what to do with the impba internats

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will be happy to help with the technical stuff of running the race. I have run 3 US#1 type Internats so I have the things needed to do the technical stuff of scoring, calculating EOP, US#1's etc. I also understand the weighting of classes for points to calculate the Excellence of Performance, US#1 and President's Cup.

Also, how to schedule the various events, number of competitors and how to get it all done in the time scheduled.

I also have some other fun thing type suggestions from other Internats that I have been to and some that I have officiated in. The one close to you, Chris, in Peoria that Dick Jones did had some fun stuff that coule be incorperated in a Mt Vernon Internats.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will happy to help with the technical stuff of running the race. I have run 3 US#1 type Internats so I have the things needed to do the technical stuff of scoring, calculating EOP, US#1's etc. I also understand the weighting of classes for points to calculate the Excellence of Performance, US#1 and President's Cup.

Also, how to schedule the various events, number of competitors and how to get it all done in the time scheduled.

I also have some other fun thing type suggestions from other Internats that I have been to and some that I have officiated in. The one close to you, Chris, in Peoria that Dick Jones did had some fun stuff that coule be incorperated in a Mt Vernon Internats.
Moline Illinois internats is/was my favorite boat race of all time!! that week was soo much fun!

Tim

The last Internats was US-1 format.

Chris

I'm not against your discussion, I think it's great to hear all these ideas. I am just stating what some of the obstacles are so we can "fix" them. I am like you, I like to solve the problem. My point is that actual racers are a minority in IMPBA.

Al

Great post! The Charleston Club, their site, and John are doing a fantastic job.I would recommend anyone to go their event.

I had that idea of splitting up into class groups a couple of years ago.You could have all sport boats at one event, all riggers at another, and so on. Different clubs could host each event to lessen the burden. Arguments against it were if a person had a mono and a hydro, he would have to go to two different events. Then if their boat only fit into one class, he is racing only one boat at each event.
It was a US#1 Internats (I CD'd it in Charleston) but it wasn't an Internats where everyone that wanted, ran SAW and Timed Oval BEFORE the heat racing started mid week. If this is going to happen, it should be the full Internats with everyone that wants to run SAW & Timed Oval being able to sign up to do that.

The only GAS US-1 Internats 2000 was held here in Huntsville. A majority of the Gas guys are not interested in a timed event with heat racing. As for Sammy's statement about the new US-1 format there have been many sucessful US-1 Internats from 1998 on. 1998 was hosted here in Huntsville by the Nashville club and Huntsville club and in 1999 it was hosted here by the IMPBA board and IMPBA clubs. Look at the IMPBA web site it has the history of where the Internats have been hosted. Mike Lange and his club hosted it a few times as did the Jackson, TN club and those were all sucessful. Mike Langes group did step up when th eNew York club bailed on hosting the event due to pond problems and they did loose money then. I think the biggest help to promoting model boating was MeTIME their viedos and live streamming were great publicity for model boating around the world. That ype of publicity veiwed by boaters all over thworld makes modelers want to be a part of the competion and fun!
Because they have NEVER done it or heard of it. If they were exposed to it, they would love it.

I will happy to help with the technical stuff of running the race. I have run 3 US#1 type Internats so I have the things needed to do the technical stuff of scoring, calculating EOP, US#1's etc. I also understand the weighting of classes for points to calculate the Excellence of Performance, US#1 and President's Cup.

Moline Illinois internats is/was my favorite boat race of all time!! that week was soo much fun!
Root Beer Floats at Noon Every Day !!!
default_smile.png

I would be glad to help work on sponsorship and any other things that could help the hosting club and the hobby to make these regional and national events something to be excited about and that if you don't attend you will be envious of those that did. I do think that flags or banners for the host club to display at all their races would be good promotion and help build excitement for the future races. Ideally it would be great to have to many clubs asking to be the host.

a & w cream soda here we come lol.

i will start working on some things. IF ANYONE ON THE IMPBA BOARD IS INTERESTED PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

Been there done all that Marty! I did all the Special Award calcs in 2004 and 2005! I didnt win a LeFeber Award for nothing LOL!

I kinda already stepped up to the plate to Manage the Event but help is appreciated!

Edit:

Just found all my 2004 and 2005 Heat Racing, SAW and Oval TT's Results.

I have all the records for US1 in all classes.

2005 Presidents Cup was Ernie Lafluer

2005 EOP was David Preuse by 8 points over Ron Zaker

I didn't find my EOP or Presidents Cup for 2004. I think that was left on an old laptop and I failed to get it off.

The only GAS US-1 Internats 2000 was held here in Huntsville. A majority of the Gas guys are not interested in a timed event with heat racing. As for Sammy's statement about the new US-1 format there have been many sucessful US-1 Internats from 1998 on. 1998 was hosted here in Huntsville by the Nashville club and Huntsville club and in 1999 it was hosted here by the IMPBA board and IMPBA clubs. Look at the IMPBA web site it has the history of where the Internats have been hosted. Mike Lange and his club hosted it a few times as did the Jackson, TN club and those were all sucessful. Mike Langes group did step up when th eNew York club bailed on hosting the event due to pond problems and they did loose money then. I think the biggest help to promoting model boating was MeTIME their viedos and live streamming were great publicity for model boating around the world. That ype of publicity veiwed by boaters all over thworld makes modelers want to be a part of the competion and fun!
Because they have NEVER done it or heard of it. If they were exposed to it, they would love it.
They included some gas classes at the 2010 Internats in Seville because attendance was poor even back then. I got a US-1 in LSG-27 Sport Hydro. It was fun and I cheerish it as much as my National Champion trophy's I won at the Gas Nats.

