SAW Files

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
has anyone ever hooked up a servo and a gyroscope from a micro helicopter up to some canard wings? you could set it up to help keep your boat at a certain attitude. if the boat was about to take off the gyro should kick in and give you more wing. at the very least it might prevent a blow over. would something like that be legal?

I say take those wing thingies off and throw them away. The only way to go fast is with a boat with no change in lift as speed increases. That will be my approach. I figure that it will take 3" of pitch to go 70mph with a 21,and 4" of pitch to go 80mph with a 45. The 21 Leecraft so far,has shown no change in attitude as speed increases. All I need is the right prop. I currently have 20 different props for my 21 that are all around 3" pitch.

Section F page 2 paragraph 2 line B.

"Inertia reaction devices such as rockets or jets are prohibited, as a main source of propulsion".

I have always wondered why that was written in there...."as a main source of propulsion".

Ok......still got the outboard pushin her to the lights, third channel switch fires the rocket!!!

Now, before your light bulbs start coming on, I think after one pass you would

be ordered offf the course! :lol:

My interpretation of the rules is that you can use an "alternatitive power source" to get up to speed and then let the "primary" source of power take over.

:D Honestly Guy's,

Im really not sure what its gonna take to do it, But I bet cha one of us figures it out here before to long,

Its gonna be fun ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree its gonna be fun to try. my design could be total flop, and if it is, ill be the first to admit it :D

may the best boat / racer win.....

~James

When are you guys going to come to one of the record trials? It sure gets lonely being the only outboard there.

Hey Bob,

I believe James is shootin for Jan in Valdosta,

Me I should start testing in Oct, I can run here till early Nov, after that its a matter of,

Is the boat ready and my scheduling for a weekend ta give it a go,

Gene :D

Yep, im going to Valdosta as long as it is still gonna happen, if not, well im not scared of a road trip...

~James

I will be going to Flint Michigan in September and Huntsville Alabama in October and November. I think it will be too cold in Valdosta in January to do much good. My favorite place for records is Huntsville.

last time I raced in Valdosta in January, the temp was around 75-80 degrees when we got there for open water, by the time sunday came around we were freezing our butts off....

Ill have to play it by ear, that part of Georgia doesnt get too cold at anytime of the year...only when a "winter" storm blows through.

Heard good things about Huntsville, might have to make a trip over there. However the Valdost water was FAST last time I was there...

~James

No way could I be ready by September, But Flint would be fun, Get Mark S and his prop box there,

Hmmmmmm......let's see....One from colum A, Two from colum B :lol:

topfuel443 said:
Slideblues said:
Now setup I like em lite and loose, I got there once but It was a handfull,shortest pipe length possible and turning the most pitch it can stand and still rev out.

stage one......
well you said it buddy, light and loose BUT CONTROLABLY loose is the ticket. tunnels arent fast unless they are light and loose PERIOD.

INSERT PICTURE HERE

H4 as a BACKUP??????? well I have seen reasons to keep the H4 as a primary.....

did someone say adjustable wings....?

why not adjust them ON THE FLY.......

Not gonna say anymore, Im gonna let you guys put the bar where you think it should be, then its gonna be obliterated.....

~James

Ive already let too much out of the bag with the previous pics, so whats this gonna hurt?
Seems like a pretty extreme amount of attack on those wings. I'll get a picture of what we have done, perhaps today. Our wings are just that, wings, made from epoxy in an airfoil design. My concern with the setup you have here is they would act more like spoilers that provide radical braking rather than a minor amount of downforce. Too much angle input via a servo, as you know, could cause the nose to bounce and blow the boat off. All we are trying to accomplish is to create about 12 to say 14 ounces of downforce at 75 mph.

Actually the wings we are trying were made for a gyro experiment on a .21 tunnel that hasn't been perormed yet. The concern is that too much variable wing input could cause the boat to oscillate and bounce it over.

Boat length versus width...our .45 boat is as long and wide as what you would normally see in a circle boat. The deck lift, if any, deadrise, drag, and tunnel dynamics are what's different, so I'm not convinced that either make nearly the difference as the latter components. Time will tell though. With that boat we made a one way 76 mph pass and the boat didn't hit the pipe until just after it broke the lights. How fast is that out the back door?

James, I do see some areas on your boat where changes would reduce drag. If any of you have access to the NAMBA Newsletter put out in July you will see our straighline boat from the back and see one drag reduction area that's no different than the big boats, as well as the bottom of the boat.

i would have to say i agree with GTR about the torque roll isue . each time i try big props and lots of power on either of my 3.5 or 7.5 hopper tunnels , i have seen the left sponson being carried out of the water while travelling down the straight . this problem gets severly worse when i mount a 11cc ob on the htb360 . dont take this wrong , i am not hashing htb boats or the stretched / narrowed villian. good luck to all who are trying to do the SAW. ernie

Slideblues said:
Neat idea Chris,Adjustability is a big factor to me cause of changing water conditions.

OK next question,

length vs. weight vs. short stroke revs vs. long stroke torque ?

Do ya really need 30 plus inches to keep one on the water at six plus pounds, or can ya do it with 3.75 lbs and lotsa revs ? :eek: :D

Yes Kev, I know please refer to Rule no. 5,6,7 :lol:
I need both. We need to pull the right prop and get it to the pipe. From there we need the singing RPM. I'm sure the drivers in the IRL will be saying the same thing next year when the start turning to the right as well as the left. Their engine package right now is all about HP on the top end, but have substantially less torque than the prior package.

wingnut said:
has anyone ever hooked up a servo and a gyroscope from a micro helicopter up to some canard wings? you could set it up to help keep your boat at a certain attitude. if the boat was about to take off the gyro should kick in and give you more wing. at the very least it might prevent a blow over. would something like that be legal?
See the comments a few posts above. It will work and we will try it on a circle boat, but not for straightline.

Hi Ernie,

Welcome to the forum, I am sure lots of the guy's will value having you here on both Oval and SAW,

Please feel free to comment anytime,

Gene :D

Chris, Yea Im doin the powerhead boogie right now try'n to deciede which way ta go, So far I am leaning towards short stroke, but the jury's still out :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back