Building a 67 Bud

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How big were the model boats made for the movie? Approximate lenght, width, or scale?

I heard they were powered by Picco 67's.

Thanks.

How big were the model boats made for the movie? Approximate lenght, width, or scale?

Thanks.
The boats were 1/5th scale about 60" long. They were powered by Picco's as they had more than enough power to run the boats at scale appearing speeds and they were what we were familiar with.

Here is a pic of some interesting pieces we used in an attempt to get more scale like spray.

spray tool mounted close up.jpg

spray tool 2.jpg

velcro.jpg

Thanks.
The boats were 1/5th scale about 60" long. They were powered by Picco's as they had more than enough power to run the boats at scale appearing speeds and they were what we were familiar with.

Here is a pic of some interesting pieces we used in an attempt to get more scale like spray.
Harry,I can see the turn fin in the right hand photo,which of couse is modeled after the full size boat.I saw the "madison" movie ,but I don't remember the models turning.How well did these fins work on the reduced speed models?Next question,I know the boats are larger than 1/8 scale,but is the guy who made the rudder bracket still around and is he making any 1/8 scale brackets?

Harvey Liberman

Knoxville,Tn.

lOVE the carpet on the sponson! ;)

Looked at the film credits and didn't see any special thanks to a RC club or group of model builders! Hmm? shure hope they paid you or brought you a keg at least!

Well my plans say RR Merlin and the film dude in the special features called the pitts full of engines as real Allistons! Real sweet all those v12's lined up!

Did Bud switch engines by 71??

The credits to the movie does list the model boat unit. If I remember right, the modelers involved included Harry Gatjens, Don Mock, Gary Jensen(?) and one other person that I can't remember off the top of my head. As far as the engines go, the Merlin was correct for the 67 Bud. I'm sure Harry knows better than me on this, Allisons were used because there are more of them around. In reality, back in 71, the Pay N' Pak, Budweiser, Atlas and several other boats ran Merlins. Unlike the movie, the Bud hull was round nosed while Pay N' Pak ran a boat with a 48" picklefork and the Atlas had a 22". From what I've heard from several sources, the Madison team ran Allisons from 1961 through 1990 when the 8806 hull was converted to turbine drive using former Budweiser L7B turbines

Last edited by a moderator:
lOVE the carpet on the sponson! ;)

Looked at the film credits and didn't see any special thanks to a RC club or group of model builders! Hmm? shure hope they paid you or brought you a keg at least!

Well my plans say RR Merlin and the film dude in the special features called the pitts full of engines as real Allistons! Real sweet all those v12's lined up!

Did Bud switch engines by 71??
The Bud engines for real were Merlins. The Allisons were the only ones anyone had left by 2000,in a sufficient number to make the multi engine image they were going for. Good catch for you to notice that.

Budweiser ran Allisons until 1966 when they switched to Merlins. They ran those until 1979 when they brought out the Griffon. Girffons powered the boat through 1986 when they ran both a turbine and Griffon boat. The last piston bud was the Bubble Bud in 1986.

The modelers credited were myself, Don Mock, Gary and David Jensen. Roger Newton also built one of the boats and Terry and Jim McKeon of UNW also built one. I think the McKeon's got theirs back, David Jensen still has the Madison and I think one of the others was converted into a 1958 Miss Bardahl for the Museum.

Howard Price made the rudder brackets and has made some for 1/8th scale boats too. I don't know if he is in the business of making them though. I think it was more a labor of love, but I will check.

We did get paid but put in six months of building, three days of shooting film in Los Anglese, two days of demos in Madison with Mike Schindler's help. All fpr less than 3 total seconds of time on the big screen. But, it was a neat adventure.

Pic is of something we tried with the rudder to make the accidents more violent.

bent rudder.jpg

Looking again and your listed under Miniatures crew, sorry missed that.

Loved the {Wide World Of Sports} Footage! They need to start DVD there archives for sale.

I doubt Howard is going into business Harry. He's heavily involved with the electric boats in E-R/C Unlimiteds and is part of the full sized U-25 crew. I was at his place a couple of weeks back and he was working on several things for the electrics, up to and including building a mold of the U-37 if I remember right. How could I forget David Jensen? Thanks for filling in the blanks Harry

They what?? You're saying... As I understand They Repainted the historic 1971 APBA Gold Cup winner to look like Atlas for a movie scene. Water paint I hope! And that's she's been under a tarp for 30+ years!

Hope that's in Az

Now that boat has gotta go to the Seattle Hydroplane Museum. Hmmm? may need a trailor ;)
This is not the Gold Cup winning Atlas, but the boat that replaced it in 1972.

