B sport tunnel rule change

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Kensill

The B Sport Tunnel rule change that proposed at the IMPBA board meeting in Evansville Indiana, has been accepted by the board. It will now go out to the membership to be voted on. Please vote yes on this. If you are wondering what my proposal was about, I will explain it. Basically it is to allow the interchange of parts on the same size outboard from the same manufacturer . A good example would be replacing the muffler on the water cooled OS 21 with the one from the air cooled one. This would also make it legal to run a NAMBA legal A stock tunnel in the IMPBA B Sport Tunnel class

Not sure why we want or need to screw around with a good thing. I see a ton of participation in the B Stock class and no shortage of entries. Why do we need cobbeled up engines. If you want to change the rule, change it so nothing but stock engines can be run so driving determines the outcome. If you want to run a Frankenstein enegine, run B Mod Tunnel. Thats my two cents. Vote NO!

New guy here, so take that for what it is. I'm really dying to know, why isn't there just a stock class? Seems to me it'd make it really easy to get into model boating. At least, the new guys could concentrate on their model and learning, rather than doing that plus figuring out how to polish their lower and mod the internals (even though I've seen this topic on here before and was told "no mods needed"). "No mods needed" is beside the fact...I go back to my initial question, "Why no stock class"?

Has the stock class been tried and failed in the past? What's the real deal here? I'm honestly curious.

-Joey

EDIT: Oh, and for the record, I'm not planning on polishing the lower or modding the internals. At this point I just don't care that much. I just know it's legal in IMPBA B sport. Which is...odd. I consider it counterproductive.

Last edited by a moderator:
I for 1 agree with this rule change ........

Some of us can not afford to pay the price of all the New O.S. state of the art newer engines,

if we are allowed to buy a few parts and still be leagle we might stand a chance to not to have all the

big $$ Boys blowing past us all the time .........

I know more than once I have been beaten by the $$$ that the big boys got , I understand we all like to win but lets make it affordable for the guys that do not have the Big Bucks to make a shot at it instead of makeing it a big buck winner all the time .

Is anyone tired of not haveing a chance to win ...

I ask that everyone that reads this to consider what this will due for the most affordable class in Rc Boat raceing..

I recently coached a Rookie at our own Celina Race and he won in the class he was most worried about ,

Took his first swim LOL , I cancled running my boats 1/2 way threw the first day and decided to coach Mr Dan and help my club run the race .. I got more satisfaction coaching Dan to a win than if I would won myself ...

Had a awsum weekend and tought him how to win > Give thease guys a chance to win PLEASE..

Vote Yes Please > I know the Big Dollars are going to be pi$$ed at me { I do Not Care }

We need to show the rookies they can win also ........

Rick Reisinger

Adding a V2 muffler ($59.99 = $10 shipping) = $69.99 to an old watercooled OS 21XM does little to it performance wise and you have spent $70. Send your new watercooled powerhead to Gene Monger in FL for his $100 mod, combine with a $40 Sholand Lynx Cut prop and you will be equal in speed to anyone in the class, provided your running a modern hull. $ don't make you go fast, knowledge does.

Respectfully, Beasley

I for 1 agree with this rule change ........

Some of us can not afford to pay the price of all the New O.S. state of the art newer engines,

if we are allowed to buy a few parts and still be leagle we might stand a chance to not to have all the

big $$ Boys blowing past us all the time .........
Wait a minute..wasn't the water cooled O.S. around $400 too? There's no great price difference between the two (water and air cooled). Plus, if a new guy gets into inboards, all of those 3.5 inboards are around $400 as well. I don't think price of the engine is a valid argument for new guys.

You do bring up a valid point, however. Parts. That is one aspect that I haven't thought of. Thanks for the insight.

-Joey

Edited for formatting (sorry).

muffler >

Stock Number LXBJRB Retail Price‡
Tower's Low Price
$59.99
spacer.gif
Stock Status
Stock Number LXBJRN Retail Price‡
69.99 Tower's Low Price
$59.99
spacer.gif
Stock Status In Stock

Head Cost >>

Stock Number LXBJRN Retail Price‡
69.99 Tower's Low Price
$59.99
spacer.gif

Stock Status In Stock
+ SHIPPING Now we are at $140 to make it legal to run > now why would anyone join IMPBA with there older version O.S. or a older K&B to race knowing that there family's will do without so the big $$$ boys get to race there $650 engines they get to win REALY ????

