1 was a big thing. To prepare for it made me practice SAW and ovals as well as heat racing. That encouraged me to do more record trials down the road. It is a long race week that many people cannot get the time to do but it is also an ultimate accomplishment to get a US 1. I can't run nitro anymore but would welcome an Internats that included gas boats or electrics. Thanks for the history lesson Mark!

I attended my first Internats with Rick Bellinger last year and it was truly an experience! Had an awesome time meeting and socializing with so many boaters! I certainly hope that i will get to attend another one for sure! Just a great event and im sure my buddy Rick would agree!

Latest posts

Back