what to do with the impba internats

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Instead of talking about being central, how about being close to where the largest concentration of Nitro Racers are. The others will come if they are interested enough. I know that I would be there along with some buddies.

Andy indicated that a bunch of us went to Elmira, NY for a great internats. THAT was a drive for most.
X2

John i realize that but i am one that has mine in mail right away, i guess if it does go to paypal only i drop out wqhen you get ripped off by them for close to 300 you dont want to use them any more, what you do on mail in make it they have to be in 2 weeks ahead of time and on mail in if they dont show no money back if you havent heard from them

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm an FE only guy. We've never had the numbers the fuel guys have. FE is such a niche and not for everyone. However, we have had some decent sized races up here in MI. Nothing crazy.

Some thoughts.

A recurring notion I've read..........."for the hosting club too make any money" Why is this expected? I've been to events (an FE nats once) where the whole thing just felt like a money grab. High entry fee's, high class sponsor fees, then extra for this, extra for that, extra, extra. I know what hosting costs. I've done the budget work more than once. Then very little response to what the racers were saying about the pace etc. Just power through. Go go go. Get done by 4pm but bake everyone in the process. In the end it was unsatisfying. I knew when we got back on the road we wouldn't be back.

We've (MMEU) been doing the hosting thing on and off for about 15 years now. We've tried to break even on every event we've hosted. Close at least. We've reduced pricing a tic when we could. If we had the funding we've used it to provide lunches. Covered pit areas. Power for everybody. One year we had a live band after racing was finished for the day. Accept that you're the "host" and make your guests as comfortable as possible. Turn your races into events. Make it a destination instead of just a race. Sure, you need great competition. Otherwise we're just having a party but we have to make it more than that if we want people to show up. I can get my race fix at my local puddle. I have to want to get to a race.

Our focus should be on the race and the racers not on making dollars. Happy racers make more racers. Enthusiasm is contagious.

8 days is nonsense. If you have the numbers then sure but clearly that isn't the case or there would be no discussion. Something to consider is allowing the host club determine the classes that will be offered. We made this call for the 2014 NAMBA FE nats. There are some classes we knew could only just barely field a heat even at the nats so we didn't offer them. Guys that were coming didn't waste time building and testing for say crackerbox at our race. They instead focused on a class offered. Allowing the host to choose the classes would give each years event it's own flare based on region. There are few 10th scales in MI at the moment. We can't seem to field even a heat but out in Seattle it's huge. So why make them offer T mono when few out there has them? For me? If I were going there I might build a 10th because they weren't offering T mono. If the host club doesn't have a point of reference as to what expected attendees want to run they can use entry numbers from the previous year, quiz district directors, quiz larger clubs.

Start with 4 days with the option to expand if numbers dictate.

Just ideas guys. I know how hard it is to get guys off their local pond and to a national caliber event. I've traveled 26 hours in a weekend to race. It's hard for me to listen to guys when they say "it's too" this, that, or the other. We've all heard the "it's too" excuses. "it's too" hot, cold, far, early, late, expensive, time consuming. How to get passed "it's too" I'm not sure either.

I'd say Tuesday 1/16 Straightaway, Wed. 1/3 Oval, Thurs, Fri. and Sat 1 round a day of heat racing. But for AB Hydro, CD Hydro, E Hydro F hydro, Scale AB Mono, CD Mono, E Mono, F Mono. Not too many classes and you'll be done in plenty of time for a banquet. 5 Days.

I'd say Tuesday 1/16 Straightaway, Wed. 1/3 Oval, Thurs, Fri. and Sat 1 round a day of heat racing. But for AB Hydro, CD Hydro, E Hydro F hydro, Scale AB Mono, CD Mono, E Mono, F Mono. Not too many classes and you'll be done in plenty of time for a banquet. 5 Days.
I think that would work but you're forgetting tunnels. 24+ entries a piece in both B and D tunnel at the most recent Charleston race. I'd say those are significant enough numbers for inclusion. Not to mention the boom of the twin hydro class. That should probably also be included along with an additional round of heat racing to make at least 4 for the week. I especially like consolidating the week of racing more so towards the weekend than midweek.

-Mitch

I think that would work but you're forgetting tunnels. 24+ entries a piece in both B and D tunnel at the most recent Charleston race. I'd say those are significant enough numbers for inclusion. Not to mention the boom of the twin hydro class. That should probably also be included along with an additional round of heat racing to make at least 4 for the week. I especially like consolidating the week of racing more so towards the weekend than midweek.

-Mitch
Too many classes can cause time problems. Three rounds of heat racing is not enough to determine a CHAMPION. 1/3 mile, 1/16 mile and 5 rounds of racing was the old US-1 format.

The best way to solve the "too many classes" issue is to invite all IMPBA US-1 classes, BUT set a 12 boat minimum to make a class. I think most would agree that winning a coveted US-1 plaque against a field of just 6 boats would feel...well like, not such a big accomplishment.

I do not see an issue with a 7 or 8 day race. Open water Sat. Trophy trials Sun, Mon. Tues. Racing Wed.- Sat. There were years that we could not attend the FULL event (time & money).... So we arrived just in time to have fun with the 4 days of heat racing and attend the afternoon pool parties and Banquet!
default_smile.png
. That makes a race with something for everyone.
default_smile.png

One important point that Terry Davis touched on is the FUN FACTOR! Racing sun up to sun down is NO FUN. With more days added to the race there is time to stop early in the afternoon (when it gets HOT) and head for the POOL....or do some other activity with friends/family. That is how the Internats were back in the 70's and 80's. Just plain Fun and Friends!
default_smile.png

As Charles suggested. Everyone here should suggest a good site, along with reasons it would be a good venue.

