what to do with the impba internats

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I applaud you Chris for trying to revive some interest in this event and I truly hope you can get enough interest from other than the handful of people who have expressed a desire to attend. There is probably less than fifty Nitro racers left in IMPBA that are willing to travel any real distance and of them probably less than half that can afford the time and money to attend.

Unfortunately if you do not look at the bigger picture and that is reinventing some real interest in Nitro racing at the roots level, I just don't see how it will be sustainable.

I believe the hobby is constantly evolving and I tuly believe that if its the format you guys really love and you want see it for many years to come then you need to evolve as well.

It's time to start adding gas classes to this event and eventually transition to what would most likely be an all gas event, and I'm sure in a few years as the evolution continues F.E. will most likely be involved as well.

Evolve or die.
There is already a successful GAS only Internats! Chris is talking about making a successful NITRO only Internats. The electric guys are progressing well on their own. Combining everything will not promote overall r/c boating growth.
Some of the Florida guys got together last Winter and, in short notice, put on a very well attended NITRO ONLY race at Brandon Fla. Several attended from the Northern US and Canada and a couple of nitro racers traveled from Europe specifically to watch the race. Nitro racing can be revived as long as we focus on Nitro only!

There are a lot of Nitro racers out doing other things, some that are much more expensive, while their boats sit on the shelf collecting dust. The nitro racers are out there. They just need an EXCITING event to draw them out.

Ken Olvis, We all managed to progress very well without the internet.
default_smile.png
These days we Keyboard too much and Run Boats too little!
Im well aware of what Chris is trying to do but it's not something new it's been around for a very long time and as the remaining die hard Nitro guys move on its attendance has followed suit.

A couple decent races does not change the fact that almost zero NEW faces are racing Nitro these days. You can only draw from the same pool for so long before it dries up.

Good luck Chris really Don't see the point in pointing out the obvious to those that just can't accept where the hobby is headed.

Tim
Tim,

I have been in the NITRO boat business full time since 1985. I know what the growth and deflation curve looks like for the 30 year period. Yes, Nitro is less now. NO, nitro is NOT heading toward total obsolescence. We at CMDi continue to supply Nitro equipment to long time diehards, newbies and boaters returning from many years off. They are out there. You just do not know them.

There are several factors as to why nitro racing is slow. All of those factors can be directed in a positive growth line, by any group of individuals who wish to promote Nitro boating in a positive manner.

I am sure Chris appreciates your input. I am glad you are moving on!

Andy,

You are spot on. Many people go and come in this hobby. Mike and I took a 17 year absence to raise and take care of our kids. Only after they were finishing high school and going into college did we return. First thig we noticed that not only were there many faces we recognized, there were many new faces as well. At the WTC in Charleston a few weeks ago, there were no less than five newbies to the hobby and boat racing, with a couple of them doing very well and winding up in the water at the end of the race. I see this at almost every race I go to and with all of our help, it will continue. Our nitro racing hobby is alive and well and positive influences will help it continue to foster. I am excited to see everyone on here willing to help get our previous IMPBA race participation and success back on track and I will continue to help and make every effort to participate as well.

Grab a buddy or neighbor the next time you go to the pond.

I would like to here from anyone where CENTRALLLY. Would you like to see this happen?

I may go down in a flame trying but I am dettmined to get this worked out

Chris we are only looking at Districts with current IMPBA Clubs/Members so included in that are District 1 (Canada, NY and PA), 2 (OH, MI and Canada), 3 (FL), 4 (IL and WI), 5 (AL and LA), 6 (MN and MO), 12 (MD and VA), 13 (GA and SC) and 14 (IN) (District 7 has no Clubs but does have members so the IMPBA site says.) So the most central with an active available lake to everyone would be MO (Mt Vernon being very close to IL border), IL, IN or OH.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like to here from anyone where CENTRALLLY. Would you like to see this happen?

Throughout the 1980's many Internats were held at Huntsville.

Fairly central to Michigan and Miami. Va, Pa. Tx. We had the "Super Nats" there 3 years in a row if I remember correctly.

It is a great lake for US-1 events and the heat is not too bad in July.

The Hobart race gets a good Nitro turn out as does the Fall Nats at Charleston. A big race (Internats) at Huntsville gives a 3rd location for a big Nitro race.

