Fair Winds and Following R Sea

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuck Mason

Hey all,
My name is Chuck
I have followed the Hydroplane sport from some time and IMHO the sound of open exhaust reverberating off the waves is my muse and music. I was 12 years old when I saw my 1st unlimited race on the Columbia (1976 Tri-Cities, WA) with my Family. His name was
Bill Muncy In the squire Shop and I WAS HOOKED.
I wont pretend to know much about the trip's, sponsons or props but I am fair at building things that go fast. I have had 10L graphite Team Associate carpet RC's some RTR boats and a hand full of other small scale Fun. I have raced full-size in a straight line on paved ovals and even played with my dads boat, The Fat-Katt (1956 Century Coronado) She was how I met my 1st girlfriend and where I received my 1st ticket on the water. She had a 392 Hemi and a 2 speed Velvet drive? little 2 barrel Spark arrested Holley,
Anyway at 17 I joined the service (US Navy) and stayed on the water for the next 22 years trying to take the time to build a REAL scale all wood boat.
I must have started 3-4 times to build a vintage style Hydro, 1/10th 1/8 or 6th scale only to have life, Family and Finance force me to stop.
Now that I am Disabled and semi retired..... I have the means to follow through it is time to go at it once more.
My plan is to take on one of Zipps kit shovel nose and deck it with hand laid Teak. (This is going to be for fun not racing yet.
Then I will be taking on a 1/6.6 scale as I have purchased one from Micheal at ML boat-works.
Engine will be a Hanson built Pro-Mod G260 (direct drive 1/4" Shaft)
7.4V SAVOX servo SW-2210SG handling the custom-built rudder.
and controller: FlySky Noble FS-NB4.

I will be making a newbe Build thread starting soon with a few pics here and there.
I just wanted to introduce myself and let you all know it's you all here that rekindled my interest in this.
I will need your help to see it through.
Her is the start:
1st_Splinter.jpeg
My 1st Splinters
Teak_1.jpeg
Teak to be Bookmarked and Clear on Deck.
Teak_2.jpeg
I will get some pics of the Kit as I move from inventory to Jig.
Chuck

Welcome Aboard Sir!!

Can't wait to see how you do the teak work on the deck. I love the look of solid wood hulls, and if it's not to hard to follow how you do yours, I may try to modify a mono I have...

So, first question.... Do you lay on the teak as the actual decking or is it laid on top of the deck like a veneer?

Because I am not up on the what if's yet I believe the best plan is to see what has been done in the past. I know wood has a mind of her own and will twist and shout at all the wrong times. MAYBE: The way a cedar strip canoe is done... They plank up as long as the mating surfaces are planed to match each angle and then a layer of glass. Seriously this will be a learning curve. I may add a few extra frames up fnt. as well as ribs fnt to back. We shal see.
I did just order a steamer and plan to pre bend the teak over a shovel-nose Buck in a attempt to hold the curves.
I am open to many plans.
I know the larger scale Hydro will be drilled and plugged using real Silica Bronze screws and each rib will be outlined and framed like the picture below. Miss NotreDame
It looks like they frame the plywood with a 2inch or so outside edge for more surface area for the decking?
IMHO the wood plug and screws will look nice (If they are small enough) Its all about that positive can do...

Then again... I may be in way over the water line.

Attachments

• Notre_Dame_05.jpg
    Notre_Dame_05.jpg
    655.7 KB · Views: 45
I know when the late Howard Price built his gas 1/6th scale Wildroot "Charlie", back in the early 1990s, he decked it with 1/16th ply and laid mahogany veneer over the top. If Chuck has a different way he wants to do his, I'd love to see it.
Just curious Chuck, what general area do you live in?

Profile update:
So I grew up in the Pacific North West, Seattle, then it was off to the east coast for most of my Navy career like Norfolk, VA, and St. Mary's Georgia Duty station then put roots in a small Mt City just north of Atlanta GA because of good friends and I just kinda fit.

Profile update:
So I grew up in the Pacific North West, Seattle, then it was off to the east coast for most of my Navy career like Norfolk, VA, and St. Mary's Georgia Duty station then put roots in a small Mt City just north of Atlanta GA because of good friends and I just kinda fit.
Cool. Well then, from one Seattlelite and former "squid" to another, Welcome to the Forum

Welcome Chuck....
Looking forward to your boat building pics. I enjoy looking through the threads of all the boats being built. Building wood boats is definitely not my Forte lol...
Good to have you aboard.
Michael

Movin to the Build stage
sea ya on the Water
AND A Correction needs to be done
book-matched is the term I should have used so both sides look alike (Hopefully)

Last edited:
Back