Building a 67 Bud

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You could make new boats or just work with what you have until you get it right, then build a new hulls.

Wouldn't be too much work to deepen the sponsons and lower the AOA, maybe even fill in some of the airtrap... :rolleyes:

Ain't that Wixey Gauge sweet? Saw the Grimm's using one in Flint last May and just had to have one! :lol:

Got any pix of the final inside layout? :rolleyes:
Fowler tools makes the same gauge. How far is you drive dog from the transom? We like it as close as possible
Wouldn't be too much work to deepen the sponsons and lower the AOA, maybe even fill in some of the airtrap... :rolleyes:
As to the beveled sponson edges I'm gonna run whith that for now figure lots of air is spilling out there.

No Rudy and I rushed and didn't pose for pics. Nothing special!! will post a few when she's together again.

How far is you drive dog from the transom? We like it as close as possible
Got the drive dog right behind the transom! may need a strait edge to call me a liar! :)

Ok so those pads are gone! Sponsons are back to original! Got ideas throw them out!

As I understand the scales have quite the open book as to what they can hangs under there scale deck :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
You could make new boats or just work with what you have until you get it right, then build a new hulls.

Ain't that Wixey Gauge sweet? Saw the Grimm's using one in Flint last May and just had to have one! :lol:

Fowler tools makes the same gauge. How far is you drive dog from the transom? We like it as close as possible
As to the beveled sponson edges I'm gonna run whith that for now figure lots of air is spilling out there.

No Rudy and I rushed and didn't pose for pics. Nothing special!! will post a few when she's together again.

How far is you drive dog from the transom? We like it as close as possible
Got the drive dog right behind the transom! may need a strait edge to call me a liar! :)

Ok so those pads are gone! Sponsons are back to original! Got ideas throw them out!

As I understand the scales have quite the open book as to what they can hangs under there scale deck :blink:
My Fritz boat as well as Phils boat have no added ride pads. My aoa is closer to 4 than 3 all as it came from Bill Fritz no bad habits. The boat seems to like the Prather 255 with some pitch as well or better than a 1460

Well will leave sponsons clean for now and make up a set of pads to try in position B later in the testing, just tape em. Will bring more Lead along.

I've been told at London the 1460 is the prop I should work around. We did try a x457 with ok results .

Here is a longer Vid running @ AOA 3.6 and the X457.

Do ya balance with a full or empty tank?

Yup lots of work ahead!

Balance it with an empty tank. I'm assuming you are putting the tank under the deck forward of the engine. Is it just me or did it seem to be dragging the transom in the video?

Look your pictures : #1 better set up for Strut 2.5" degree (little curve brass tube)

#2 more strut down 1.5 more down .25" ( 1.75")

#3 If you move strut's mounts ( see point dog drive's hex screw to end transom)

Have a fun more test boat

Balance it with an empty tank. I'm assuming you are putting the tank under the deck forward of the engine. Is it just me or did it seem to be dragging the transom in the video?
yes 20oz in that location.

dragging the transom
ya like a dog on the carpet! Only running on a fat idle most of the time.

Thanks for the Input!

yes 20oz in that location.

dragging the transom
ya like a dog on the carpet! Only running on a fat idle most of the time.

Thanks for the Input!
1460 will pick the tail up a bunch and thats what you want p255 will lift a little less and be more forgiving at slow speeds

They had the 1967 out on a display this past weekend. Here is a YouTube of it, the 1980 boat and the Hurricane all on display in the water.

They had the 1967 out on a display this past weekend. Here is a YouTube of it, the 1980 boat and the Hurricane all on display in the water.

Whow would love to have see that! Did thet run them? Maybe more postings comming up soon!! B)

Ok seems I need a smoked windscreen.

Thanks!

Whow would love to have see that! Did thet run them? Maybe more postings comming up soon!! B)

Ok seems I need a smoked windscreen.

Thanks!
No, they weren't at a place that was acceptable for running. That is why the started they Griffon with no driveline attached. Just wanted togive the crowd a "feel" for the sound.

If you want I am happy to go down to the Museum and get you more detailed shots of the 1967 boat sometime.

Harry

If you want I am happy to go down to the Museum and get you more detailed shots of the 1967 boat sometime.
Thanks Harry :) I would really appreciate a few detail pics of her! Been looking online and only a few from a distance.

What was that place they were at and why?

I know the 68 boat is at the Hydroplane & and Raceboat Museum in Seattle.

Thanks Harry :) I would really appreciate a few detail pics of her! Been looking online and only a few from a distance.

What was that place they were at and why?

I know the 68 boat is at the Hydroplane & and Raceboat Museum in Seattle.
It was like one of those concours car shows they have, only this one included boats.

The Museum has the 1967, 1980 and 1968 Buds, plus I believe they also have the 1973 boat that came back from Australia. They were supposed to get one of the turbine boats, but I don't think they ever made that happen. I think they were offered the T2 but weren't able to get it for lack of a trailer or something like that.

That's what I heard too, Harry. They had the boat if they wanted it, just couldn't find a trailer to haul it on and had to let it go

That's what I heard too, Harry. They had the boat if they wanted it, just couldn't find a trailer to haul it on and had to let it go
That's weird they got dozen's of tailors. Bring along a welder and some steel and make one to fit.

I would have tie Wal-mart shopping carts together to haul that puppy home.

Management(Village Idiots) must have not wanted it!

I disagree Denis. The hydro museum at the time was in a little facility and had very little in the lines of funding so whatever trailer they got had to be donated. Every trailer they have now is for a specific boat so there aren't any spares to modify

That's weird they got dozen's of tailors. Bring along a welder and some steel and make one to fit.

I would have tie Wal-mart shopping carts together to haul that puppy home.

Management(Village Idiots) must have not wanted it!
Denis,I would not be so fast to criticize the Hydroplane Museum,especially if you are interested in Scales.The Museum is an amazing source of information and photos on everything related to hydroplane racing.David Williams,the Director,has answered my phone calls for info and e-mailed me photos without hesitation.If you continue to develop an interest in scales I am sure the Museum site will be on your favorites list,if not then you are not really into scales.

Harvey

Ok I tend to criticize a little too quickly! Shame to hear stories like that. YA would think something could have been borrowed rented or modified to move it.

Well guess ya can't save everthing in a Museum. What happened to the boat after all?

As to my management crack! Sounds like these guys have there hearts in there jobs. Not often the case anymore.

Looks like a great Museum from the site. and would love to see it someday!

Ok I tend to criticize a little too quickly! Shame to hear stories like that. YA would think something could have been borrowed rented or modified to move it.

Well guess ya can't save everthing in a Museum. What happened to the boat after all?

As to my management crack! Sounds like these guys have there heats in there jobs. Not often the case anymore.

Looks like a great Museum from the site. and would love to see it someday!
I wonder if the 71 Atlas is still sitting outside sure was in sad shape when i saw her last....

There hasn't been any word on either the 71 or 77 Atlas hulls that I've heard. That being the case, it probably is unless Harry has heard something different. At least the 71 had a tarp over it when I was there last, the 77 was just out in the weather on it's trailer

Checked the HARM website, nothing mentioned on either Atlas. I did find a comment on restoring the 73 Bud. Last I heard on that was something about it being redone as the 71-72 Pak, guess we'll have to wait and see

Back