what to do with the impba internats

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
THANK YOU RON. i will be in touch once we get the ball rolling.

come hell or high water we are going to work this out. we at least ow it to anyone that is passionate about racing model boats

Well every race site has different things to offer and all sites have good things to offer. Let look at it this way. Huntsville is a record setting lake and there have been a few records set in the heat of the summer at the Internats that have been held there. June is a good month in north Alabama. Mornings are mild and the day slowly heats up to the high of the day. But July, August, and September are hot and you are in a sweat by 6:00am in the morning. I remember one of the Internats we had in August was over a 100 degrees in the pits with the humidly in the high 90's.

Huntsville, Alabama is in the middle of IMPBA. Of course some are closer than others. But the racers that live in the outer radius have about the same mileage to drive. We have a permanent race site with indoor restrooms. There is a large indoor pool that shares the parking lot with us. We have the Space & Rocket Center. The first of it kind. Huntsville is the home of space travel. Our Hotels are lower in price than any other race I have been to.

Out of all the race sites I have been to Huntsville is the best and has the best of everything that can be offered in this kind of event.

Ron,

That is what I have been waiting to see. These threads are watched by many people that have manufacturers affiliation and so far and Anyone can correct me if I missed something but you are the first to make a formal commitment in this thread to addressing the one issue only you and your fellow boating supply vendors can solve. Thank you. Now lets see who can step up to the plate with you and we have a real discussion going on. I also agree with the sentiment that if you truly want to go you will plan to budget to and attend any race you are excited to go to. We all want to compete and spend time with others in the hobby showing what we know and learning what we don't. We need to keep the discussion positive and moving forward. I also think one thing that has not been discussed is getting some hotel chain to commit to a special rate at the nearest property to any sanctioned race.

James I've found the hotel chains to be more than willing to apply a special rate for these type events. A number of pattern events are held around the southeast and have no problem at all getting a good rate for the event. It's as simple as asking them for it. As for Huntsville I like the town and have flown a number of events there. Its a good place to have an r/c event. I haven't been to the lake but I can say that there are plenty of things to go see and more than a few very good restaurants to choose from. There are worse places you could have an event like this. Personally if it were that close to me I'd be there, with all of my nitro boats!! :)

Rick H.

I know I said this before, but I feel it is a big problem. Someone said the gas nats sold out in an hour and a half. I am sure Hobart will also sell out quickly.

That said, if you are not quick on the keyboard and right on top of it when the event is posted, you are not going!

I say ok to an event that is not the Internats although I don't like it.

It is not ok for the Internats! If you want to go, a d get your entry in before the deadline you should be allowed to compete. The winner should come from the best driver, well prepared equipment, and being fast on the water. NOT from being the quickest to enter.

Bill Wachtler

Since you guys are in the planning stages, I wanted to keep throwing ideas out to consider. Many of us now pull campers and toy-haulers to save on hotel and travel expenses, as well as making it easy to unload and stay at the site until the race is over. I would like to see more sites accomodate these needs like the Atlanta, Charleston, and Smithfield VA clubs have done.

Most of us realize actually racing boats is a small part of going to races. The fellowship with friends and new boaters at the site and in the evenings is what keeps us coming back....
default_wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice seeing Chris back in action!To me reading all this is how many real nitro racers are there still left out there ?Quad cities roostertails that held the 2000 internats is dried up like the pond did last few years.Some one stated that nitro motor sales are going strong but I bet you its a drop in the bucket compared to how many gas engines are sold.I bailed out money being the reason.I love nitro but the cost of a good nitro engine is too much,along with plugs and fuel.I went back to gas.Its a big commitment to hold a internats with the US1 time trials to make it legit.I know been there didn't even know what I was getting into but never regretted it a wonderfull time.I guess it all boils down to whos going to run the tractor LOL

#1. Old US-1 format!...or it's just another heat race!

#2. Old date window. I think it was July/August. If it's too hot for you, stay home! We all survived the heat for a solid week+ for many years.

#3 Because nitro racing participants are fewer, a central location ( Huntsville?) is crucial.

#4. Race managed and run by the membership. Money goes to IMPBA, less the amount needed to support the lake hosting club.

#5. Race held every Even year....starting in 2016.

#6. Last but not least. Shut down all r/c boating forums!!! Then everyone will have to attend the race to see what is new! That really was a big part of the draw back in the day.

These days we simply look on I/W to see who is building/running what and we have video to see their performance!...Less incentive to travel 1000 miles to a boat race!

andy

i TOTALLY AGREE with the money going to the impba.

I am working on the site. is this going to be over NO. but i am working on the site. I am kicking around ideas on prizes. I really want the race to focus on the race. just that nothing more.BUT i also really feel if this is going to be a success in the short term and long the IMPBA BOARD needs to HELP. i dont see hardly anyone on the board chatting about this on this thread.

lets face it.. intl waters is about the only if not one of the few model boat forums that is around. and for the impba to not be involved i feel is kinda shocking. don't get me wrong the impba is a org and for all intensive purposes that is it. but with out races.. or racers there is no IMPBA. lets face it. the INTERNATIONAL REGATTA IS THE IMPBA.

i will share what i have in mind

I am going to try to find ( have a few in the works ) a lake that will hold the nats.

MY plan is to hold a nats , and the money made will go back to the IMPBA, not the club, bob, tim, don, ed, ect. . THE IMPBA. i want a race that shows what we are about. BENEFIT THE IMPBA. like the daytona 500 showcases for nascar.