And really I think the January Nitro race at Brandon , Fla. will prove to be a forth great event because many from the Northern racers are looking for an excuse to travel South for a few days.

I started model boat racing in the Twin Cities (MN). The Internats were never close. Went to Ft Worth in 94. I think Indy was as close as it got from there. Now living in the south tip of Florida I am on the other end of the spectrum. Attended Internats in Seville and Evansville. (07,8,9,) Huntsville or Evansville are the most centrally located in my opinion.

Mic

Huntsville the most central and overall the best facility. Very long history of the Internats being run at Huntsville . June is good weather in Al. Some of the cheapest hotels in the country far better than in Iowa. I can't get a room in Waterloo for less than $110/night. In door toilets, blacktop parking, record setting lake, Olympic size indoor pool. NO steps to launch the boat, concrete launch pad.

One year the board put the Internats on because it was so easy.

Those who have been to Huntsville know what I am talking about. There is a reason Andy set many records at Huntsville and most of the current records have been set at Huntsville .

I am sorry Chris you have not been able to sample various race sites.

I have had the opportunity to have raced from Oxford MI Canada to Sarasota Fl and Charleston to Dallas and many in between and there are no sites better some may be as good. Many of these sites held the Internats.

In fact we have traveled so much we bought a new trailer and plan to continue to travel to races.

Hope to see you at The Internats. I will predict 21 hydro will be vary difficult to win US-1. Come prepared and hope for some luck.

Not to step on any ones toes but Huntsville is not centrally located but it is a great place for the Internats for sure!

Not to step on any ones toes but Huntsville is not centrally located but it is a great place for the Internats for sure!
Historically South and central Fla racers have made up to 25% of Internats attendance. Huntsville is a 15 to 17 hour drive for that group.

As Doc mentioned. To put on a race at Huntsville is, EASY! The facilities are nearly perfect. For a US-1 type Internats it's,TURN KEY!

One thing I did not see mentioned, I may have missed it , is the effects of having 2 different organizations splitting up the gene pool of potential racers . It seems that if there were one sanctioning body , like the AMA of aeromodeling it would draw people closer together with one set of rules , etc and then you would have a larger group to draw from for the race .Just a thought .

One thing I did not see mentioned, I may have missed it , is the effects of having 2 different organizations splitting up the gene pool of potential racers . It seems that if there were one sanctioning body , like the AMA of aeromodeling it would draw people closer together with one set of rules , etc and then you would have a larger group to draw from for the race .Just a thought .
I think most racers who travel to races, seamlessly flow between the organizations. To put them together and create one organization would be like colliding atoms together! A political nightmare.

All is probably best as is.

Pete, it is 10 hrs from East Iowa to Huntsville. I drive it frequently to see my Dad in Waterloo and family

Btw Huntsville is in the center of Impba. The distance from Fl to Huntsville is about the same to Iowa or Chicago or Ohio. Btw it is no further from Charleston to Huntsville than Huntsville to Charleston. So traveling can't be a one direction road.

Really Doc Alabama centrally located to the rest of IMPBA Territory? I am all for Huntsville as its closer for me but its not for many!

IMPBA Central.jpg

Historically South and central Fla racers have made up to 25% of Internats attendance. Huntsville is a 15 to 17 hour drive for that group.
As Doc mentioned. To put on a race at Huntsville is, EASY! The facilities are nearly perfect. For a US-1 type Internats it's,TURN KEY!
I am ready to go back to Huntsville!!

I am ready to go back to Huntsville!!
Ill go

I'll be one of the 50! Count me in Chris!

Steve Ball

Really Doc Alabama centrally located to the rest of IMPBA Territory? I am all for Huntsville as its closer for me but its not for many!
Huntsville is the center of the largest mass of racers that would attend the Internats. Michigan, Fla Virginia, area to the East and West of Huntsville.

Many of us from Fla traveled to Elmira, NY in 1997. Probably just as many as came from the more local Canada area.

But just to be fair Ron, make a list of clubs that have the facilities to put on a US-1 Internats. Then get a consensus from everyone concerning the various locations.

The biggest Internats I ever attend were all in Huntsville. Went to Ft.Wayne, Ind. in 1996 not so big!

Back