SAW Files

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slideblues

Fist off let me say Im a cheese'n bout all you guys buildin up SAW tunnels, for the longest time there were only a couple of us runnin on this board.

The more the merry'r in my book, Now hows about a discussion on the aspects of gettin a tunnel to 65 mph and backing it up for a record in .21

James, Billy B, Kev, Bob K, Chris W, hows about it, no secrets need be said, just a general discussion bout the subject.

For me I set up the boat to peak in the lights, that is not be maxed out on the start and wild revs thru the lights, if a two stage happins I want to be in tha chute, not the entrance.

Now setup I like em lite and loose, I got there once but It was a handfull,

shortest pipe length possible and turning the most pitch it can stand and still rev out.

Hulls, well the fiberglass vs. wood debate could go on and on, but to me one is easy to change something and one is not, I choose the easer way for myself.

Pipes well there is a good question, but this time Im a going time warp with a certain mod that I keep hearin bout, seems to work well with the Euro's powerheads.

Props, is tha magic, Im running a Sholund 1640 with a few whacks here and there and maybe a H4 as backup.

Conditions, well flat perfect water is nice with a crisp temp in tha low 60's

with low humidity, but hey ya got to be able to adjust to different conditions too.

Now the rest of you chime in here and lets talk some if ya unt too,

Gener :D

Last edited by a moderator:
:lol: Ya mean dats it, Well what was I thinkin :D :D :D

This from tha guy that has had a Villain faster than me....... :p ;)

Ron Byrd/Ron Drake, like to hear from your camp too B)

I will try to post some pictures later,but as most of you know,I bought all of Tommy Lee's record setting boats. I have his 21 SAW boat,his 45/67 SAW boat and his 45/67 oval boat. Tommy set his boats up with the centerline of the propshaft even with the bottom of the boat. The 21 boat used an ABC H4 prop to go 65mph. I am getting ready to test these boats in the coming weeks,so I will post more info as I get it. My goals are as follows: 21-70mph,45-80mph,67-85mph.

Hi Bob,

Yea pics are KEWL, I'd really like to see a shot of the 21 hull, let us know how your progress goes, Geeet em Man!!!

I'll be postin pics later as my buildup goes along too,

Gene :D

Saw Files Rules

1. Keep Boat on Water.....once in the air you are decelerating

2. You get what you pay for in Powerplants

3. If boat does simple Up---then down on stern you're usually going to be running again within 5 minutes, If boat goes Up, prop-walks sideways and rolls........Something is very broken, warm up the truck cuz- yer -goin home soon

4. you usually get what you pay for with Hulls/ homebuilt is best for saw

5. Heavy with lots of prop/pitch is better than light

6. Heavy with lots of prop/pitch is better than light

7. Heavy with lots of prop/pitch is better than light

8. I’d rather be lucky than good any day of the week

9. burbon is definitely better than scotch

10. If I tear the first one up, I'll build another and try it again ;) :D

Right now we are focused on the .45 NAMBA record. We want to get it at 75 first, which isn't too far off, and then perhaps 80. When we get it to 75 we will start to focus on the .21. We have made one change to the .45 boat which we hope will help it. We're having to carry too much weight to hold it over on the top end, and that causes it to bow steer on the low end and be quite tricky in the transition. We're adding some adjustable wings to create the necessary downforce on the top end. Haven't tested it yet and Jimmy Johnson will be running the boat at the event which I may only be able to attend for a little while. If the wings don't help we will likely build a new boat.

The 16 series prop sure makes a big difference. I expect the same will be true for the .21 record. Our plan is to run my .21 circle boat to see where we are. Once we evaluate that we will know whether it will get to that 65 or not. As you know, the right tunnel depth, sponson inclination/frontal area, deck lift and deck lift location are the big areas we need to watch.

Of those trying to set these records who is and who is not running the cavitation plate? Those who are not, what difference did you see when you made the change?

