SAW Files

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kevin

All these desaign ideas they are talking here - do you get the urge to build the set of drawings I sent over? I think it will work. ;)

Heya Gary shouldn’t you be working on that new house B)

That’s a very nice design….If I ever do another tunnel, your design will be built. At the moment I’m suffering from serious lack of free time (not unlike you I’m sure)

Look at the front of ower boats...................... :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

I tell the family they can't see the forest because of all the trees !!!

Now " Duck Boy " Tells use it's right in front of ower faces :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Mr. James

Last edited by a moderator:
Gene break out the pictures..... :blink: I think it's a comb!!!!! Aero & ?????????

Clark Y = high lift wing = drag - stable = ballooning

Symetrical = streamlined = least drag thinner the better - neutral = little or no ballooning

Bullet Nose & Symetrical cowl - top deck

SHOOT !!!!!!! What I know about r/c boats won't fill a sheet of paper........ :( :ph34r: :huh: :huh:

See how crazy I am : I write in PURPLE............

You know!! you're right :huh: :eek:

Lets see Blue for psycho colors

I like the Yellooowwss !!! they make you chili willy :huh:

See U Guys later I'm going on a trip..............

It's only been in front of my face for 1 1/2 yrs................... How long has it been in yours ?????

[/color]

Butchie ya crack me up Dude!!!! :lol:

I thinks so much....... I gives meself a headache :blink: :D

I lost my aero / hydro dynamics pgm last HD crash.....Bummer :(

Do still have this example from Jim Russell:

Geno

I always wondered about that....................my airplane wouldn't fly backwards either...............................

Got photo # 2 ??????????

The psycho bug...

waterbug sc said:
I always wondered about that....................my airplane wouldn't fly backwards either...............................
LOL..... Butch, just when I thought you had lost your mind for good, you say something intelligent like that....

~James

:lol: Butchie thats all I got on the laptop, When I get back to tha house I did burn

a couple CDs before the crash, I'll look and see what I still got on them,

Gene :D

Oh just build a 30" outlaw sprint car. Instead of putting wheels on it put sponsons on it! Does not have to look pretty just has to stay on the water for two passes. On second thought....maybe that would work better for the oval record... :blink:

Hey Yea!!!!! :lol: Me like that idea.........Getting the stagger right might take a while thou :wacko: :D

james irwin said:
AJUSTABLE WINGS ?/  CHANGABLE FRONT WEIGHT ?/  YOu GUYS EVER LOOK AT YOUR BOATS FROM THE FRONT BACK ?  IT IS apparent what is wrong ?/  and they all have the same thing , you are so used to your boats being desinged like they are you cant see the leaves because of the forrest , if you ever get it figuerd out there is an atoumatic 6 mph to be had with no other changes . god bless        brother roach , keep your  trap shut on this one ,  let them find it . if they do they will rattel and roll  :D   :D   :D   :D   :D   :D   ;)   ;)   ;)   ;)   B)   B)   B)   B)   B)
:huh: What just happened? Sorry...haven't been online for a few days. Jim, a guaranteed 8 to 10% better performance just in the hull by changing something that is so close to our face that we can't see it? I can tell you one thing, if you were able to pull it off you would probably have the records. We know you have the power to do it. :D Do note though that to this point we have set these records with boats that quite remarkably actually resemble their full size counterparts. Just adding wings goes against many things we believe in, but we will try anything else once. I will guarantee you one thing for certain, within our own group and close associations there is well over 70 years of cumulative intellectual capital in tunnel boat racing (and I'm not talking about the little boats with records included in those boats) and a good portion of that in manufacturing full size tunnel boats (not the little ones). That included with the several years of aeronautical experience, and decades of model boating experience in engine building and prop applications, I believe we would have found that 6mph easily. Fact is, we know we've gone 78+. 6mph more with the old lady we're running may cause the paint to fall off! It would, though, continue to be our personal preference to maintain as much of the scale dimensions of the full size boats as possible. That to me is much more impressive than setting records with purpose built that purports to be an outboard tunnel boat, but does not truly represent the intent and spirit of what that really means.

As you know Jim, we're always open to your unique insights. If you would like to share with me off line via email you know my email address. We've talked about this kind of stuff before and would be happy to talk about it again.

Chris, I can only do the "Think Tank"' thang for so long, and I ding out and go off on a tangent, kinda a release I guess, Been kicken this problem of 63+ mph fer three years now,

We can reel it back in,

Well I just found out bout some zone'n issues at my SAW pond we got goin on, So Im on hold till I can find out what they up to now <_<

Slideblues said:
Chris, I can only do the "Think Tank"' thang for so long, and I ding out and go off on a tangent, kinda a release I guess, Been kicken this problem of 63+ mph fer three years now,We can reel it back in,

Well I just found out bout some zone'n issues at my SAW pond we got goin on, So Im on hold till I can find out what they up to now <_<
You're right, the think tank seems to run out of steam or things get wierd after a little time passes. You know what they say Opinions are like...everybody has one and they all stink. Let's hear it for RESULTS! Good luck and good RESULTS to all!

