Building a 67 Bud

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Approx 4hr of sanding later!

DSC04581.jpg

Gave the deck a coat of Cabot red mahogany wood stain.

After a few hrs wiped the deck with varsol to get the stain off the white strips.

DSC04582.jpg

Hey, just wanted you guys to know that new 1/8th Merlin kit is all plywood. There is no Balsa in it. Should hold up well. - Doug-classichydros

If anyone is interested too, I just came out with improved Allison 6th scale kits - all ply also. Contact me directly for those 6th Allison all ply kits. I have not released to resellers as yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks great! You may have said earlier, but how were the wood and plastic strips glued down, using CA, what's the technique?
Yup Used thin and thick CA & kicker.

Hardest part was getting the center board glued in plum and square. After that it's just a matter of trim to fit and glue it down.

I also made use of a good chizel 1/2" wide to clean any CA that may have squeezed out! . Have to clean that off before laying next piece down.;

One issue that pissed me off was the curvature of the deck vs the square decking material. = small gaps between the wood and plastic :angry: so many of the edges had to be slightly beveled.

Still have to finish off the cowl area. Test sample with epoxy coating.

DSC04584.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Which brand epoxy do you plan on using for the deck?
I plan to use System Three SB-112 http://www.mertons.com/Epoxy/epoxy_resins/sb.html

Since I got a 1/2 gal sitting here.

Plan to do a scratch first coat , Brush it on and then scrape it down with a credit/card?

Should give me a smooth thin coat.

Stuff flows well and sets up after a few hrs.

Hmm then a fine sanding lay down the decals and brush on a second coat Hmm?

Any tips in finishing Please post away I'm green on this topic!

I would recommend a coat of epoxy, then wet sand smooth with a fine grit paper after it has fully cured. clean with soap and water, dry, then wipe surface clean w/ a paint prepping solvent and let dry. Apply your vinyl graphics, then cover with an automotive two part clear finish.

The automotive clear is tough as nails and provides the uv protection for the wood. It lays down nice and doesn't run or sag before curing as epoxy resin tends to do.

Which brand epoxy do you plan on using for the deck?
I plan to use System Three SB-112 http://www.mertons.c..._resins/sb.html

Since I got a 1/2 gal sitting here.

Plan to do a scratch first coat , Brush it on and then scrape it down with a credit/card?

Should give me a smooth thin coat.

Stuff flows well and sets up after a few hrs.

Hmm then a fine sanding lay down the decals and brush on a second coat Hmm?

Any tips in finishing Please post away I'm green on this topic!
Denis, I use a bondo spreader(a couple cut to different widths-but the wifes credit card should work nicely!!).
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Glenn

Eh Doug- Classichydros

Got the kits a few days ago, all is good! Thanks!

Little bit of shaping but going together fine.

I like the cylinders !!

DSC04589.jpg

So got decals on and one coat of clear.

Using Endura paints. Love it!

DSC04645.jpg

Ended up making my own Miss Bud decal.

DSC04646.jpg

Back