New Fuel Tank

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fletch51

Who needs a stainless steel tank, when wood is so cheap? Just kidding, I need a new stainless steel tank.

This is just a mock-up to check fit and setup. Plus, Walt can see tank layout here.

Walt, I will email the dimensions soon, And mail a check/MO when I know how much to send.

Length: 5.25 inches

Width: 2.25 inches

Front Height: 1.5 inches

Rear Height: 1.75 inches

tank5.JPG

tank6.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Who needs a stainless steel tank, when wood is so cheap? Just kidding, I need a new stainless steel tank.

This is just a mock-up to check fit and setup. Plus, Walt can see tank layout here.

Walt, I will email the dimensions soon, And mail a check/MO when I know how much to send.

tank5.JPG

tank6.JPG
LOL not so crazy! I've halfway convinced myself to make an integral tank in a new JAE .12 tub to see if I can save a bit more weight! The inside of the tub is epoxy sealed already, all it would be is a top epoxied in and a couple of fittings!

tank5.JPG

tank6.JPG
LOL not so crazy! I've halfway convinced myself to make an integral tank in a new JAE .12 tub to see if I can save a bit more weight! The inside of the tub is epoxy sealed already, all it would be is a top epoxied in and a couple of fittings!
Mark, I have never seen an epoxy that will stand up to long fuel exposure...I would suggest some testing first.

Glenn

wonder if some of the motorcycle or auto tank sealers would hold up.......also try contacting FASCO in fla., they know pretty much all there is to know about epoxies & resins ;) . wwwfascoepoxies.com

In the airplane world there are some uses with epoxy tanks, however they have "bladders" inside them. Some of that is to keep from leaking and the other part is to prevent fuel attacking the epoxy. (and this is NOT even nitro!) Nitro raw and epoxy will have issues pretty quick. The tank seal stuff may work but I expect it will not like nitro and will not "stick" to the epoxy very well either.

Line the inside with an IV bag.

It works.

I have Carbon Fiber fuel tanks that I have built. They were built with overlapping sides, shoebox style, and then joined. They were built using Vinylester resin.

fasco lists gasoline storage tank sealers, nitro could be an issue.all the wierd crap that's in gas today is prolly as bad as nitro......call them, they WILL know.

tank5.JPG

tank6.JPG
Mark, I have never seen an epoxy that will stand up to long fuel exposure...I would suggest some testing first.

Glenn
I wondeer if you can use an IV Bag with nitro fuels? If so, that would be a neat tank setup. :)

i don't run gas, but if someone that runs gas & nitro would fill one up & let it sit - time will tell. i sure wouldn't try running it, until i found out from a "wait & see" type test. would be good, no sloshing or bubbles! surprised nobody has tried this yet.

I was told it wouldn't work that the nitro would eat the bag , but i honestly don't know personaly , i run some gas and nitro , iv's for gas and ss tanks for nitro = no problem's

The IV bag can handle pressure, fill one up (use water) and mash it with your hands as hard as you can, it will hold. I am surprized the IV bag holds up to nitro. I tested this 25+ years ago and found the connection into the bag did not like nitro (30%). The connections got "soft" and gummy, but mind you that was a LONG time ago!

using an iv bag inside another sealed bag or container of some sort would be ideal, imho. fuel & pick up line in the bag, pressure on the outside from the pipe. that way, no air would be in the bag, allowing a much more consistent fuel feed throughout to entire run.

OK lets redo the test. 60% J-Cuz swamp water, 500 ML Baxter Bag, Jan15, 2011. Will do regular updates

bag1.jpg

bag2.jpg

Tony

Never heard of 60% gas called swamp water.That's wright your up north.

Dave Roach

Back