The Boat Formerly Known As Project 'Hydro-plow'

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Propjockey

Well, in the spirit of new beginnings, I thought I'd share my latest venture with y'all--my very first outrigger! (applause)

OK...here's what I'm working with. I started with a Dumas L'il Rascal kit. Of course I can't leave anything alone, so here's what I've done so far. Drum roll please...............

*kit calls for a .09-.10 engine...I'm using a .15 (Traxxas TRX .15 Pro)

*it came with zinc plated wood screws...I used stainless machine bolts and T-nuts

*front sponsons were attached with two screws...I used three

*kit came with 3/16" plexiglass to cover the radio compartment...I used 1/8"

*I doubled the transom from 1/8" to 1/4"

*hull was square at the front...I tapered it (looks MUCH better)

*I stuffed the nose full of styrofoam

*sharpened and polished the rudder and turn fin (ALL metal will be polished)

*moved the rear sponsons back 1"

*moved rudder bracket back 1/2" to clear higher pitched props

I'm attaching pics--take a look and tell me what you think.

Re:project 'Hydro-therapy'

Propjocky,

Whats the sticker made of? I like that. I would like to make some of my own. I am wondering if they hold up to high nitro.

Have you gotten any further on the construction?

-MikeP

:) :)hey man,

how's it goin?? [particularly the 'rigger!! ;D]

never really got a chance to thank u for the inspiration, mines goin well. I strengthened the hull some and ordered my engine, a k&B .18 [i know it s a little big, but i thought id just run it 20% and make sure the hull was good and strong :p ] just wondering, are u planning on putting a flywheel on? im not sure if i can [cuz the carb is over the engine shaft, so i dont think there's enough room] and im tryin to figure out if its really neccessary.......... ???

thanx for the idea,

joe

hey PJ.... don't permanately attach the rear sponsons. use double sided servo tape. that way you can adjust them. also try to make the depth and angle of the prop shaft adjustable..... unless of course you went with a solid shaft.....

Mike--the sticker is a Create It window decal, should be available from any office supply store. It's a thin vinyl sheet (static cling) with a coating on one side that lets you print on it. Being static cling, it doesn't have any adhesive. I cut it about an inch smaller than the plexi lid, centered it in place, and covered it with an adhesive laminating sheet. Work out any bubbles and trim it to the edge of the lid and you're done.

I also painted the back of the lettering with white acrylic paint to make the colors opaque. As for nitro proof...don't know yet--but it is vinyl................

Joe--welcome aboard! Glad to hear you're goin' nitro. About the flywheel, you may be able to put one on backwards--so the groove is away from the engine. Might give you the clearance you need.

Thanks Tom.......................ummmmmmmm, how permanent IS epoxy? :-[

it will come off with heat.... like a paint remover heat gun.... just be very carefull!!!!!

unfortunately i dont think the groove would be enough space, the carb is RIGHT over the engine shaft. :-i guess from what ur sayin' the flywheel is a must....

it works kinda like the magnets on an electric do, right?

[keeps it going when there's torq and stops it sooner]

if thats the case, would it be okay to use a lathe and make something that would fit, but would be thicker w/ a smaller diameter? maybe K&B will have somethin to say about it....then again my engine hasnt even shown up and im trying to modify stuff. how close to running is ur 'rigger?

joe

I'm not catching your drift on the whole magnet thing, but in theory, the flywheel has several jobs--it smooths out the impulses from combustion by giving the crank extra momentum (it's that old "objects in motion tend to stay in motion..." thing). The centrifugal force helps balance the crankshaft (I remember that from college-don't ask me to explain...it gets REAL complicated). And the flywheel gives you the means to start the engine (the groove).

Does an engine NEED one? Don't know...my airplane engines don't use them, but they have propellers--they do the same thing. My hydro engine has a relatively small flywheel, but the clutch assembly is steel and is pretty hefty.

Did you say you have a lathe? [SIZE=17pt]HEY EVERYBODY--JOE'S GOT A LATHE!!![/SIZE]

Sorry ;)

Turn a flywheel--what the heck!

I'm waiting on the drive dog and tailnut to get back from the machine shop (hey...don't YOU have a lathe?) I need to figure out something for the fuel tank, or break down and have Grim build one for me. A 2 ouncer is all that will fit like it is--not much run time for a ported .15 I'm afraid.

MIP Stinger, paint, polish, and put it all back together.

Here's a pic of my flywheel--

uuhhhhhhh......propjockey......... : :) : :) ::)actually [SIZE=9pt][/size][/SIZE] I DONT HAVE A LATHE, ive just got a friend [who happens to be a retired machinist and has about 30 of 'em] who got me into boats and keeps me in by helping me out everytime i need it......... ;D ;D

'bout the fuel tank, how big of one do u need for heat racing? i cant find a nice flat one to slip up under my cats nose, so a square one any bigger than 6oz is gonna hafta stick up out of the boat like a big ugly cockpit...................................... :- :- :- :-

since a rigger cockpit's rectangular, cant u just get one of those sullivan ones and stick it infront of ur engine?

j

"Friends with power tools are the best friends to have!"

http://www.grimracer.com/id71.htm this is Grimracer's place--check out those custom tanks!

I figure 3 1/2 to 4 oz should be plenty--problem is the kit was designed with a 2 oz tank in mind. I'll have to start choppin' to get a bigger one in the original location (directly in front of the engine).

Does anybody have a clue what this thing should weigh when I'm done? I put everything in the hull and carried it down to the Post Office..........2 lbs-10 oz.

I still have to add the weight of the fuel tank and lines, pipe, prop and paint. I'm guessing it will be pushing 3 lbs finished. (beginnin' to wonder if it will even float!) Neither the kit nor the plans list weight.

My .15 rigger came out to 2.5 lbs. I think if you went with the flywheel and starter belt and removed the onboard starter you would be good. I had to machine down an octura flywheel for mine. If you want I will do the same for yours. I have a 4oz tank in mine and it is just about right, but more than is needed for a heat race. 2oz. will be a little small for goofin around. I use mine alot more for driving practice than racing. You should be able to open up the fuel compartment for a larger tank and make a cover for the hole to hold it in place and keep water out.

-MikeP

jeez! :eek:

nice fuel tanks.........[that sounds kinda stupid, but it's true....] :p i think i'll stick with a tower hobbies plastic one, cuz im not on the kinda budget line that those things probably are......... :) good thing i asked about the tanks, i was planning on something in the neighborhood of 11oz...

i think i'll go w/ a nice little 3/4oz rectangular one. bout the weight, 2.5 lbs...the plans to my cat say it should weigh 3 lbs 10oz w/ a pretty competetive elec. setup. i know riggers should be lighter than cats of around the same size, but still i was expecting to have alot more leniency in that area when switching to nitro..... oh well.

joe

Got the header back from the welding shop--a little Dremel work and polishing, and it almost looks like a Macs.

what pipe are you planning to use?

the home-made one's looking a little dubious, so i'm trying to find a good backup...any suggestions in a 30-40$ price range?

b.t.w., do the longer headers like that work better that the little ones that just curve around and connect directly to the pipe, or is it just better for the design of ur boat?

i got my prop in the mail from TB today, its absolutely gorgeous, at least to someone used to plastic ones.... ;D ;D

Back