Joey,

True stock is the way it's done for NAMBA. IMPBA chose stock appearing above the cavitation plate, to make it easier on CD's at the races by not requiring tear-down of engines. What Bob is trying to accomplish is to align the rules used in this class for K&B, with the OS as well. In other words, if OS shipped the part on one of their 21 OB engines, it's legal to run in any combination on a Sport B OS engine. This will make it even easier on the CD's at the IMPBA races. I for one would like to see us in NAMBA match the Sport B rules with those of the IMPBA at some point, to make it easier for boaters to run the same boats in both organizations, but that discussion is for another day.

P.S.

I bought 2 O.S. .21 outboards this winter for $175 each ...

Yes even someone not retired can afford that and justified the cost of a $600 new engine with mods ..

Give everyone a chance unless You got the $$$$ {{{{ Really }}}}

RonShaw: True stock is the way it's done for NAMBA.
Sounds fine! Does it work there? I know the local club (that used to be...seems they're dead now) was NAMBA. Too bad..I reckon I got into it too late. I seem so bent-up about IMPBA rules, is because I was about to send in my new member paperwork today. I want to practice and run with the guys in Huntsville, but they don't have many B tunnels. There's nothing wrong with that, I just say that because it's my reality. I can travel (do with my helicopters), but I'm trying to figure out if it's really worth it.

IMPBA chose stock appearing above the cavitation plate, to make it easier on CD's at the races by not requiring tear-down of engines.
Oh OK. I see. It's not appealing to me as a new guy, but I sort of understand that.

I for one would like to see us in NAMBA match the Sport B rules with those of the IMPBA at some point, to make it easier for boaters to run the same boats in both organizations, but that discussion is for another day.
That certainly has many positives as well. Thanks again, Ron. I'm sorry if anyone thinks these dumb questions derail the thread.

-Joey

Edit: I apologize for all of the whining. It's y'alls game, and I'm just a visitor. If this rule is what y'all want, have at it. I still really love running this boat, and it's an awesome sport. Cheers to all.

Joey,

"The only dumb questions are those never asked!!"....
default_smile.png
The guys in Huntsville are some of the best boaters in the country. Many of the outboard records that are still held todsy, were set at that pond. I'm sure there are some tunnel guys still there that you can run with and learn from.

Joey,

"The only dumb questions are those never asked!!"....
default_smile.png
The guys in Huntsville are some of the best boaters in the country. Many of the outboard records that are still held todsy, were set at that pond. I'm sure there are some tunnel guys still there that you can run with and learn from.
I have no doubt! Those guys are great, and poor Bill (bless him!) has had to answer too many of my emails!

So, does the stock class work in NAMBA?

Rick, I am as penny pinching as the next guy. I do not understand your notion that someone is running $650 engines in B Stock class. In B Mod classyes, that can be the price. A brand new V2 is $350 shipped using the discount code from tower. Straight out of the box with the right prop it is fast enough to be competitive to win. A New Old Stock Watercooled is running $300 these days when you can find them, sometines $250. So unless a guy is just an indiot with money falling out of his pocket a B Stock engine does not cost $650. If you have new watercooled powerheads you bought for $175 each send one to Gene Monger for a mod and buy a Shouland prop and you will be on top of the class for less than the cost of a new V2. Good luck, James

I will vote not to change it.. its fine the way it is.. its not like NO motors are available...

Grim

The stock class has worked in NAMBA for many years. To verify compliance, the top place finishers are subject to complete inspections including tear downs.

Back to the original post, I see NOBODY wanting to run a K&B or a Thunder Tiger at all in outboard. The OS has put them in the dust ben, both from a performance and a relaibiltiy standpoint. MECOA failed their mission to keep the K&B brand alive and relevant, and their price structure is equal to or above OS so go figure. I have never seen anyone from NAMBA wanting to run their stock boat in an IMPBA class either. NAMBA and IMPBA are regional and people cannot afford to travel the country any more, gas will never go back down so thats that. I will vote NO.

The stock class has worked in NAMBA for many years. To verify compliance, the top place finishers are subject to complete inspections including tear downs.
Yes, I raced NAMBA in KS way back when and in 20 and 40 stock tunnel they tore your engine down after the race (if you placed 1st, 2nd or 3rd place) and did inspections. Anyone found mix-matching parts was stripped of their finishing position. That was awesome racing, all about driving. 8701s on Hot Shots duking it out.

Back