B sport tunnel rule change

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bob.. I don’t understand.. you’re asking for input and I am providing... Is our IMPBA OBD really asking me, an IMPBA member to not express his opinion… yea.. seems so

Part of the mentality of the race is that somebody from the factory must have a secret.. well I do.. but its no real secret... I do however burn a bunch of fuel.. (and lets face it.. I don’t win all that much anymore)..

KNOCK KNOCK.. bob.. Adam just won the IMPBA Nats and is NOT a team member of anything.. he is just a nice kid working in Product Support… and likes racing boats.. (SCORE one for the guy who wants the win!).. truth is I had to ask him what hull he used, prop and fuel,

I had no idea..lol

Grim

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=medium]O yea.. here is my Secret[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]T= Tear it down[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]E= Eliminate the weight[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]S= Sand and polish everything[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]T= tighten the bolts….[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]There you go.. now you all know….[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Grim[/SIZE]

so technically that is modified inside Grim
default_smile.png

I was going to leave this alone (but who would have though) I had to say my Aussie $1.

I don't like the idea of removing finishing from the motor. I understand things like a flywheel will 'wear' over time, but to purposly remove anodising (for example) just make them look wrong. for example, if I saw a Sport OS (out of the box, head shime remove, mongar modded, what ever) sitting next to a OS with an Oiler attached to the motor, with the head all poilished up it just wouldnt sit right for me as far as my thoughts on the intentions of the class.

I don't care for the performance advantage, but more for the look of it to outsiders and trying to sell it to everyone that it isnt a mod class, just an easy to 'manage' 'Spec' class...

Hmm, hope that makes sense to someone other than me
default_smile.png

Mike

Don't you read before you post? You say Adam works in product support. Is that Hobbico Product Support? If so, then as a paid employee of Hobbico, he is part of the team and privy to parts and info that us non-team members aren't. Did I read your post wrong?

Bob.. I dont understand.. youre asking for input and I am providing... Is our IMPBA OBD really asking me, an IMPBA member to not express his opinion yea.. seems so

Part of the mentality of the race is that somebody from the factory must have a secret.. well I do.. but its no real secret... I do however burn a bunch of fuel.. (and lets face it.. I dont win all that much anymore)..

KNOCK KNOCK.. bob.. Adam just won the IMPBA Nats and is NOT a team member of anything.. he is just a nice kid working in Product Support and likes racing boats.. (SCORE one for the guy who wants the win!).. truth is I had to ask him what hull he used, prop and fuel,

I had no idea..lol

Grim

Mike z

You are losing credibility with me, my friend. You say that you don't spend any time "modifying" your motors for the sport class, and yet in another post you say you polish everything inside the motor.

I have yet to spend one extra dime or spend countless hours working over a OS sport motor.. I pull the head shim.. that's it..

I will say this.. THANK YOU BOB for your open thinking. We do need that in our hobby.

I don't see this bringing in new racers as much as NAMBA OPC rules would..

Grim

Yep.. O man do you live in a dream world..... he does.... he is also OUR CURRENT CHAMPION.. of YOUR ORGANZATION the IMPBA.

Your on your own bob... I am not looking to win your credibility.. I am STATING MY OPINION.. that what we are doing here no more no less.

Look at my post again.. read carefully my secret... can you spell...lol

Good luck Bob.. I have said my part and I will leave it up to time and the voters...

