PLEASE READ IMPBA SPORT 20/40 RULES

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Sheren

Staff member
At an emergency meeting this evening with the IMPBA Board the Trial Sport 20/40 rules have been withdrawn by the author.

The rules are being rewritten by a committee with several manufactures input. The will be out in an upcoming Roostertail.

I would like to thank everyone that volunteered to help with this task.

The members spoke and the IMPBA listened.

Have a great racing season.

Kevin Sheren

IMPBA President

Thanks Kevin, for letting us know.

Thanks to the entire board for meeting/agreeing on this. Thanks to the author for withdrawing for now.

Is it May yet??

Last edited by a moderator:
Good to see awareness brought forth on the subject of IMPBA "NITRO" Sport Hydros.

Its a good solid set of classes but was...is... in danger of becoming something way beyond the "vague" intent.

I for one hope this all gets worked out.

Let’er eat!

Grim

Good to see awareness brought forth on the subject of IMPBA "NITRO" Sport Hydros.

Its a good solid set of classes but was...is... in danger of becoming something way beyond the "vague" intent.

I for one hope this all gets worked out.

Let’er eat!

Grim

I agree with Mike here,,,, I for one DO NOT WANT our sport-20 & 40 classes to end up like the Gas Sport Hydro class!!!

This WAS the road, that WAS being taken!!! Hopefully we can come up with a compromise.

My opinion is that the Sport hydro hull should be a common spec for all powerplants. The lengths can vary based on Engine class, but the basic hull layout should be the same. .....Just my thoughts.......

Im not sure anybody disagrees but try and get the Gas guys to change now.. and you will have holy hell break loose like this poor old topic did. Lol

Grandfather this.. You left that out.. you left out that mfg.. your picking on me just cuz the boat won.. on and on..lol

Its fix the rules now or let one MFG push them and have the class change without” your input!

Im preaching. You know the gig.. man

Grim

You might be able to pass a revised version for nitro and FE, but it will most likely fail if you include the gasser crowd.

You might be able to pass a revised version for nitro and FE, but it will most likely fail if you include the gasser crowd.
You know... if you (one of the organizations... or BOTH... ;) ) could make that happen, who cares what the gasser crowd does! The Nitro and FE groups share a lot of the same hulls, and race in a lot of the same venues... Gas can do what it wants... I know that most of us FE-guys would LOVE to see a common set of Sport Hydro rules, simply because it makes hulls available across the boundries of power systems...

"Make it so, Number One..."... :D

Grim,

That's why my proposal would be fairly open:

Continous sheeting between sponsons from leading edge of tunnel floor to sponson transom.

25% pickle fork, 2 wings up to 5" combined chord maximum, 1 wing to 3.5" chord maximum.

Transom OAWidth minimium of 67% of tunnel width. No ride pads or bottom protrusions over 5/32" wide aft of the Sponson transom.

Air trap must be continuos from sponson transom to termination point. Max height of air trap fence at rear termination point is 1/4" from bottom of hull.

Belly pans allowed, but no more than 3/8" step at rear of pan, and pan must end before 50% of afterplane (again, not planing surface, so it must not touch table top when set on sponsons and strut w/o skeg).

Covered engine, driver or enclosed cockpit windshield decal, number and sponsor.

Length specs per current rules.

Maybe add transom planing surface minimum width of 40% or whatever NAMBA says. regarding this.

I'm just happy I can run my Whip 20 and PT 20 this year.

I would like to say I hope when the new.rules go into effect the committee will except all previous hulls to be runnable and or grandfathered in. I for one would like to get a round noise sport 20 running. We have to appreciate the classic hull designs as well the new ones coming forward.

Thanks to the IMPBA committee for doing this.

TL

You know... if you (one of the organizations... or BOTH... ;) ) could make that happen, who cares what the gasser crowd does! The Nitro and FE groups share a lot of the same hulls, and race in a lot of the same venues... Gas can do what it wants... I know that most of us FE-guys would LOVE to see a common set of Sport Hydro rules, simply because it makes hulls available across the boundries of power systems...

"Make it so, Number One..."... :D
It would be nice to have one hull reference for sport hydro(nitro and FE). Who knows, maybe the revised rules will be something that us FE guys want to adopt too.

Who knows, maybe the revised rules will be something that us FE guys want to adopt too.
Hahaha... I'll let you guys push that one... I'll be hiding under my chair, trying to stay out of it, but likely being blamed for it anyhow... :D

Glad I checked in here. I was actually looking for info on the Hobart Race in September and see that there is question about the legality of the hull I planned on racing there. I hope that you figure it out soon enough for me to determine if I should buy tickets and book a room or not. We had a similar situation with the belly pan depth of the Phill Thomas boats in NAMBA a few years back. I was able to get those boats legal to continue to race in NAMBA with a rule rewrite that made them legal. I hope that you are able to come up with a solution that keeps people on the water and not on the benches. The Mutt II for what it's worth is only made that way to make it come out of the mold. The air traps end far short of where they would be an effective running surface. I don't envy your job as the NAMBA Sport Hydro Director I feel your pain. I trust that you will come up with a way to keep us all racing in the end.

They need to make this rule across the board dont matter if its nitro or gas or fe these are suppose to be scale style boats.IMPBA needs to make it the same but following the scale of the size of boats.They get everybody in a uproar over something not thought tru.I started the other thread but was referring to gas hull but opened a can of worms.Now they got records set with a modified rigger style sport hydro HOKEY

They need to make this rule across the board dont matter if its nitro or gas or fe these are suppose to be scale style boats.IMPBA needs to make it the same but following the scale of the size of boats.They get everybody in a uproar over something not thought tru.I started the other thread but was referring to gas hull but opened a can of worms.Now they got records set with a modified rigger style sport hydro HOKEY
This will never happen,the gas crowd guys are after speed.The sport hydro guys are after sport hydros that are 3 point hydros of the past

I think Mike hit the nail on the head. The gas hydro guys are all about performance. The new gas sport hydros are running speeds in the low 70s now, and that is heat racing speeds. The closest you are going to get in scale gas boats are the thunderboats.

Back