Adjustable wings?

Might I suggest something like this?

1wing.JPG

2wing.JPG

Turns out these need to be enlarged just a tad....I ran out of adjustment :rolleyes:

supprising how much lift is at 21-22 mph :)

I wanted to put something way out on the sponson tips to create the largest Moment. I didnt do it; figuring that someone would protest

Variation on the same theme, non adjustable thou:

Chris I have ran with a shaved down plate, but have not tried it without one,

izitbrokeyet? said:
Adjustable wings?
Might I suggest something like this?

Turns out these need to be enlarged just a tad....I ran out of adjustment  :rolleyes:

supprising how much lift is at 21-22 mph :)

I wanted to put something way out on the sponson tips to create the largest Moment.  I didnt do it; figuring that someone would protest
What we did was a little different. I don't have pictures right now. Ours are on a jackscrew mechanism. The angle of attack is equal on both sides and a single adjustment unit is connected to each wing and a jackscrew comes through the top of the boat (6/32). In the same manner that we adjust the height and trip on our mounts, we can adjust the wing angle in very small increments. We can add, say a 1/2 turn of wing or just an 1/8th if we want. We can back out that adjustment if we don't like it and go right back where we left off.

Neat idea Chris,

Adjustability is a big factor to me cause of changing water conditions.

OK next question,

length vs. weight vs. short stroke revs vs. long stroke torque ?

Do ya really need 30 plus inches to keep one on the water at six plus pounds, or can ya do it with 3.75 lbs and lotsa revs ? :eek: :D

Yes Kev, I know please refer to Rule no. 5,6,7 :lol:

Slideblues said:
Now setup I like em lite and loose, I got there once but It was a handfull,shortest pipe length possible and turning the most pitch it can stand and still rev out.

stage one......
well you said it buddy, light and loose BUT CONTROLABLY loose is the ticket. tunnels arent fast unless they are light and loose PERIOD.

INSERT PICTURE HERE

H4 as a BACKUP??????? well I have seen reasons to keep the H4 as a primary.....

did someone say adjustable wings....?

why not adjust them ON THE FLY.......

Not gonna say anymore, Im gonna let you guys put the bar where you think it should be, then its gonna be obliterated.....

~James

Ive already let too much out of the bag with the previous pics, so whats this gonna hurt?

this would be the O **** stage, if something gets outta hand....

of course there are a million adjustments in between, just a matter of where youre thumb and index should put the third channel.......

~James

Kevin, werent we talking about hitting the same wavelengths a few months back???? :D :D :D :D kinda scary huh???

Hey James, Way Cool, servo adjustable.....Yes nice idea ;)

H4 backup ? Yep, my 1640 is serious fast, Got a bit of a thang throttle'n

But once that pup hooks up its GONE!!!!! :D

Gene is alot sneakier than he seems at first..... I see what your doing :D , lets let everyone else shown their goods, so I can see what im up against.....then ill sneek the pseudo villain (pro built, might I add) in the mix when they arent looking......

whats it gonna take?

70mph? I dont think so....

~James :D :eek:

:lol: Who Me??????? Well I know not what you speak of Buddy ;) :D

Nope no pro built Villain, The pic with winglets was my oval boat, the new boat will have some PSRP parts as does all my hulls, Its still in design stages and collecting pieces/parts for the buildup.

My goal? Stabile and repeatable runs at 65 mph and tweek from there,

Slideblues said:
:lol: Who Me??????? Well I know not what you speak of Buddy ;) :D Nope no pro built Villain, The pic with winglets was my oval boat, the new boat will have some PSRP parts as does all my hulls, still in design stages and collecting pieces/parts.

My goal? Stabile and repeatable runs at 65 mph and tweek from there,

LOL.... :D

Hi Guys

I'm not convinced that long and thin is the answer as I would expect it to become unstable (torque roll) when pulling really high pitch props. I would have expected wide with different tunnel depths to be the answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back