SO in the short that is my plan. I need help. i need people that will commit. will it be easy. NO. will it be fun.. LETS HOPE SO. the main goal is RACING. AND GROW R/C boating.. AND bring back what tradition is about and show that we may not be the biggest hobby in the world but we dam well will do what it takes to be the best

Ok lotsa good stuff..

I will say this as a past "board member" you dont speak for yourself a lot of times.... what a board member says should sorta be unbiase he / she should be speaking for there district.

The board does address issues like these which are brought up on an open forum.

It would be great if there was a internats.... yes I understand they did one not long ago, I didn't make it wish I did. I have been to 2 internats up where I would consider the northern states "indiana & ohio" . Now at these internats you did have racers from many places geographicly but for the most part they where all 6hrs or so away....I guess I would sorta expect where ever the location that more local racers would attend and try for a national title ....

Remember talk is cheap.... I wanna race this race .... hoping its local.

I applaud you Chris for trying to revive some interest in this event and I truly hope you can get enough interest from other than the handful of people who have expressed a desire to attend. There is probably less than fifty Nitro racers left in IMPBA that are willing to travel any real distance and of them probably less than half that can afford the time and money to attend.

Unfortunately if you do not look at the bigger picture and that is reinventing some real interest in Nitro racing at the roots level, I just don't see how it will be sustainable.

I believe the hobby is constantly evolving and I tuly believe that if its the format you guys really love and you want see it for many years to come then you need to evolve as well.

It's time to start adding gas classes to this event and eventually transition to what would most likely be an all gas event, and I'm sure in a few years as the evolution continues F.E. will most likely be involved as well.

Evolve or die.

I understand Tim

I wouldn't say there is 50 nitro racers traveling but I know the count is down

I am going to do what I cam to make it a go and if it falls flat well I tried I guess

But I have to at least tey

I applaud you Chris for trying to revive some interest in this event and I truly hope you can get enough interest from other than the handful of people who have expressed a desire to attend. There is probably less than fifty Nitro racers left in IMPBA that are willing to travel any real distance and of them probably less than half that can afford the time and money to attend.

Unfortunately if you do not look at the bigger picture and that is reinventing some real interest in Nitro racing at the roots level, I just don't see how it will be sustainable.

I believe the hobby is constantly evolving and I tuly believe that if its the format you guys really love and you want see it for many years to come then you need to evolve as well.

It's time to start adding gas classes to this event and eventually transition to what would most likely be an all gas event, and I'm sure in a few years as the evolution continues F.E. will most likely be involved as well.

Evolve or die.
There is already a successful GAS only Internats! Chris is talking about making a successful NITRO only Internats. The electric guys are progressing well on their own. Combining everything will not promote overall r/c boating growth.

Some of the Florida guys got together last Winter and, in short notice, put on a very well attended NITRO ONLY race at Brandon Fla. Several attended from the Northern US and Canada and a couple of nitro racers traveled from Europe specifically to watch the race. Nitro racing can be revived as long as we focus on Nitro only!

There are a lot of Nitro racers out doing other things, some that are much more expensive, while their boats sit on the shelf collecting dust. The nitro racers are out there. They just need an EXCITING event to draw them out.

Ken Olvis, We all managed to progress very well without the internet.
default_smile.png
These days we Keyboard too much and Run Boats too little!

Evolve or die.
There is already a successful GAS only Internats! Chris is talking about making a successful NITRO only Internats. The electric guys are progressing well on their own. Combining everything will not promote overall r/c boating growth.
Some of the Florida guys got together last Winter and, in short notice, put on a very well attended NITRO ONLY race at Brandon Fla. Several attended from the Northern US and Canada and a couple of nitro racers traveled from Europe specifically to watch the race. Nitro racing can be revived as long as we focus on Nitro only!

There are a lot of Nitro racers out doing other things, some that are much more expensive, while their boats sit on the shelf collecting dust. The nitro racers are out there. They just need an EXCITING event to draw them out.

Ken Olvis, We all managed to progress very well without the internet.
default_smile.png
These days we Keyboard too much and Run Boats too little!
Im well aware of what Chris is trying to do but it's not something new it's been around for a very long time and as the remaining die hard Nitro guys move on its attendance has followed suit.

A couple decent races does not change the fact that almost zero NEW faces are racing Nitro these days. You can only draw from the same pool for so long before it dries up.

Good luck Chris really Don't see the point in pointing out the obvious to those that just can't accept where the hobby is headed.

Tim

Tim:

The obvious that you talk about is obvious to those that have never experienced a full Internats. Only problem is that your conclusions are still to be determined. You might be correct, but I suspect that you are incorrect. Once a competitor experiences this type Internats, they are hooked. Most current boaters have not experienced this type Internats so they have no idea of the fun it is. There are enough competitive boaters still around that have experienced it like Chris who know that people would thoroughly enjoy the format and competition.

The Nitro Only Race that we had in Brandon Florida this racing season was a great success for the inagural event.

The key to success for a Nitro Internats is to keep the number of classes limited, have a nice central location site and be put on by experienced people.

Based on what we saw at the Brandon Race, I am positive that such an Internats would be VERY successful.

Logistics of putting on the race is always important, but with the number of people that Chris has commitments from, I know that these things will be handled well.

Get on board with this and make the input positive. Negative things by people who really don't have facts to back them up is not at all helpful and is in fact counter to progress on this project.

If you don't like the idea, maybe move on to some other thread and allow us to develop this idea and have OUR fun.

Count me in for this race, I will do all I can to promote it and assist in any way that I can.

Back