Building a 67 Bud

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Denis Tomicki

Eh all!

I'm new here on IW. Back into Boats after 20 years.

Just got my IMPBA and joining NLMBC

I'm in the process of rebuilding a Newton Hull that I scored a month ago.

Been sitting since mid 80's All seems good no cracks or worps/rot.

Plane to race her next year!

She's gonna be a 1967 Miss Budweiser. The pretty stuff will happen over the winter.

Looking forward to getting her wet in the next few weeks :)

Figure I'll share the Build with ya!

Here she is when I got her. Cowl and engine are wrong for Miss Bud

DSC04231.jpg

DSC04230.jpg

Here she is sanded down with new engine mock up.

DSC04250.jpg

Eh all!

I'm new here on IW. Back into Boats after 20 years.

Just got my IMPBA and joining NLMBC

I'm in the process of rebuilding a Newton Hull that I scored a month ago.

Been sitting since mid 80's All seems good no cracks or worps/rot.

Plane to race her next year!

She's gonna be a 1967 Miss Budweiser. The pretty stuff will happen over the winter.

Looking forward to getting her wet in the next few weeks :)

Figure I'll share the Build with ya!

Here she is when I got her. Cowl and engine are wrong for Miss Bud

DSC04231.jpg

DSC04230.jpg

Here she is sanded down with new engine mock up.

DSC04250.jpg
Good luck gotta love the round nosers I see that Greeny for power...

Ok a few progress pics,

Use to build Old school! Saw & Sandpaper, but about 10 years ago I built this CNC Router.

So ya I'm cheeting these days <_<

DSC04369.jpg

This project I used it to make a template for alum engine rails and the ply hull mounts!

Also the Radio Box, and fuel tank mount.

Here is the Greenie mounted.

DSC04254.jpg

DSC04255.jpg

Sitting in the Hull

DSC04257.jpg

The builder back in the 80s did this to the Sponsons! Beveled the inside and add a step pad.

Never run after the mod so no results. Has anyone done the same??

His thought was to bleed some air and give her a step to ride on. Hmmm??

DSC04252.jpg

DSC04374.jpg

DSC04375.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The builder back in the 80s did this to the Sponsons! Beveled the inside and add a step pad.

Never run after the mod so no results. Has anyone done the same??

His thought was to bleed some air and give her a step to ride on. Hmmm??

DSC04252.jpg

DSC04374.jpg

DSC04375.jpg
Denis, It didn't look too bad till I saw the pic of the sponson bottoms-Like Mikey said 90 degrees(square) to the bottom of the hull and sharp edges and you could lose the ride pads. Wet sponsons? Period correct for full size UL's but on rc boats =auto sinking. Stuff some floation in there and seal the sponson transoms. You need a solid surface to mount the skid fin. Welcome to I.W. and good luck,

Glenn :)

Harry, would I be right in assuming that these pictures are from AFTER Roger's restoration? I don't think some of the sponsor stickers are period correct, starting with Red Robin :)

Glad to see some informative responses Thanks!

Ya I gonna clean up those edges. Will run Sponsons as is for the beginning. Interested to see what happens.

If it's real bad I'll rebuild the edges. Have a feeling she's gonna slip a lot in the corners and be loose??

Routed out some pucks to fill in sponson holes. Will add them soon. Mainly to keep the boat light for the retrieve crew ;)

SayMikey got the router plans here; http://www.crankorgan.com/ Cool dude over there he'll have you looking threw the neighbors trash for part! HAHA . As to cost to build, Figure $400 for the machine and controler board. Stepper motors ya gotta hunt down in electronic surplus mine were like $10 each! Throw in a PC and Dremal.

Super Forum; http://www.cnczone.com/ Rember DOS :eek:

As to the Turn Fin copied Rudy's Miss Supertest rebuild and here's a few mor Pics.

DSC04264.jpg

Later on;
DSC04266.jpg

Here all done. Brass sheer screw off the support.