Grim

Keep fightin' it out boys... everybody loses... I'd thought we'd gotten the winter version over with... man alive... I just passed again on a new sport hull graciously offered.... why?.. because I'm too tired and gaining laziness, to instill the work needed to get competitive in the hunt... and in my experience the tunnel hulls take a massive massive amount of time and effort ( read, rowing after, yadda yadda), to absolutely hone down to race condition perfection... its not just the engine... its not. it's the work you install ( read fuel burning) on propellors, to overall hull harmony.... hands down. and... ill throw this out to the new guys after 15 years never winning against Mike Z. Yeah.. he's good...I've also seen him defeated... When the villian s1 came out....i built my "sportie" with the then newer gold head w/c kb then available..head clearance only.... and... I FOCUSED on taking it to a pinnacle sought.... 2 full test seasons.... i still have all the props....( yeah, i have over 100 butchered attempts) and the work paid off... one in a million motor... maybe.... right down to bb's in the r box for balance... I'd done it... without sending the engine away, no tricks, just work... it clocked well, railed the turns and ate water.... and... I only did it to prove to myself that it wasnt engine voodoo, hot fuel, or whatever else i was getting my butt handed to me on the circuit... Zaborowski's mill is wicked... he's more tricks ( read experience, easily), that that clock hits he's in one, and on one every time... every time... and its unexplainable.... cobra... seriously... think he works on his milling?.. sure he does.. do you?.. watch him in his chair tuning his props all day? now.. this aint the Zaborowski show, he just happened to be the man in d4 to beat was all...Wally Marsh happened to be my mentor, also, and... I never have won against either man outright... and wont sadly I'm unwilling anymore to work that hard.. i still work even harder on outriggers i test.... I've seen it ALL in sport.... carbs, flywheels, exhaust, displacement, and what for?.. an edge people mistakenly think they need to "get in there".... you gotta break rules to win, maybe, thats you... sleep with it... I'm not suffering the BS in sport class... and im not at all defending Mike by far.... Bob... id raced against you for years also... youre pretty hot, too... never won to date, either... IMO, the interchanging rule will really really confuse race officials and cause discord nationwide...( like there isnt enough already) somebody will start winning with some conglomeration of something and he'll be accused some time in short order.... guaranteed... if, youre lucky a sharp eyed CD may catch the guy.... question 1, id always wondered, was if the OS XYZ (whatever) buggy timed piston guys were using as an upgrade/replacement was displacement legal?.. ive never seen an engine torn down... and.. i have a .25 p/liner i bought at a garage sale thats micro thousandths away from slipping in.... just thoughts surely... lol...i dont own a sport engine... I was, all for the claim rule, and will admit not having a set enough to enact it, because well yeah, im getting lapped!.... or was, until i learned how to maybe unload the propellor for top end... weight the boat for water conditions, whatever... and i mean overall hull integrity, whatever... its an absolute ton of work.... install it... what do you have to lose?.. another heat?.. had fun doing it though... New guys.. read into this... my pit man, is a tunnel lifer... and an absolute wall of plaques from one thing.... finish the race... tests every sunday, on low airplane nitro,OS engine i dont care to know about, with a good propellor and a hull, take a hurricane... = points to wins... Marty...drives smart too... heres a one heat placement win for somebody: clock hits and 4 boats all diving into one... 99% 2 boats come out... 6 boat heat youre in 4th... boats 1 and 2 are getting racy up front... blow off... 3rd... more to it... points... wood. Keep fighting around... and ill be testing at home and clubs will fail from lack of participants trending every year.... wanna buy performance?.. Mongar helps... Sholunds 442's intensively are the deal... should you possibly get a series until the engine and boat show you whats what.... well maybe, ... aint gonna help, it just isnt until you trim the thing, balance the thing, tip, tilt, tweak, sharpen, dull, time, and RUN it.... then..finish a race.... its all good.... Vote?.. no... you guys fight... My piped boat tested well sunday... see you on the circuit.... Mike

Working at Hobbico gives you access to parts non-team guys don't have????????? Man I wish I worked there so I could get some of those "special" parts.............oh wait I do and the fact is that it does not work that way.

When we order items they are the same parts pulled from the same locations in the same warehouse as everyone else. There is absolutely nothing we can order that no one else can.

............................Now it would be a different story if I could figure out how to get on that mythical Hobbico "team" that some state exists. I bet I could get ahold of some of those phantom parts then.......................................

Unless I see another completely false statement this will the last I post on this matter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Working at Hobbico gives you access to the knowledge of all racer/ employees. Anyone who says working for the big guys isn't an advantage makes me think yeah right

Working at Hobbico gives you access to parts non-team guys don't have????????? Man I wish I worked there so I could get some of those "special" parts.............oh wait I do and the fact is that it does not work that way.

When we order items they are the same parts pulled from the same locations in the same warehouse as everyone else. There is absolutely nothing we can order that no one else can.

............................Now it would be a different story if I could figure out how to get on that mythical Hobbico "team" that some state exists. I bet I could get ahold of some of those phantom parts then.......................................

Unless I see another completely false statement this will the last I post on this matter.

Bob.. thats true.. Wayne has access to my knolage and so do the two other guys that boat race here at Hobbico..... then again.. everybody on here does.. all they have to do is ask.

Grim

Lets see.. that would be the T.. no….E part of the secret... I take the combublater and sand off the pinaring.. I have found that taking it all the way off so the mass is gone is best.. I also run light weight fuel.........

default_blink.png

Grim

P.S. you guys dont really think I have secrets to ya....lol

[SIZE=10.5pt]I don’t like be called a liar but I get it.. you really don’t know me… and.. I don’t know you.. That’s OK.. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Im not going to call you out as anything.. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Good racing[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Grim[/SIZE]

.. then again.. everybody on here does.. all they have to do is ask.

Grim
Grim,

I was simply asking as you stated above was ok, thats all. If you don't want to share thats ok, dont offer. Have a great day!!

Offers are open (ALWAYS).. I make ZERO changes to my motors.. Yank the shim.. and

T

E

S

T

Grim

Bob,

I appreciate all of your hard work on this proposal and look forward to more news as it progresses toward a full membership vote. Thanks.

As probably the IW member with the most years of racing model outboards and a HOBBICO sponsored racer before Grim started working there, I find this discussion very interesting. I also have the somewhat unenviable record of being disqualified from 3 NAMBA National Outboard Championships because parts of the engine/s I was running were not stock. It's a lame excuse, but the parts were borrowed from other model boaters and I assumed they were stock. However, we all know about "ASSUME."

My experience with allowing the interchanging of parts between different engine generations as allowed in NAMBA has been basically, "What's the big deal?" I need to quantify that this observation has been made with K&B engines. I have not observed performance gains just switching parts. However, I have witnessed performance gains when making internal modifications to engines that compete in the IMPBA 20 Sport Tunnel Class. When I race my NAMBA legal O.S. 21 Outboard in Hobart, I accept the fact that I don't have as much power as some of the other contestants. I just accept the situation and enjoy the opportunity to compete at a very high level.

Since I don't have a horse in this race, I probably shouldn't be posting on the topic. However, I think my post is more of an observation than a position.

JD

Back