The Boat Formerly Known As Project 'Hydro-plow'

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re:project 'Hydro-plow'

Thanks, Rick.

This thing is 3 lb, 7 oz -- COG is 9 1/2" from transom -- and the shaft centerline is even with the sponson bottoms.

I'll raise the strut a bit more and try it again tomorrow. Our setups aren't that far apart, but who knows?

RCBL...got it on the 7th. (check your PMs) Thanks!

(Sorry Eric, couldn't resist! ;D )

Well, I'm tired of beatin' this dead horse. Changing the strut made a noticable difference, but not enough. After a chat with Rick we decided it just weighs too much.

So........bye bye TRX .15 w/electric start & water cooling -- hello air cooled, belt started .12!

Oh well....live and learn. ;)

.....or you could put a heat sink head on it from a truck and get a non-pull start back plate for it. That would lose a lot of weight there alone! I got a spare head for my Trinity/ Picco/NR off eBay and cut the top 3 fins off it. The motor still runs plenty cool plus it lost a few ounces!

Where do you guys get that cool looking plastic disk-flywheel with engaging teeth for the belt? I've seen it on a couple of boats now. Looks like it would grip-more with less pulling on the belt.

Hey PJ, Live and learn. It took me a couple of tries before I got my riggers to plane. Hey I still have a couple that have never got on step :'(

You got to see the new CAT I'm building -I'll post something tonight

Hey Eric, I could be wrong, but I think the Flywheels you are talking about are for gear drives so the engine can face forward & you can get more tore out of them. From what I have read, they are a lot more common in Europe. :-

whew!

when i saw the thread title, i thought maybe in a fit of insanity [or would it be sanity? with us model boaters, you never know.... 8) ] you had torched the boat and wanted to hold a memorial ceremony for it or something! :)

so, instead of the OBVIOUS solution of making 500 sets of rear sponsons, one for each idea that we [now known as the Hydro-Therapy Think Tank and Criticism Team] suggested and trying them all out, you decided to try a new engine- cool. :) what .12 are ya gonna try?

Joe

I dunno...kinda like the looks of the HPI Nitro Star.

1.0 BHP...35000 RPM...7 oz...$109.00.......PURPLE!

Anybody run of these?

Maybe a Trinity/Picco .12 Pro.

35500+ RPM and 1.25 BHP....$129

What does the "Hydro-therapy Think Tank and Criticism Team" think? (I like that, Joe!)

trig1001.jpg

That looks like the one that comes in some of their RTR kits. Not that high quality. Try to find a nova based, picco,or OS. The nova based HPI or usually any nova based 12s will have three little notches on the engine mounting lugs. I broke in the one you pictured for a guy at a local shop in a touring car and was not to impressed. The Mugen MT12 or RB x12 both put out stupid power with really good longevity. A little more pricey but really worth it in the long run. My 2 cents. Rick

An SG shaft is machined to accept the bearings of the clutch bell directly and without an adapter. It has a short threaded portion for the flywheel nut, then the smooth portion, then an E-clip groove on the end.

Yo PJ,

A Picco .12 with heavy mods different carb and a way to short Mac pipe spinnin a 1938 razor sharp Octura went 52 in the Gillmanator ;)

Drumroll, Ba Dum Bum!!!

Gene ;D

Gee,I get the impression somebody else likes Piccos around here.
Who, me? Naaaaa. I'm just trying to get to 50 posts. I have owned 7 of them though! ;)
EDIT: 50 posts and still a newbie. Must be only halfway there huh? :'(

Looks like the Picco is the fave for this project.

Gene...what mods? Carb?

Altimat...51 posts will get you a Jr. Membership. ;)

Back