Awesome topic guys! I SURE HOPE a few of you make it to Valdosta for Speed Week II (Dec 27 - Jan 2). The temps for that time of the year average about 65, but like we all know it may be anywhere between 80 and 35. I honestly believe the chances for record setting weather is very high at least for a few of the days (I wouldn't be driving 975 miles each way and spending 1 1/2 weeks of leave if I didn't think the weather would be good for records). Yeah the water is pretty fast...even with the small turn outs we've had there has been a bunch of passes over 100 mph with the fastest of 114.4.

I am working to get some of the big name - go fast guys to the event and would love to have you top tunnel guys make a showing!

Glenn

Hey Guy's

We do have some exceptional talent on this board and very capable hull/powerhead combo's,

And a invitation from Glenn,

So lets go burn some Nitro, and like Chris said, See some Results!!!!!

Keep em shiney side up now........ :lol:

Gener ;)

Chris Wittrig said:
topfuel443 said:
Slideblues said:
Now setup I like em lite and loose, I got there once but It was a handfull,shortest pipe length possible and turning the most pitch it can stand and still rev out.

stage one......
well you said it buddy, light and loose BUT CONTROLABLY loose is the ticket. tunnels arent fast unless they are light and loose PERIOD.

INSERT PICTURE HERE

H4 as a BACKUP??????? well I have seen reasons to keep the H4 as a primary.....

did someone say adjustable wings....?

why not adjust them ON THE FLY.......

Not gonna say anymore, Im gonna let you guys put the bar where you think it should be, then its gonna be obliterated.....

~James

Ive already let too much out of the bag with the previous pics, so whats this gonna hurt?
Seems like a pretty extreme amount of attack on those wings. I'll get a picture of what we have done, perhaps today. Our wings are just that, wings, made from epoxy in an airfoil design. My concern with the setup you have here is they would act more like spoilers that provide radical braking rather than a minor amount of downforce. Too much angle input via a servo, as you know, could cause the nose to bounce and blow the boat off. All we are trying to accomplish is to create about 12 to say 14 ounces of downforce at 75 mph.

Actually the wings we are trying were made for a gyro experiment on a .21 tunnel that hasn't been perormed yet. The concern is that too much variable wing input could cause the boat to oscillate and bounce it over.

Boat length versus width...our .45 boat is as long and wide as what you would normally see in a circle boat. The deck lift, if any, deadrise, drag, and tunnel dynamics are what's different, so I'm not convinced that either make nearly the difference as the latter components. Time will tell though. With that boat we made a one way 76 mph pass and the boat didn't hit the pipe until just after it broke the lights. How fast is that out the back door?

James, I do see some areas on your boat where changes would reduce drag. If any of you have access to the NAMBA Newsletter put out in July you will see our straighline boat from the back and see one drag reduction area that's no different than the big boats, as well as the bottom of the boat.
Just got a report from the lake. Again, unfortunately I could not be there but that's why it's a team boat. We just went 74.1 mph two way average (.45 tunnel) with those wings. Our purpose for the wings was to create just enough downforce to replace the weight we had in the boat which was causing it to bow steer at low speed and be dificult in transition. It worked to perfection. Report is there's a lot more there. That average was with crooked lines through the trap and the boat still a little rich. Will report back if there are any changes.

Oh yeah...Jim Irwin, we're still using the same CMB setup.

Hi Chris

Congrats on the 74mph record or maybe you got it higher by now. Can you fill us in on the rest of the SAW runs. See you in November.

Mike

:D :D

Just got off the phone. We just bumped the B (.45) MOD to 75.452 mph which makes it the fastest published Model OB Tunnel record in the world! That was our goal and we did it. Great job to the guys at the lake (Jimmy Johnson, Mark Grim and Chris Grim) for getting it done. Jimmy also reported that he bumped the NAMBA C MOD (.67) record to 67.18 and the C Stock record to 52.75.

.45 Record Credits:

Hull: Old DeHoog/Grim modified by Jimmy Johnson

Engine: Irwin's 2000 CMB (Modified by Mark Grim) on Lawless

Prop: Octura

Radio: Airtronics

It's my turn to hold the radio in November and can't wait to get this .45 Mod record close to or at 80.

:D :D

Not many other people there. Mark Grim has made some passes in X Hydro and B Hydro. The water got a little blown out yesterday afternoon, so real passes are going to be made this morning. Will advise of any changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back