Building a 67 Bud

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Side Mock up View.

DSC04651.jpg

Comparison pic,

DSC04649.jpg

Ok paint is drying!

Got a sweet 4 spoke wheel off Rudy, Cast in rubber.

Driver screwed down.

Next is mounting Dummy Merlin.

Will go with the Rainer engine at this time since it's painted.

DSC03592.jpg

Ya Terry you saw it...As that last coat suxed. So gave it a quick block sand and shot it again! Way better but not perfect :unsure:

Time to run her summer's wasting!

YA can see the slight egg shell from the flash! In real light ya gotta look close to see it!

Come winter I'll take up your offer and paint in in your clean room :p

Hmm Dummy is gonna be sitting a little high. That's as low as she's gonna get sitting on that green head. Don't read into that lol

DSC03593.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
When you go to repaint this winter, put in a belly pan or enlarge the existing one and drop the engine and shaft a little. That will lower that dummy to a more realistic level. Just be sure it's lowest point stays above the running surfaces

Endura clear, right? I've been using it for 30 years.....I have found that you have to thin it 1/3-1/3-1/3. Or...33% clear, 33% part B, 33% thinner. Goes on like water. Dust coat, let tack up then spray a heavier coat. Only problem with it is you only get one shot because it can't be rubbed out. Has to be done in a clean dust free environment. Thats why I've gone with PPG chromaclear for the last 3 scales. T4,smokin joes and bardahl all done with chromaclear. One of the best clear coats I ever got with Endura was when I did the 1/3-1/3-1/3 thing on the 52 such crust back in 1991 and I sprayed the whole thing with straight thinner after the clear to level out the clear coat while it was wet. Just did the top though.....

looks good though, thats one nice budweiser...... :)

Ya we used Endura clear 100 Approx mix ratio was 50/50 with 15% thinner. So figure it was a poor mix. Also hull was hanging by the stern.

Anyway that will be a project for the winter.

Here's how I plan to mount the dummy engine. Any Better Ideas are welcome :unsure:

DSC04044.jpg

Ya we used Endura clear 100 Approx mix ratio was 50/50 with 15% thinner. So figure it was a poor mix. Also hull was hanging by the stern.

Anyway that will be a project for the winter.

Here's how I plan to mount the dummy engine. Any Better Ideas are welcome :unsure:

DSC04044.jpg
I like the magnet idea....where did you get those? I'm also looking for a secure way to mount the dummy engine in the bardahl as well.

Changed it up a little by extending the size! Using 6 magnets and it works great.

Can almost lift the boat up! There real strong.

DSC04050.jpg

Good news is dummy floats.

Here is the 4130 rails installed on the dummy

Ever ting will get powder coated

DSC04046.jpg

The credits to the movie does list the model boat unit. If I remember right, the modelers involved included Harry Gatjens, Don Mock, Gary Jensen(?) and one other person that I can't remember off the top of my head. As far as the engines go, the Merlin was correct for the 67 Bud. I'm sure Harry knows better than me on this, Allisons were used because there are more of them around. In reality, back in 71, the Pay N' Pak, Budweiser, Atlas and several other boats ran Merlins. Unlike the movie, the Bud hull was round nosed while Pay N' Pak ran a boat with a 48" picklefork and the Atlas had a 22". From what I've heard from several sources, the Madison team ran Allisons from 1961 through 1990 when the 8806 hull was converted to turbine drive using former Budweiser L7B turbines
I donated the props for the r/c boats in the movie. Wow ..... this is bringing back some memories.

Thanks great link jwo! they got a large selection of counter sunk magnets.

Noticed you can get them in south or north facing out. Getting a N/S stuck together :lol: good luck removing a dummy engine :blink:

Now I'm wondering how to mount the Driver Cowl section??

Got a plan for the rear using the stays off the tail to ball links on the transom.

IDEAS?

DSC04051.jpg

DSC04052.jpg

Latest posts

Back