Thoughts on the Stock Class rules

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I doubt there is anything to be gained with squashing a cylinder either... especially if the case is that thin...I doubt there is much liner coating left once it has been rehoned straight anyway...

I believe Lohring is taking about folks taking a big block jug and turning down the outside to fit a small block cooling cap. Not bore and hone a small block.

Thanks,
Brian

The 36mm jugs are completely different than the 34mm. Easily recognizable from 10 feet away.

Exhaust height could be gauged from the floor to the roof. You can't raise ex timing (with correct base gasket) and not make the port get bigger. A plastic template stick could be slipped in exhaust and it it doesn't fit the port snug then you have a good idea something may be up.

Last edited:
I doubt there is anything to be gained with squashing a cylinder either... especially if the case is that thin...I doubt there is much liner coating left once it has been rehoned straight anyway...
From what I was told there is no rehoning. A machined slug is used to maintain bore during pressing. The gain is increased compression.

I can buy that..... As long as the chrome or cylinder coating doesn't crack up or flake off when pressed I guess anything is possible..
They only need a relatively small amount to raise compression enough to increase power (one of the reasons gasket thickness is spec'd in the rules). It all sounds crazy and to me it is but nothing surprises me anymore. Amazing what some will do for bragging rights and a $10 plaque to hang on the wall.............

Still doesn’t change chamber it just changes density of the metal. Just like what they do with aluminum baseball bats for more distance. I would think it would maybe increase durability but not horse power. I’d have to see the Dyno readings before and after to believe it

Guys, I have said this before and will continue to say it whenever something different comes up, “You will NEVER prevent every form of cheating no matter what you do or what rules you muster up”. It’s a competitive sport and guys will naturally push the limits to see what they will get away with reguardless of any class rules.
AGAIN, my goal is to come up with a set of guidelines and procedures for the inspection side of this. Yes, some of the rules may need to be changed a bit but the first thing is to write a set of procedures for inspecting the engines so that (that part) is the same no matter who is doing it or what race your at. I suggested (to start) to come up with a handful of items to be checked that the majority of guys can all agree on that these are the most important things to check and to start with that. The inspection part can be changed or modified down the road as needed. I personally think that having someone pull a motor completely apart to mic every single part of the engine is a complete waist of time. I also think that it could be done faster and with less effort that what I have seen and read about. I think it should be done by two guys and the owner of the engine and no one else.

it’s the process that needs to be written and that is where this all needs to start. Saying it need to be a STOCK motor is to vague and does nothing for the actual inspection part of this.

I’m off my soap box, you all can continue to go back and forth about trivial issues that does nothing for coming up with a solution.

So if you won you need to have your own tools to take apart your engine some people have other persons doing there motor work not practical when I raced those tools I left at home

So if you won you need to have your own tools to take apart your engine some people have other persons doing there motor work not practical when I raced those tools I left at home

I think tech people at the race will take your engine apart...not you.

I don’t recall reading anywhere on here that states you must have your own tools to pull your motor apart. The tech guys at a large race should be supplied with whatever is needed to tech the motors.

Again, why don't you check with the people who actually teck engines at a national event. Mark Grim, an IMPBA member, and Allen Terry come to mind.

Lohring Miller

Wouldn't it be nice if Zenoah marked the engines at the factory? It wouldn't take much, some paint around the head bolts to show if they've been removed or not.

Why offer any stock classes? Stock classes only limit the ingenuity of the people willing to do the work & experiment with their efforts to go faster.
If you truly want stock why not run the same boat with the same out of the bag props too...no sharpening and no balancing? Strutt depths will all need to be identical. AOA all must be identical. Boat weight must be within 1/10th of an oz. Strutt angles must all be identical. Conform or don't race!!!

This doesn't sound fun to me. In fact, I see no advantage to anything stock or a.k.a the best cheater wins class! I prefer the to accept the simplicity in where the ingenuity of the best overall boater & driver wins.
Any stock class in nothing more than a reason for complaining. Imagine all the classes that could be eliminated if STOCK was gone.

As for claiming...what kind of special person do you need to be to feel the desire to force another person against their will to sell their own property?
MG

Why offer any stock classes? Stock classes only limit the ingenuity of the people willing to do the work & experiment with their efforts to go faster.
If you truly want stock why not run the same boat with the same out of the bag props too...no sharpening and no balancing? Strutt depths will all need to be identical. AOA all must be identical. Boat weight must be within 1/10th of an oz. Strutt angles must all be identical. Conform or don't race!!!

This doesn't sound fun to me. In fact, I see no advantage to anything stock or a.k.a the best cheater wins class! I prefer the to accept the simplicity in where the ingenuity of the best overall boater & driver wins.
Any stock class in nothing more than a reason for complaining. Imagine all the classes that could be eliminated if STOCK was gone.

As for claiming...what kind of special person do you need to be to feel the desire to force another person against their will to sell their own property?
MG
Mark its obvious you have not been around Thunderboat or ss mono racing at all. These are 2 of the most represented gas classes in both NAMBA and IMPBA.

Mark its obvious you have not been around Thunderboat or ss mono racing at all. These are 2 of the most represented gas classes in both NAMBA and IMPBA.
Thank you Mike!
Dinosaurs once ruled earth (and IMPBA). Thankfully we have stock and mod gas classes, otherwise rc boat racing would be extinct, much like the dinosaurs.

Wouldn't it be nice if Zenoah marked the engines at the factory? It wouldn't take much, some paint around the head bolts to show if they've been removed or not.

When it needs a ring or bearing you just retire the engine ? That would not work so well. The engine is just getting freed up. Lol.

It is so simple. Run a stock engine period. Any parts swaps need to be genuine factory Zenoah parts. Nothing so hard about understanding stock rules. It doesn't have to be a problem that is for sure.

Mikey,
Actually I do own a Scott Adams "Assault" gas mono (it will not be stock) to build this summer after finishing the new twin and the Huntsville Internats. I live in Florida and see many gas monos as well as thunderboats. I get to operate as the CD / P.A. for these classes in Brandon. There are well over 300 active RC boaters in this state.
Why is it that being "STOCK" is only limited to the power plant? Why not the other before mentioned aspects of speed improvement. My point is even in Nitro classes with stock OB you still hear the complaining of who may be cheating on the engine. Why not omit all stock classes, allow engine modifications, and instead of having 30 Stock Monos, have 60 gas monos in a single class?

Can anyone tell me what is the value in hindering ingenuity in making these boats go faster with engine modifications? If it is money, why not only allow $30 props instead of those willing to pay $75 for props? Just what is the holy grail of being STOCK in any class?

Randy, feel free to dig up the dinosaurs to answer.

Respectfully,
MG

Back