PLEASE READ IMPBA SPORT 20/40 RULES

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
<p>

dude.. you blew it with the language man... to bad you could not just have some good back and forth banter.

Good luck and see ya in June..

Grim
That's a cop out.One thing is for certain. We all don't want it to turn into a like/mod. rigger deal. I'm glad to see that!See ya at the race!I would just like sporg20/40 to be able to have a recessed transom and be able to mount the strut on the back. THAT SIPMPLE!!!TL

Last edited by a moderator:
More popcorn,where did you guys come from?The boat you propose to build has never been a legal sport boat.Sport40 rule has always been strut under boat.

More popcorn,where did you guys come from?The boat you propose to build has never been a legal sport boat.Sport40 rule has always been strut under boat.
Hi Mike, We come from a fullsize hydroplane racing family since we were in dippers. Race all day, party and repair boats and motors all night so we can race the next day. :D

Yes the boats pictured would not be legal in sport 40 because of the strut on the back of the transon. But it could be a sport 20. Also why the heck does the strut have to be under the hull anyways in sport 40?

MikeyNo kidding,just like they were in the '70. It shouldn't be. Some people are still under a rock. The rules need to be stept up a bit. TL

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Mike,  We come from a fullsize hydroplane racing family since we were in dippers. Race all day, party and repair boats and motors all night so we can race the next day. :D

Yes the boats pictured would not be legal in sport 40 because of the strut on the back of the transon. But it could be a sport 20. Also why the heck does the strut have to be under the hull anyways in sport 40?
It's obvious the rules were not written to mimic the unlimited and limited boat.TL

The rules have worked well in present form.Maybe you should try it our way first.....Here is an example build a boat like you want with a 2 inch over hang off the transom and loose 2 inches of boat length for what?

Attached is a sketch I threw together in about 10 minutes and assumes more detail will be added.

The major part that the new rules should try to explain is what a "modified rigger" is, and the words "modified rigger" should be taken out all together. I have been in this hobby for a long time (22 years) and most of them have been with the sport40. The class is great because there are limiting factors that keep the boats at an even playing field. The quick sketch shows what I believe the "intent" of the class was and should remain.

I was against the gas sport hydro rule change 100% and will always be against the new rules. There is no going back now though. It destroyed the "limiting factors" that kept the manufacturers in check.

For the sport40/20 rules, I would keep them the same from one to the other. I know several of the old timers like the strut under the boat, but it didn't hurt sport20 so I do not believe it would hurt 40. It is just easier to have the strut on the transom. All current real boats have struts on the transom.

I wouldn't dwell on air traps, just as long as they don't act like a planing surface. I liked the 1/8" max width rule that was in place.

The other main area of concern deals with transom width.

Pickles could have a minimum transom width based on the width of the inside sponsons.

Conventionals would not have a minimum transom width since most had a very narrow transom (Farmers, Lloyds etc).

Try to keep the rules as simple as possible. Address the relationship between the inside sponson and the bottom skin, and address the transom width.

Rear shoes: Leave them off because it is a limiting factor.

Transom cutouts: Leave the out because it is a limiting factor.

You MUST maintain the limiting factors to keep the competition at an even playing field.

My thoughts and my thoughts only. Please be nice.

HYDRO LEGALITIES.pdf

Brian Blazer

Blazer Marine

Attachments

• HYDRO LEGALITIES.pdf
    13.4 KB · Views: 119
I like your sketchs and there explanation Brian. Simple and straight to the point. Thank you.

Mark

The rules have worked well in present form.Maybe you should try it our way first.....Here is an example  build a boat like you want with a 2 inch over hang off the transom and loose 2 inches of boat length for what?
MikeyI have been running and building sport 20 for a few years now. So I have tried it "our way" ( the present way ). Another thing who ever said anything about a 2" recess?Lastly, think about what you are saying. Why would anyone ever wast the time and the money to build an illegal hull...TL

Ok, here are my thoughts,,, I have been around for a few years, and also have been running sport-40 for most of my 26 years in the hobby.

I really don't see a performance gain in the recessed transom, or the strut mounted on the transom. But would have to limit how far aft the hardware would be allowed to extend. So I would NOT have a problem allowing it,,, AGAIN,, just my thoughts being thrown out there!!

I also like Brians drawings,, the first drawing, that indicates illegal,, is in my eyes what a "modified" outrigger is.

And what the gas sport hydro class has evolved to, and I feel SHOULD NOT be allowed in sport-40 or 20

I have asked Brian via PM to call me about another idea I have, but do not know how to convey in writing.

Ok, here are my thoughts,,, I have been around for a few years, and also have been running sport-40 for most of my 26 years in the hobby.

I really don't see a performance gain in the recessed transom, or the strut mounted on the transom. But would have to limit how far aft the hardware would be allowed to extend.  So I would NOT have a problem allowing it,,,     AGAIN,, just my thoughts being thrown out there!!

I also like Brians drawings,, the first drawing, that indicates illegal,, is in my eyes what a "modified" outrigger is.

And what the gas sport hydro class has evolved to, and I feel SHOULD NOT be allowed in sport-40 or 20

I have asked Brian via PM to call me about another idea I have, but do not know how to convey in writing.
I agree with this post 100%!!!!AMENTL

Brian.. looks great.

If the builder extended the aft plane say.. 1" past the sponon backs and then cut in, what dictates that as not allowed.

Seems like "no Break" (inward) or whatever one might call it in the keelson would solve this. Just staying, the way its drawn I have no doubt it would be busted.

Im just thinking.. not picking man..

Grim

Brian.. looks great.

If the builder extended the aft plane say.. 1" past the sponon backs and then cut in, what dictates that as not allowed.

Seems like "no Break" (inward) or whatever one might call it in the keelson would solve this. Just staying, the way its drawn I have no doubt it would be busted.

Im just thinking.. not picking man..

Grim
Good call.

ok, here is my question folks.

I am in the process of building a sport 40 Whiplash for Tracy Dolphin.

At this time I have STOPPED building the boat due to what is going on

with the rules thing.

Do I continue the build for him, or do I stop all together?

Please advise.

thanks much.

ok, here is my question folks.

I am in the process of building a sport 40 Whiplash for Tracy Dolphin.

At this time I have STOPPED building the boat due to what is going on

with the rules thing.

Do I continue the build for him, or do I stop all together?

Please advise.

thanks much.
Built per plans its fine

Hi guy's, my name is Sébastien, president of les modeleurs marins du Québec in District 1. All of our boat, sport 20, 40 and 60 have a strut behind the transom. Our boat are scale from limited hydroplane boat like 2.5L, 5L or GP boat. For now all of our boat are illegal for IMPBA rules. I absolutely agree with the Brian proposal.

It will be great to have our boat IMPBA legal.

Sébastien

Back