IMPBA Sport 20/40 2012 Rule Proposal, Author Needs Input Please

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok, again, strut location??????????

waiting patiently.

I really want it to hang off the back side. MUCH easier to set up IMO and also to build as well.

waiting patiently.

I really want it to hang off the back side. MUCH easier to set up IMO and also to build as well.
Well hang it off the transom now and vote for the rule allowing a choice. You can allways make it shorter if the rule wont pass.

waiting patiently.

Pay attention Carl the strut rule will be a separate vote,nothing will happen till January. I dont know if Paul or Luc will be doing that proposal...

sebastiencaron, I sure as frack hope so as well.

am still wanting to do a winter FE sport 40 project as well for myself. and they let them hang it off the a _ _ end. :) which I like of course.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jon send me a pic of your boat saymikey@aol

Com
Mike, I will send you some specs. I should have sent them in a long time ago, but lost track of time.
Here are some dimensions off of my boat that i think pertain to the new rule.

Tunnel Width and distance between ride pads = 11"

Transom width bottom = 5.6"

Transom width top = 8.5"

Kealson break = 1.25" per side

Probably won't make the new rules, but should be grandfathered in per my other post.

I don't like the way my hull heat races, so I am going to go in a new direction that will follow the new rules if I have enough time. I do not want to see guys not race due to a new rule. Given the participation level these days, we should not be sending anyone away.

thats what this rule changes is going to do, chase people away, I think its ludicrist, its a SPORT CLASS not a scale class
This rule change is to try and maintain the integrity of the class. This rule change will NOT be forced on the membership it will hopefully be PASSED by the membership.

Here's an idea,, Why don't we just "cut and paste" the NAMBA rules and use them.

That way, when traveling to different areas of the country, ALL will be using the same rule set.

I personally race IMPBA back when it was a "new" class, then went to the heart of NAMBA country, California, and guess what. I had to make NO changes to be legal.

Moved back to Florida while it was STILL IMPBA,, guess what,, I was still legal. Florida shifted to NAMBA Holy cow,,, I'm still racing a legal boat.

Now I'm in Georgia, racing under IMPBA and still racing legal...

I've sat back and watched this long enough,,, were not building a space shuttle here,, where racing model boats for fun and relaxation.

FIRE AWAY my friends my force fields up.

Sport 40 - is short for Sportsman 40 Hydro , this does not mean novice or beginner. Rules are there to maintain the integrity of our sport, otherwise we will allbe running a rigger with a Deck on it

Its not so hard to see why there is a slow down in new members.and its not because you cant hang a strut on the back of the transom. In the last 10 yrs there are alot of new options, XBox, and the miriad of RTR cas trucks boats planes, helicopters. Most of which require no building skills at all. They also dont require 2 months to order and assemble the hull, hardware , engine, radio. paint. and most not even a retrieve boat just in case, or a place to run them.

To me the racing and building tuning we enjoy is kind of hidden from the average hobbyist. Go into your average hobby shop ( and I dont mean a place like Phils Hobby).

Ask them if they know who Phil Thomas or Andy Brown is? Seaducer Boats? Want to order an AA45 engine? Unless someone knows where and why to look for this info they may not even find it.

This doesnt even touch on some of the boats in the past that could have brought more people in but ended up being horrid. There are a few I could mention but wont suffice it to say didnt help bring anybody in.. Many of the people that bought these if they didnt know anybody to help them in most cases could not go to the hobby shop and get answers.

I am not blaming anyone, just clarifying the situation when it comes to some of the conversation in this thread

Maybe a forum on how to improve the hobby may net some answers - just a thought - and yes I have ideas on this Im not one to just comment/ complain and not atleast have an idea of kind even if its wrong - discusion stirs thought

Now back to the immediate issue 45 days to January and still no clarification on the proposal. Since I have plenty of time at the moment I am offering up my time to help get this done. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help this process

Mark

You are spot on in your assesment of our hobby. This should be it's own thread.

There may not be a decision made in January in regards to the proposals. It would be wise to get the proposals out there for people to read and decide. It's also a bad time to change rules right in the middle of "build season". We will all have to wait till the new year when the new officers get in and have a meeting.

Here's an idea,, Why don't we just "cut and paste" the NAMBA rules and use them.

That way, when traveling to different areas of the country, ALL will be using the same rule set.

I personally race IMPBA back when it was a "new" class, then went to the heart of NAMBA country, California, and guess what. I had to make NO changes to be legal.

Moved back to Florida while it was STILL IMPBA,, guess what,, I was still legal. Florida shifted to NAMBA Holy cow,,, I'm still racing a legal boat.

I've sat back and watched this long enough,,, were not building a space shuttle here,, where racing model boats for fun and relaxation.

I personally don't care what the new rules are, I just don't want to see a bunch of boats that were legal in years past be made obsolete for their current owners. No need for the new rules to accomodate the old boat's design. Just grandfather in specific hulls to the current owner and let the new rules apply to all new boats. I don't build a new boat every year, so I sure would hate to see one that I like be rendered to the firewood pile......Just deal with the legacy issue and move on with the new rules.

Been watching and reading this thread very closely. Yes, there needs to be solid rules in place to prevent and remove the gray areas and to help refuce the bastardized hulls that are showing up at the races. Its not about rookies, sport, or even toy boats, but about assurance that the boats that end up in the winners circle are following the same class clarification as everyone else.

We are having some of the same issues in the outboard classes that you hydro guys are having. Our rules are in serious need of clarification, as what has always been "a given" in the past and not clarified, has provided too much gray area in the rules for others to use to justify their reasoning for bastardized setups. Good luck with your quest and at the end a vote will be the deciding factor as it should be.

Then the outboard guys can get to work and get our rules better clarified too...... :)

You must have a full length cowl Rick. We can't race our IMPBA legal Sport 45 in NAMBA, because the cowl does not fully enclose the pipe. Or did NAMBA change that rule in recent years?

Nope, that has not changed. We NAMBA folks still manage to race sport 40 with enclosed pipes. :ph34r:

Latest posts

Back