The Boat Formerly Known As Project 'Hydro-plow'

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re:project 'Hydro-plow'

yea, that was my question too.... how hard of a launch did you give it?

Holy crap! Glad I stopped building mine! I planned to finish it mid summer, but I'm going to wait till you get your sorted out! Shure you don't want a .65 for that thing? What a bummer... I hope there wasn't a shore line full of spectators watching. Whould have been enbarassing! ;)

After seeing the pics, I see why you started to call it a plow!! At least it looks really cool. I’m sure if you keep messing with it, you will get the right combo to make it fly as well as it looks. ;)

hey i got an idea.......whip up a nice .80 mono, tie a string to the back of it and the other end to your rigger, and use that for a launch!!

quick n' easy solutions guy, THAT'S ME!

try giving it a really hard launch and lots of throttle, or maybe bigger back sponsons....

Joe

I think the rear sponsons are too far back. you should move them forward so they are flush with the transom. Also the nose is too narrow. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

PJ Loose the rear spoons. It looks like there is water going over the rear spoon. If that is water then the rear will never brake loose. I've been there done that with rear spoons. I suggest you move them up a bit to actually get them to lift.

What is the distance between the bottom of the hull and the bottom of the front spoons?

My boat has the front spoons 5/8" deeper than the bottom of the hull. If the distance is too small you will never break the hull free from the water.

Make those changes and try one more time: You will make this thing rock-n-roll or you will need therapy doing it -right?

Thanks for the input y'all. (RCBL....LMAO!)

The fronts are 11/16" deeper than the tub and the rears are 7/16" deeper.

What do you think about cutting the rears down and tucking them under the tub?

The Hammerhead .12 has that configuration with the rear sponsons under the hull, & they are even with the transom.

Maybe the rear sponsons are just way too heavy & that is why she won't get up on plane, the prop just can't push it up.

PJ,

what i meant by making the sponsons bigger is somehow getting the back to ride lighter, the other guys just had better ways of doing that than me.... :-X

maybe if you made the rear sponsons thinner but deeper?

jeex, if you did everything we said you'd have 5 or 6 sets of back sponson and a REALLY sore hand from all the cutting and sanding.

Joe

P.J.

You just might just need more power. I forget, what motor are you using and do you still have the onboard starter on it?

Don ;)

Thanks for the input y'all. (RCBL....LMAO!)

The fronts are 11/16" deeper than the tub and the rears are 7/16" deeper.

What do you think about cutting the rears down and tucking them under the tub?
Maybe. Or try cutting some blasa blocks, cover with monokote or tape, and stick to the inside of the rear sponsons and tub bottom just to test the effects of more lift in the rear.

don't get to mad just yet. Here's a couple pics of my rascal. First one shows how much of a pile it is,second one shows a pretty quick pile.

[SIZE=22pt]RICK...HELP!![/SIZE]

Dude, that looks promising! Can you you answer a few questions...PLEASE?!

First...what's it weigh?

I'm guessing your prop is a V937...how deep is it set?

Where is the balance point?

What launch technique do you use?

Anything else you could tell me that would be helpful -- I'm one step away from sticking a .21 OB on the back!

The thing weighs 3lb,3oz,937prop. COG 10 inches from transom. Drive dog is 1 1/4 from transom. Bottom of strut is even with or just a hair above bottom of spoons. When I had it deeper it made the rear end twitch back and forth like mad. Raised it up and settled the thing right down (per Toms advice) and been a blast ever since. Picco round port side exhaust I swiped from my touring car. Macs 1210 muffled pipe at 7 1/4. 40%

Guys the Rascal was designed back in the days of 1/2 HP .12 engines. Lets not fool ourselfs into thinking that this boat somehow needs 1.3HP engines to get up on plane.

Guys the Rascal was designed back in the days of 1/2 HP .12 engines. Lets not fool ourselfs into thinking that this boat somehow needs 1.3HP engines to get up on plane.
I understand that. I was just supporting my brand! Actually I had this engine in my 1/10 off road car and it did run very strong.

PJ, did you get the engine mount I sent you? You can use it to put the .21 outboard on it! :D

P.S. I had to ask my 16 year old nephew what LMAO meant. Kinda new to this lingo. I had an idea that's what it was. ;)

Back