DSC04322.jpg

Step back on the CNC Router. It's so awsome! Just hind sight I would have scaled it up To a 4'X8' bed and a 3hp router!!!

Here is my umfinished MACCHI M33 1925 Schneider Trophy entry. All CNC !

DSC04377.jpg

Oh Man just did a google on the M33 and found this page!

I built her to this point 6 + years ago. Huge thread Plastered all over EZONE over 10000 hits it was a open Forum back then like IW.

who would think; http://www.kyosho.com/eng/products/rc/detail.html?product_id=104967 :eek: Hell I'm gonna get me one!

It's a sexy bird and the Dude Flying her has gotta have big ones!! Jimmy Doolittle beat her that year.

Here is a Elec RC Spit again cnc build, in captured German colours built 4 flys awsome.

DSC04379.jpg

Back to boats.

hgatjens; thanks for the pics. Only seen a few online. Those I haven't seen before.

Dose anyome know what she is skinned with?

I'm guessing it's Redwood or Cherry.?????????

MissBudweiserwp.jpg

(Mahogany) Thanks hgatjens!

Sure not in today's economy, With tree huggers and buy local fever going on.

Denis,

Here's a pic of my 66 Bud that I built last winter. Different hull but with the same mahogany caulked decking. You can do the same for your boat using paper-backed mahogany veneer strips with styrene strips ca'd in between. Finished off with 3 layers of 3/4 oz glass.

Bryan

Diamond5-03-09 068.jpg

Denis,

Here's a pic of my 66 Bud that I built last winter. Different hull but with the same mahogany caulked decking. You can do the same for your boat using paper-backed mahogany veneer strips with styrene strips ca'd in between. Finished off with 3 layers of 3/4 oz glass.

Bryan
Eh Bryan

Ya I was already looking up the evergreen styrene strips figured like .030"X.125" strips.

Fun part is that stuff gotta be hand sanded down as it goes wacky easly when power sanded-heat.

Already picked up a vainer sheet roll of mahogany can't find any pre strips like 1/4 " would work.

But I could turn into planks easily. May need a new blade for Rudy's dremal table saw! It's real thin and paper backed <_<

Funny Rudy lent me that table saw for like 25 years!!! And just took it back! Bite me good once and I lost some nerve endings on my index pinki! Lucky that machine has zero torque. My Pinki stoped the blade.

Eh Rudy can I borrow your Table saw again :lol:

Lotta work but looks way better then scribing that sheet and laying some white lines down then sand and clear.

Getting a good colour! Hmm will have to test some.

Ya sweet looking Boat! How does she run?

More pics please!~

Denis,

What I did was I cut the veneer into strips using a rotary bladed razor cutter and a steel straight edge. It is tedious but you get into a groove and you can make a lot of strips. I was able to get Evergreen to send me 24" lengths of their .040x.080 styrene(smallest you can get in that length). Hand sanded the .080 side of the styrene with a block of 60 grit sandpaper. Not too aggressive or you will lift the styrene from the heat. Always sand with the length of the pieces. Use a finer grit as you get closer to the veneer. Dust off frequently so you can see what you are sanding.

The boat runs great. It is a 1/10 scale electric and she has a nice ride. I have been very fortunate that I haven't damaged the deck from this season's racing. I think I will retire her soon while it still looks good.

Her is another picture of her before I finished the cockpit detailing and another boat I built using the planking technique I described, the 57 Bardahl. Have fun!

Bryan

x.jpg

P1016313.JPG

Eh kolroy those are 2 very nice looking boats.

And thanks of the info on styrene size didn't know you could get 24" strips :)

So I finally built a radio box that should work out! err <_< this is #4

Running the Pipe over the top seems easiest.

This is the new CMB silenced pipe, I think they

just introduce this pipe? Got it from http://www.hobbysupplies.com.au/

Servos are bolted down just scratching my head on how to tie down the battery and RX!

DSC04382.jpg

DSC04381.jpg

DSC04385.jpg

Latest posts

Back