A few of us have suggested Huntsville with reasons why. I will add that those who have suggested Huntsville have attended IMPBA Internats at many locations across the far reaches of IMPBA territory for as many as FOUR decades.

-Mitch
Too many classes can cause time problems. Three rounds of heat racing is not enough to determine a CHAMPION. 1/3 mile, 1/16 mile and 5 rounds of racing was the old US-1 format.

The best way to solve the "too many classes" issue is to invite all IMPBA US-1 classes, BUT set a 12 boat minimum to make a class. I think most would agree that winning a coveted US-1 plaque against a field of just 6 boats would feel...well like, not such a big accomplishment.

I do not see an issue with a 7 or 8 day race. Open water Sat. Trophy trials Sun, Mon. Tues. Racing Wed.- Sat. There were years that we could not attend the FULL event (time & money).... So we arrived just in time to have fun with the 4 days of heat racing and attend the afternoon pool parties and Banquet!
default_smile.png
default_smile.png

One important point that Terry Davis touched on is the FUN FACTOR! Racing sun up to sun down is NO FUN. With more days added to the race there is time to stop early in the afternoon (when it gets HOT) and head for the POOL....or do some other activity with friends/family. That is how the Internats were back in the 70's and 80's. Just plain Fun and Friends!
default_smile.png

As Charles suggested. Everyone here should suggest a good site, along with reasons it would be a good venue.

A few of us have suggested Huntsville with reasons why. I will add that those who have suggested Huntsville have attended IMPBA Internats at many locations across the far reaches of IMPBA territory for as many as FOUR decades.

Hey......this is a beginning. We now have TWO boaters that agree. Let us expand on this and see where we can go.

Robert, if you want to enter, I will pay your entry fees and you can pay me back with a check.....

Let the majority rule. Some of us will have to compromise if we are to get this great race going again but just look at how all of us will benefit from the experience.

Charles

so other than huntsville.. suggestions on a site...

and when i mean a site.. not just a lake.. the whole package. the town it is in or by has other things to do. you don't have to stay at a smoke shack in for a hotel. ect ect.

Andy was right about the number of years we have traveled to Internats. But lets look at a little history. There has been 56 Internats that I can tell. I have been to about almost 30 myself. The total number of Internats is 10 in District 5. The first was Memphis, TN 1971. The next ones were 1985 thru 1988, 1992, 1998, and 1999 Huntsville, Alabama. Jackson, TN 2004 and 2005. All these sites were about in the middle of IMPBA and were the most attended Internats ever.

So to put this is a better light. The Huntsville site is plug and play.

Thats three Huntsville AL., Evansville IN. and Mt Vernon IL. That's all I see steppin up....... so lets get it set and we can roll onto the details!

-Mitch
Too many classes can cause time problems. Three rounds of heat racing is not enough to determine a CHAMPION. 1/3 mile, 1/16 mile and 5 rounds of racing was the old US-1 format.The best way to solve the "too many classes" issue is to invite all IMPBA US-1 classes, BUT set a 12 boat minimum to make a class. I think most would agree that winning a coveted US-1 plaque against a field of just 6 boats would feel...well like, not such a big accomplishment.

default_smile.png
default_smile.png

default_smile.png

Probably should allow free time for Simone (says), and (opera on the rocks).

Mobydick

-Mitch
Too many classes can cause time problems. Three rounds of heat racing is not enough to determine a CHAMPION. 1/3 mile, 1/16 mile and 5 rounds of racing was the old US-1 format.The best way to solve the "too many classes" issue is to invite all IMPBA US-1 classes, BUT set a 12 boat minimum to make a class. I think most would agree that winning a coveted US-1 plaque against a field of just 6 boats would feel...well like, not such a big accomplishment.

default_smile.png
default_smile.png

default_smile.png

Mobydick
LOL I remember those days Dick
default_laugh.png

-Mitch

default_smile.png
default_smile.png

default_smile.png

Mobydick
Dats wha I talkn bout! FUN FUN FUN
default_biggrin.png

-Mitch

default_smile.png
default_smile.png

default_smile.png

Mobydick
default_biggrin.png
Moby,

I guess nobody wants to play 'Simon says' anymore? Oh well.
default_sad.png

Not to bash this thread but there are plenty of good races to attend without taking a week or more off at once. Don't get me wrong I'd enjoy a full blown Internats but can't find that much time take it happen these days

I think that would work but you're forgetting tunnels. 24+ entries a piece in both B and D tunnel at the most recent Charleston race. I'd say those are significant enough numbers for inclusion. Not to mention the boom of the twin hydro class. That should probably also be included along with an additional round of heat racing to make at least 4 for the week. I especially like consolidating the week of racing more so towards the weekend than midweek.-Mitch

default_smile.png
default_smile.png

default_smile.png

Probably should allow free time for Simone (says), and (opera on the rocks).Mobydick
default_biggrin.png
Moby,I guess nobody wants to play 'Simon says' anymore? Oh well.
default_sad.png
Andy I do want to play I would love to spend anther we eek with Dick I miss all the good times at the pond with Dick.

Back