PLEASE READ IMPBA SPORT 20/40 RULES

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You guys didn't forget about the new gas scale class running in the NW did you? I know it's a NAMBA sanctioned club but it does still exist.

Last edited by a moderator:
This will never happen,the gas crowd guys are after speed.The sport hydro guys are after sport hydros that are 3 point hydros of the past
I agree with you Mike. With the exception of past or present style of 3 point hydros. If you just say past when was that? Before cabover pickle fork hydros ruled the races? I still want to build and race a sport 20 or 40 that looks just like my families 1982 Ron Jones style 145 hydro some day.

Mark

This will never happen,the gas crowd guys are after speed.The sport hydro guys are after sport hydros that are 3 point hydros of the past
I agree with you Mike. With the exception of past or present style of 3 point hydros. If you just say past when was that? Before cabover pickle fork hydros ruled the races? I still want to build and race a sport 20 or 40 that looks just like my families 1982 Ron Jones style 145 hydro some day.

Mark
That is N excellent point. the rules read "past or present". However then they go to say NO recessed transoms. Take a good hard look at this PRESENT limited hydro ( but we can't do this hull )..... What the beep, beep....

DSC_6472.jpg

Im quite sure however that Paul is working hard on this and its just a matter of time before we have some info.

Grim

Well are'nt you two funny (Grim and Rodney). No it is NOT! If it reads president! This is a PRESENT HULL!!! Then contradicts that by saying no recessed transoms. So it's "F" up if present limited boats have recessed transoms now hu, isn't it BOYS. I know what past and present means. The strut is on the transom ( sport 40 ) also. Just propose more rules up Grim, then not admit to it when called out on it.

Don't get me wrong I don't want the class getting into that of riggers either. Perhaps the word PRESIDENT should not be in the rules if the 40's can't mount the strut on the transom and no recessed transoms are allowed!

TL

Tim..

Do this then.. for us that "dont seem to get it" .. just so you know its clear as mud to me too..

Write up a set of rules that cover this with no confusion and I will vote!

BTY.. did the sport classes really intend to mimic of the real boats.. does it matter... Should they.. Would that make it easer to "police" if it was?

It might be best to go back and understand "how" our sport classes were conceived. Just what was the INTENT of the members of the IMPBA in regards to the sport classes.. I know what that was.. do you? Do some research and talk to some people to understand it. Its still a bit muddy but knowing this does help some.

Lots of questions..

Grim

Yep and only allow old school round nose hydro's :rolleyes: Why don't you just start a 20 thuinderboat class. If I where to build a model that looked like are old 145(now 2.5L) you guy's would say it is illegal and it was built back in 1982. We had recessed transoms and struts hanging off of them back then. Want pictures? Or should we just all run sport 20's and 40's that look like Miss Thriftway hulls, smoke some herb and say that's cool dude! I do not think you guy's know what the spirit of the hydroplane is. It has always been creativity not rules on hull design. Don't get me wrong riggers or modified riggers have no place in the sport hydro class.

Oh what here I found some pictures of past hydro's with recessed thin transoms and struts on the transom. How could they. don't they know it does nothing for the performace or handling or setup.

4891728862(4).jpg

IMG_7124.jpg

Grim the only thing you want to protect is the rules that you starting in IMPBA for the sport class's. Times change Dude. Rock On Man! Wow. Start a dam thunder boat 20 and 40 class if that is what you want.

Grim maybe we are thinking alike and do not understand each other on the web. I have a real passion for Hydro's. Did you know there were kneeler and laydown inboards in the 80's?

Tim, my first statement wasnt meant to be funny, I can assure you that. You know me better then that, and have my number any time you want to chat about it.

I have a sport 20 for sale if anyone wants one.........it may or may not meet the rules, but it wont see the pond this year, again anyways...

I ran a scaled down Frank Spt 40, a few years back, when the dang class was in its infancy.... strut through, sponsor, number, enclosed pipe.... followed the spt 40 per ticket, as..... waiting, waiting, when the rules come out.... I should be legal..... now.... i run an old scaled down Budweiser scaled roundie.... strut on, no sponsor dekes, the real one full size didnt see a number in the pics, aaaand i cant get the pipe inside it...... now... scrap, 'cuz it's not right, make it right, or.... who wants to *****.... it's not overly fast.... but if i were to dominate a race?.... 'lectric tape number and windsheild?..... a set of rules would be great.... patience, i guess.... The anality, and yeah, a rigger is a rigger..... of the next class to get picked on, well, I can drop that too...... keep it up.... and wonder why attendance is lacking.... test well..... Mike

Yep and only allow old school round nose hydro's :rolleyes: Why don't you just start a 20 thuinderboat class. If I where to build a model that looked like are old 145(now 2.5L) you guy's would say it is illegal and it was built back in 1982. We had recessed transoms and struts hanging off of them back then. Want pictures? Or should we just all run sport 20's and 40's that look like Miss Thriftway hulls, smoke some herb and say that's cool dude! I do not think you guy's know what the spirit of the hydroplane is. It has always been creativity not rules on hull design. Don't get me wrong riggers or modified riggers have no place in the sport hydro class.

Oh what here I found some pictures of past hydro's with recessed thin transoms and struts on the transom. How could they. don't they know it does nothing for the performace or handling or setup.
I just did not follow your point on this one.. What is a 20 thunderboat? Are you saying a model of a thunderboat (full size unlimited hydroplane that uses a 21 size engine?)

Also.. Just a question, have you ever heard of a class called the "Scale Twenty".. its not run my district (any district for that matter) any more but it was a cool one!

Also sense we are going back a bit.. what year was the first year "sport 20s were run in Dist 4 and 5 (where they originated from) and what year did they run as a class at the nats.. It was not that long ago but Im not sure you were racing RC at that time.. (I dont remember you at the TCMBC pond)

In any case again.. you wright em up and I will vote!

Grim

Mike, you can have my burts. Its legal to any set of rules that will come out.... Ill drop it off this weekend some time. Just ad your motor, pipe and prop, and fix the cowling. Im done with it.....

Grim the only thing you want to protect is the rules that you starting in IMPBA for the sport class's. Times change Dude. Rock On Man! Wow. Start a dam thunder boat 20 and 40 class if that is what you want.

Grim maybe we are thinking alike and do not understand each other on the web. I have a real passion for Hydro's. Did you know there were kneeler and laydown inboards in the 80's?

Yep. lol...have you seen my beer holder in my shop!..lol

ROCK AND ROLL MAN!...

Grim

Post had been deleted by IW Admin. do not use profanity in this website.

dude.. you blew it with the language man... to bad you could not just have some good back and forth banter.

Good luck and see ya in June..

Grim

YES, it should mimic of the real boatr, but not be scale. DOESN'T ALL RC MIMIC TO THE REAL DEAL.... and the rules DON'T let you, its messed up!TL
My point also. I never said anything about needing to be scale Grim. That is for the 1/8 scale class and that is cool but, to anal for me. What is 20 Thunder boat? That is what the sport hydro classes would be. If all present style limeted and unlimeted hull designs were illegal, thats all. Never said a thing about it ever being a class anywhere in the country.

Here is my take on the whole sport hydro classes as far as local racing not records. They just need to represent a limited or unlimited hull of past or present. Just like the current rule reads. Which you (Grim) I believe hyelped write. And if it looks like a rigger, runs like a rigger. Then it's a rigger and not leagal in sport hydro.

No hard feelings about anything just bantering. See ya in June for a good time at the pound. No hard feelings about anything just bantering.

Back