This boat was not in the movie. In the movie they

1. Repainted the Savair's Mist to be the Miss Madison

2. Repainted the old Tempus to be the Miss Budweiser

3. Repainted the Pay N Pak's Lil buzzard to be the aAtlas. (Actually the repainting was done when Bill Muncey got the boat with all the Pay N Pak stuff from Heerensperger in 1976. Atlas used it as a display boat.)

4. Put the Notre Dame name on the 67 Budweiser

5. Repainted the Savair's Probe/Miss Burien as the Cat's Pride

A couple of others that I can't remember without watching the movie again.
BTW, this is the condition that Mike was talking about when he mentioned how the Atlas was under a tarp.

Great thread Denis! Your boat has come a long way. Whats the story behind that pan head?

Great thread Denis! Your boat has come a long way. Whats the story behind that pan head?
:rolleyes: I love finned engine parts :blink: :blink: :ph34r:

I built her from modern parts as a 1965. Kinda like the new S&S P-engine that just came out. But with a Mag.

4 speed kicker jockey shift. Drum brakes bates seat & P-pad GME tank! Imperial Primary cover,

frame will be a custom VL single tube in nickel and one of our springers!

Some of the Toys in the toy box! My current ride is the 74 Ironhead (anouther F.... Sporster)at this site.

http://www.jasonparkerracecars.com/

Or check my Photobucket http://s616.photobucket.com/albums/tt247/RippoDippo/

Kinda miss this one :(
IronWhore.jpg

She had arm ripping Torque TP-124 @ 125+hp fat 280. Running a 5 speed!

Figure put approx 30K on her! Cry!

Here are some pictures I took at the test session this last weekend. Also, Chris Denslow has many more shots of this boat, the Wahoo, the 57 Thriftway, 63 Thriftway and 1965 Miss Bardahl on his smugmug page.

67 bud cockpit.jpg

67 bud u.jpg

67 Bud U12.jpg

67 Bud 1.jpg

67 Bud Deck.jpg

67 Bud Engine.jpg

67 Bud Profile.jpg

67 Bud stern.jpg

67 Bud side.jpg

67 Bud Tail.jpg

Here are some pictures I took at the test session this last weekend. Also, Chris Denslow has many more shots of this boat, the Wahoo, the 57 Thriftway, 63 Thriftway and 1965 Miss Bardahl on his smugmug page.

Harry,those are great photos.David Williams sent me some photos of the boat as the 67 Bud and also its earlier sponsors.The one view I did't have was the cockpit interior,and your first shot nailed it.I'm building the two man version as a Classic Thunderboat and hope to have the widened cowl finished this fall.I'm sure everyone appreciates your info.

Harvey liberman

Whow Harry Good pics!!

Gonna help alot!!! Why were the seats up top in some pics? did they switch from solo?

So what was the event like? Your they eyes and ears on this one!

Hope ya had a good time...!

Whow Harry Good pics!!

Gonna help alot!!! Why were the seats up top in some pics? did they switch from solo?

So what was the event like? Your they eyes and ears on this one!

Hope ya had a good time...!
When they rebuilt the boat after it burned in 1964 they widened the cockpit so they could use it to give people rides. Even though it then went back into race mode the cockpit stayed wide and they had two separate racks. One with two seats and one with one.The museum uses two seats so they can give people rides. The seats are out in the photo as there are things underneath the seats (batteries etc.) that they need to get to. When the museum refurbished the boat they set it up mostly to give people rides, hence the steering wheel is on the left side rather than centerted as it would be in race mode.

They had six boats and ran pretty much all afternoon giving people rides. This is the annual crew day for the museum so they give rides to

people who have donated or put in a lot of time working there. Ed Cooper Jr was there, Chip was there, the Evans brothers were there and several other unlimited people.

I only went over for a little while as we were having our Gold Cup about half a mile away.

Well weather today was cold but Clam. Got a few rums in and she is startimg to hook up.

Least I think so:

Kept dying at around 1/2 tank?Hmmm?

Ran much better when tank was full?

Think a Custom SS with a hopper is next!

Ya I think that BVM needle helped! Or we just got lucky with the setting?

Was a perfect day zero wind, good to pick up the little quirks in her ride.

Blew up the throttle servo?? Think they came outta my FW-190D that didn't make it back to the field. :huh:

Gonna get some fresh ones from now on.

She ran a few times holding by the cup of the turn fin!

Still lots of testing and tuning to go.

Got about a gallon threw her! Kinda cool since it was a rush build!

Figure done for this season! Gonna oil and bag the Testa Verde and start to look forward to the scale details!

Also gonna pick up a 2'x4'sheet of .008'' annealed stainless steel 300 series to build ourselves a couple of fuel tanks.

Back