They included some gas classes at the 2010 Internats in Seville because attendance was poor even back then. I got a US-1 in LSG-27 Sport Hydro. It was fun and I cheerish it as much as my National Champion trophy's I won at the Gas Nats.
That's awesome ChrisMaybe it's time to start adding the popular gas classes to the mix to help?

Been thinking. We have done this before many times and understand what it takes to do this. And I have some ideas about it. But to start with if we thought about doing the Internats in Huntsville. What time of year would be a good time for everyone. Early June is pretty good around here. Everyone send me a e-mail on the time of year. [email protected] With this information we can compile for a time of year. I will post the results and ask the next question.

mark.. with the crazy heat there in the summer. late.. maybe sept.. that would be me anyway. but i also think that the race should be at the end of the yr not in the beginning.

Be careful about doing it in early June to escape the heat of the summer. We did that for the 2012 Internats for the same reason and I heard from many that school was still in session for a number of areas and they cannot leave right before or during exams. Hence they did not come. You, regardless of the area hosting the race, will likely face the exact same thing. So we changed it to a later date in June, shortened the race, and it got worse. Make sure if you put it at the end of the year it is after the Hobart and the Fall Nats race. They are both huge draw races. IMHO, late October to mid November is the only window late in the year. Weather up north or the Midwest may impact it as well. A lot of footballs in the air to consider.

Good luck guys, hope you pull it off. The racers that want it and will attend it definitely deserve it. Over and out.

Been thinking. We have done this before many times and understand what it takes to do this. And I have some ideas about it. But to start with if we thought about doing the Internats in Huntsville. What time of year would be a good time for everyone. Early June is pretty good around here. Everyone send me a e-mail on the time of year. [email protected] With this information we can compile for a time of year. I will post the results and ask the next question.
Hey Mr. Bullard,My dad talked to you about this in Huntsville I think. The Nitro Ducks will be willing to help y'all put it on, just ask.

Dad's got a few ideas too, hopefully to increase the draw. Just give him a shout when you get a chance.

I know we'd love to attend another Internats. Winning a US-1 is definitely on my RC bucket list. Timing on the last two was just insufficient with school. Most schools let out early June, for a heads up.

Alabama is HOT during the summer months.. Huntsville is a good spot but like others have said late in the season!

Nitro is in a slow death. Very few new hobbyist are going out to buy a nitro boat setup. The diehards are thinning out as well but are a stubborn bunch. We currently have two organizations, NAMBA & IMPBA, add to that nitro, gas and fast electric classes. Man, that's spreading it pretty thin.

How about running all open classes, open cat, open mono, open hydro, etc. Race participates would build boats that would have to be competitive with the most popular fuel format used by racers. Open Offshore currently works like that, and if you dare to run a light fast nitro against a 54cc twin, go for it.

One national organization would also be healthier for the sport. I bet if we went this route nitro would all but dry up on the racing circuit. Except for twin nitro hydros,(which are growing in popularity) and those can be raced with the gas twin riggers.

mark.. with the crazy heat there in the summer. late.. maybe sept.. that would be me anyway. but i also think that the race should be at the end of the yr not in the beginning.
This issue with that is school. While yes it's hot, kids are out of school during summer and people have time to plan and allocate a week off to go boat racing. Like Mr. Knight said, they tried the Internats at an earlier time to avoid the heat and it produced a negative turnout. Late in the year you have to compete with Thanksgiving and Christmas budgets for travel and gift expenses. Summer seems like the only solution. Maybe, early August at best and hope for a random early fall temp drop.

-Mitch

there is always going to be a reason.. school. holidays, family vacations. we are going to just have to pic a location and a date and make it work.

i think we have a couple spots in the works. 2016 we will see what we can do.

Blaise,

Love ya buddy,

But you are sooooo wrong. You have your gas head deep in the sand. Nitro is alive and strong as ever. If anything, I see just the opposite, gas guys coming back to nitro. Nitro engine sales are strong, race participation is strong at certain races. Fla which many consider gas country, had a nitro only race last year and it was a huge success. The Charleston WTC tunnel only race is a success every year, and the Charleston Fall Nats sells out quickly, (last year in 1 1/2 hours), so nitro is strong. This thread is about the IMPBA Internats and what to do to increase interest in this race. Obviousy its not a club issue as Charleston tunnel and Fall races are a huge success. The IMPBA National Race last time had low particiation and this time was cancelled alltogether. There are lots of great ideas being presented and many people willing to step up to turn it around. I will make my committment that Novarossi Marine USA/Novarossi World will be a major sponsor for this race. Keep the great ideas coming!!!

Back